SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA?

A

acook81

Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA? :mg:
In reading over the Ford Q1 requirements it appears to be a requirement, but is anyone really doing it and how? We can barely get a group together to develop the PFMEA, much less review it later. :whip:
:yes: I understand the importance of PFMEA and how it should be used as a tool to put out fires before they start. But in reality, no one ever uses it the right way. How do you get a culture to change and understand that if you spend more time on Potential failures, you will not have to spend so much time putting out fires. :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
acook81 said:
In reading over the Ford Q1 requirements it appears to be a requirement, but is anyone really doing it and how? We can barely get a group together to develop the PFMEA, much less review it later. :whip:
:yes: I understand the importance of PFMEA and how it should be used as a tool to put out fires before they start. But in reality, no one ever uses it the right way. How do you get a culture to change and understand that if you spend more time on Potential failures, you will not have to spend so much time putting out fires. :frust:

Some people do, but not enough.

D

Dr. Electron

acook81 said:

I've done one...and I could summarize how if you would like. (It is a little involved) I did it because I had extra time...but I think it makes sense to do it for FMEAs...and really gets people to focus on the most important issues.

B

bgwiehle

Pareto of the Top RPN's of PFMEA

The original poster's question has 2 components - (1) can/do we pareto the RPNs and (2) do we use the FMEAs and pareto charts to target risk reduction.

(1)
As I understand it, most of the canned FMEA programs can generate pareto charts of the RPNs.

We use Excel for our FMEAs*, which are organized as separate processes. This means that a pareto for any particular process is not too difficult but rather involved when collating the RPNs for all the processes that make a specific part, which is what customers want when they ask to see such a chart.

What we have developed (in-house) is an Access-based program that searches through all the Excel FMEA files and builds a database of RPNS with associated failure modes and causes. One of the reports is a Top RPN list, that can be tailored in scope.

* for flexibility of content and presentation

(2)
We generally don't use the pareto list itself. Most of the ongoing high RPNs belong to items that apply to service parts or are otherwise not feasible for improvement (at this time).

We use the PFMEAs directly for targeting improvement. Whenever we do a FMEA review of a new or existing process, risk reduction and improvement ideas are generated and evaluated. Corrective actions and improvements identified by other methods are also documented. These can apply to any RPN.

B.G. Wiehle
PFMEA Coordinator

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
acook81 said:
Do you mean does anyone actually make Pareto charts? If there are only 5 candidates, it's probably not necessary to actually make a chart. In fact, the only reason to make a chart (usually) is if you want a graphic depiction in order to display the problems. I think a lot of people consider the top (you number here) problems, but don't necessarily do anything about them, either because they're doing PFMEA just to satisfy a customer requirement, or there's nothing reasonable that can be done.

A

acook81

:thanks:
Thanks for the quick response. It answer's some questions. I guess the bottom line that I really need to know is if anyone pareto's their PFMEA's for the Ford Q1 requirement? Do you know how anal :D the Ford STA will be about this. It has never been done here and they really need to pass the Q1 audit. I just don't know if I can get it done. I understand how easy a Pareto is to develop. They use M-Pact for the Process Flow, Control Plan and PFMEA, but the data can easily be transformed into a chart. But getting an Engineer to do it, is a whole other box of worms. I don't know how to answer the Q1, the requirement states " FMEA's are reviewed annually or as issues arise. A pareto is used to focus on 1) severity, 2) the product of severity and occurence, and 3) to identify high RPN's in order to prioritize actions to drive improvements."
And the most important question, how do you get people to do this? Just getting the FMEA documented for PPAP is like pulling teeth. :bonk: Any suggestions???

B

bgwiehle

acook81 said:
...And the most important question, how do you get people to do this? Just getting the FMEA documented for PPAP is like pulling teeth. :bonk: Any suggestions???
Our FMEA system works because of 3 key factors:
- management committment (a familiar phrase for any system component of a management standard), esp. by both Plant Engineering & Quality Assurance.
- organization of PFMEA documentation to reduce redundancy by use of process-specific FMEAs (generic across all parts and programs or specific to a particular sub-set).
- focused meetings - 1 hour/week, on a particular process/ process/ part, with relevant required attendees representing a cross-functional group. Over the course of the year, we are able to cover the currently active and the developing processes at least once.

Our documentation has been looked at by Ford, GM & Chrysler, also some other Tier 1's. Improvement is always desirable, but most of the feedback has been favorable.

How you set up your system will depend on your product type and processes.

Hope this helps,
B.G. Wiehle

A

acook81

bgwiehle said:
Our FMEA system works because of 3 key factors:
- management committment (a familiar phrase for any system component of a management standard), esp. by both Plant Engineering & Quality Assurance.
- organization of PFMEA documentation to reduce redundancy by use of process-specific FMEAs (generic across all parts and programs or specific to a particular sub-set).
- focused meetings - 1 hour/week, on a particular process/ process/ part, with relevant required attendees representing a cross-functional group. Over the course of the year, we are able to cover the currently active and the developing processes at least once.

Our documentation has been looked at by Ford, GM & Chrysler, also some other Tier 1's. Improvement is always desirable, but most of the feedback has been favorable.

How you set up your system will depend on your product type and processes.

Hope this helps,
B.G. Wiehle
That all sounds good, but no one here has ever had a cross functional team meeting for FMEA review and management commitment or involvement is really lacking. Thanks for the input, I wish I could say they have the 3 key factors, unfortunately it is not a reality.

B

bgwiehle

acook81 said:
That all sounds good, but no one here has ever had a cross functional team meeting for FMEA review and management commitment or involvement is really lacking. Thanks for the input, I wish I could say they have the 3 key factors, unfortunately it is not a reality.
I'm sorry there's no magic solution for you. It didn't happen overnight for us either: First, there was a realization that if we had to do this customer-mandated activity, we might as well do it right and reap some of the benefits ourselves. Then we set it up to be as painless as possible. In addition, the system has had to evolve to meet new customer requirements.

If your engineers are being asked to develop the PFMEA without any kind of support, it should be no surprise that the result is superficial, last-minute and probably never updated again.

You haven't included any details of your FMEA system -- is there any organization to the whole? Whose department is responsible for ensuring the document is ready for submission at PPAP? Have the responsible persons had training in using the technique? The answers to these questions may give some direction on how to improve the situation.

B. G. Wiehle

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
W Does anyone have any experience with the Easy Metric System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
D IATF 16949 - 8.5.2.1 Traceability Plan - Does anyone have an example? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Does anyone have example test report of defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Definition Parallel Loop - Does anyone know what the term Parallel loop means? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
B Does Anyone utilize MS Outlook Read Receipts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Does anyone know what is going on in DQS? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P Scope Document - Does anyone happen to have an Example Scope Document (4.3)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Does anyone have a comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Does anyone have a list of the IATF "Shalls" they would be willing to share? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Does anyone have experience implementing a Tiered QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Does anyone have an example Authority Listing SOP example? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Does anyone have any experience on change control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going? EU Medical Device Regulations 21
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Does anyone use the Boeing STP0565 and STP0637 specs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Does anyone have a breakup of Establishments based on Device Classes ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Legal Register - Does anyone have an example of a legal register? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A MDS software - Does anyone have experience with iPoint? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
P Does anyone have a DFMEA process Interface Matrix .xls template FMEA and Control Plans 7
S Does anyone know about FIAT Normation N.9.91320/02 ? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M Does anyone here have experience implementing PCI DSS (Data Security Standard) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S Does anyone have procedure on "Regulatory Compliance"? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
K Q1-Ford - Does anyone have any Q1 templates? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
G Does anyone have a ISO 13485 Gap Analysis form they'd be willing to share? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C List of QMS Documents - Does anyone have a template? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5