Does anyone go Mushroom Hunting

A

ABRSPLY

Hi All,

Mushroom hunting season in Ohio is nearing. I can't wait to get out into the woods for that very first morel.
We also have wild ramps on our property. I have not tried them yet, but am going to give it a shot this year.

Renee

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I'm in southern Ohio but have never been mushroom hunting other than in a grocery store.

A

ABRSPLY

My daughter's question was..
Do you sneak up on em and shoot em?

Southern Ohio is a great place to go. My husband is from Meigs County Ohio so we make a trip every spring.

L

lfrost

When I was a youngster (many moons ago) I went to my mom's farm that she grew up on, and near the stream in a woodland cove was a mushroom patch where the heads of the mushrooms were over three inches in diameter. As I recall, we only filled a bushel basket of mushrooms and the mushrooms were very tasty.

However, I have not been mushroom hunting lately, and so, along with Marc, trying to find mushrooms now, outside of the store, just takes too much time for me as the farm no longer exists. They discovered oil on the property about 15 years ago and now there are oil derricks were the farm house and barn were.:nope:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Houby hunting (houby is Bohemian for mushroom) was practically a contact sport among the Bohemians in Chicago as I was growing up in the 40's and 50's. Each family had its own "secret" hunting ground in the Cook County forest preserves surrounding the city. Successful hunters were spied upon and trailed to find their treasure trove patches. Fist fights, slashed tires, misdirection, etc. were all part of the process. My own family merely reaped the bounty of the hard work of others by readily buying parts of the harvest from neighbors.

Here's a quote from an article written 15 years ago, archived by Chicago Wilderness Magazine:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each fall for the past 31 years the Czech-American community has flaunted its love of mushrooming through a fall Houby Festival. This year the festival occurs on October 2 & 3 with an Arts and Crafts show on Cermak Road from Austin to Wesley and a carnival on Cermak and Lombard Ave. (9 a.m.- 6 p.m.). The parade is on October 3rd along Cermak from Central to Oakpark Ave. (12:30-2:30 p.m.). Visitors find, in addition to theme dishes and local merchants' offerings, printed regulations for would-be houby hunters. One learns that proper dress is required (black felt cap with visor, long underwear, heavy twill vest, leggings, and rope belt) and that the hunter's car must be at least 10 years old, have less than 3,000 miles on the odometer, and be used only on rainless Sundays. One other regulation, though, is less a play on the Bohemian immigrant stereotype than it is rooted in the unassailable truth. On setting out from home, so the instructions read, the houby hunter must drive through alleys, circle the block several times, and always use the least direct route to the picking grounds, lest neighbors learn where the best mushrooms sprout. Tony Jandacek, one of the region's most experienced Czech-American mushroomers (see sidebar), vouches for the prevalence of this approach. "The last thing you want is someone learning where you've been."[/FONT]

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not been 'shroom picking since a kid. Although being from UK it was Autumn or late Summer for field mushrooms. IIRC (it was a long time ago) we used to go out with our Grandpa and his dog early in the morning to take the dog for a walk. There just happened to be bags in our pockets for the 'shrooms. It used to be an early start because we were hunting on the grounds of a large school and a lot of locals knew the spot. We had to get in before a few others so it kind of sounds a bit like Wes's patch only everyone knew about it so the race was not to find where the patch was but to reap its goodies before anyone else. We used to set off in the dark so that when it was light enough to see we were already in the 'shroom patch.

Then back home for a nice English breakfast with the fresh mushrooms we'd just picked. Remember it was mostly just field mushrooms but they were tasty. It was only my Dad who would risk it with the less common funghi like the very fresh shaggy inkcap. We used to watch him eat them waiting for him to curl up in pain having eaten something he shouldn't have but he never did.

thank you for this thread, it has brought up happy memories. Also I must get out foraging more. I've got a very good book on food for free (for the UK market) and there are a lot of stuff out there that you can feed on, stuff for all seasons. IIRC round here it is Samphire time, early spring I think is when it is nice and fleshy and not yet turned too woody.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Been a long time. Most of the areas we used to hunt are no more. Nothing like a fresh bunch of rooms!!! Michigan used to be a hot bed of mushrooming. Had a friend that would go up for two weeks and come back with 4-6 old grocery bags full.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
We also have wild ramps on our property. I have not tried them yet, but am going to give it a shot this year.
A word of warning: Ramps are considered a delicacy, and there are many ramp festivals in Appalachia. However, they will leave you with a VERY strong garlic odor that can last several days.

D

DRAMMAN

Houby hunting (houby is Bohemian for mushroom) was practically a contact sport among the Bohemians in Chicago as I was growing up in the 40's and 50's. Each family had its own "secret" hunting ground in the Cook County forest preserves surrounding the city. Successful hunters were spied upon and trailed to find their treasure trove patches. Fist fights, slashed tires, misdirection, etc. were all part of the process. My own family merely reaped the bounty of the hard work of others by readily buying parts of the harvest from neighbors.

Here's a quote from an article written 15 years ago, archived by Chicago Wilderness Magazine:
Wes, i was raise din the burbs but my parents and grandparents were raised off of Cermak starting in 1900. I heard many stories about wild mushrooms and the chicago bohemians.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Does anyone know what this call out means? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
H Does anyone has feedback on a notified body for small companies? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
W Does anyone have any experience with the Easy Metric System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
D IATF 16949 - 8.5.2.1 Traceability Plan - Does anyone have an example? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Does anyone have example test report of defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Definition Parallel Loop - Does anyone know what the term Parallel loop means? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
B Does Anyone utilize MS Outlook Read Receipts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Does anyone know what is going on in DQS? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P Scope Document - Does anyone happen to have an Example Scope Document (4.3)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Does anyone have a comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Does anyone have a list of the IATF "Shalls" they would be willing to share? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Does anyone have experience implementing a Tiered QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Does anyone have an example Authority Listing SOP example? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
R Does anyone have any experience on change control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going? EU Medical Device Regulations 21
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Does anyone use the Boeing STP0565 and STP0637 specs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Does anyone have a breakup of Establishments based on Device Classes ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Legal Register - Does anyone have an example of a legal register? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A MDS software - Does anyone have experience with iPoint? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
P Does anyone have a DFMEA process Interface Matrix .xls template FMEA and Control Plans 7
S Does anyone know about FIAT Normation N.9.91320/02 ? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M Does anyone here have experience implementing PCI DSS (Data Security Standard) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
R Does anyone know why the TC 176 website has been hijacked by CSA? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S Does anyone have procedure on "Regulatory Compliance"? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
K Q1-Ford - Does anyone have any Q1 templates? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2