Does anyone have an example Customer Property Procedure

M

mmm1979

Does anyone has an example for this procedure, which I can use for a small milling shop.

Thanks in advance for your support

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Customer Property Procedure

Does anyone has an example for this procedure, which I can use for a small milling shop.

How have checked the "Post Attachment (upper left)" list to see if there are any procedures that have been posted before?

C

Chance

Read this link http :// www. askartsolutions. com/iso9001training/Customer-Property-and-Preservation-of-Product.html it has some good information before creating a procedure for customer property. - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

Last edited by a moderator:

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Read this link - it has some good information before creating a procedure for customer property.

Good link, Chance :agree1: - especially the part that states:

"While this clause does not call for a specific documented procedure, these controls may be included in your product realization processes through your product quality plans; work instructions and other specific documentation. Many of the controls needed for clause 7.5.3 Identification and traceability and clause 7.5.5 Preservation of product apply to customer property. The processes, controls and documentation for these other clauses could be expanded to include customer property."

mmm1979: This snippet is just to let you know that this clause is usually addressed naturally via other requirements. Be sure that you are aware of how you already meet these requirements before attempting to create a procedure which could potentially gather dust.

Hope I've Helped...:rolleyes:
Brian

S

silentrunning

On a side note to customer supplied property – remember that anything your company builds for the customer and is paid for by the customer becomes customer supplied property. This includes dies, fixtures or parts that remain at your company. Be sure that all such property is identified in accordance with your procedures for customer owned property.

D

Darrell B

@ Silentrunning:
This, of course, would depend on the PO language. We build plenty of tooling, fixtures, etc that are for a particular part, and the customer pays for it, but at no point do they assume ownership. It is controlled by other procedures.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you really want a separate procedure for customer property? Why not just include it in your existing procedures? I imagine you will deal with it much the same as your own material but with the addition that you will tell the customer if there are any problems with it.

Write the procedures around your processes, not around the clauses.

Mikishots

I didn't write one for our company - didn't need to. Not sure you need to either, as long as your other processes are effective.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
I didn't write one for our company - didn't need to. Not sure you need to either, as long as your other processes are effective.

That reminds me, several years ago in our factory I came across a "Customer Property Control Procedure" during our start-up operations. Someone else had authored it at another facility and tried to adopt it for our location. I read through it only one time and was like, "What the fudge is this?". Being that we were pursuing ISO 9001 certification at the time, I could easily tell that it was written only to address the 7.5.4 clause, and quickly made the determination that it wasn't needed. To me, it was low-hanging "rotten" fruit that needed to be removed from our documentation system.

Same thing went for our "Analysis of Data Procedure" (8.4), and our "Preservation of Product Procedure" (7.5.5). Besides, just having them documented that way seemed awkward, unnatural and unholisitic to me - so they had to go...

For us, it turned out this kind of stuff was already peppered into our quality management system (through various sets of existing documentation, records and verifiable observations), and conformity to each respective clause was backed up by our 3rd party audit reports. Processes were also determined to be in place - and effective - to deal with customer-owned property, data analysis and preservation of product without these "nonspecific" documents.

mmm1979: This is not to imply that a documented procedure (or "procedures") for control of customer property is never needed. This is just an anecdote regarding my own experiences...and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Brian

We have little (nothing) in the way of physical Customer Property, but have a written procedure dealing with intellectual property: It basically states that information that could harm the customer if it reaches the wrong people is for the eyes of us and the customer only.

Everyone already knows this, but it is useful to be able to present it to our customers. One result is that we answer some questions about other customers in supplier surveys with "Information withheld due to confidentiality agreement".

/Claes

Top Bottom