Does anyone have any experience in changing their certification body (registrar)?

A

Adam Scrase

Hello guys and gals,
Decided to post under my real name rather than some strange pseudonym.

Does anybody have any experience in changing their certification body ? After a number of complaints and conversations with various auditors and account managers we've decided to consider this action. We don't believe that we're getting any value from our six monthly visits.

So any experiences or opinions gratefully received.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Conversion of accredited certificates from one Certification Body (CB) by another one is common practice, even though it does not happen very often.

I would suggest to you, before you move forward with your conversion, make sure that YOU and your colleagues have a clear understanding of what YOU deem to be value added audits. To many, including participants of this Forum, a value added auditor is someone that comes, causes the minimum amount of disruption, rubber stamp their system and leaves, as unnoticeable as possible. To others, value added come from a thorough auditor that will positively challenge your system, without being inflexible. Some auditors will question, for example, if you present quality objectives that do not have a correlation with business results or customer satisfaction. Some auditors will identify to you opportunities for improvement, inefficiencies, etc . . Some auditors will give you an impression that they work against you. Others will make you think that they are true partners and they also want your business to succeed.

Once you define your criteria for what YOU consider a value added audit, request proposals from several CB's, interview the auditors they could assign to you, talk to their customers (especially some recent ones that they might have converted), and ascertain yourself, as much as you can on issues of consistency of interpretations, appeal processes, access to enquiries, etc . . .

I am sure that many CB's would love to entertain your RFP. I believe that you will find that CB's operate very differently. Even worse, different auditors working for the same Registrar think, act and deliver differently. Some Registrars do a much better job of calibrating their people. Others use free lance auditors with no concern for the consistency and continuity of the audit program. Isn't that odd that for a business based on standardization, there is so much variation on service delivery?

Good luck in your search for a value added Registrar.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
That is your opinion, Jim.

And, I would have to admit the fact that, based on the present state of the 3rd party certification business, your assessment is correct for a high percentage of audits done, worldwide.

However, there are assessors that are very knowledgeable, seasoned professionals that can provide the assessed organizations a lot of value by doing thorough investigations. Let me offer one example. A couple of years ago, a lead assessor auditing the corporate Purchasing function of a MAJOR Aerospace conglomerate found out that the computer application, responsible for generating Purchase Orders, was failing to invoke several quality clauses, as applicable by commodity. That meant that aerospace components were being purchased without adequate definition in terms of process and quality system requirements, e.g., traceability to many suppliers. Nobody, inside the organization had caught the problem. Not even their internal assessors. This Organization identified the cause to be a glitch in the software, and upon fixing it, they realized that, had the problem be allowed to continue undetected, they could have found themselves in BIG trouble for failing to correctly specify the products. They estimated that, in the worst case scenario, it would have cost them between US$2.5 to 3 Million to rework incoming parts at their expense. And they were MOST thankful that an outside 3rd party auditor FOUND the problem and wrote them up. Names are obviously omitted, due to confidentiality reasons.

Do you have any idea of how many audits would it take to cover US$2.5 Million savings?

As an collective business sector, the Registrar community fails terribly in identifying on how we add value. But a few of us, do.

As mentioned above, in my opinion, most 3rd party assessors do not bring value into the process, but the same is true to consultants and implementators. ISO 9000 has been trivialized to a point that ANYONE can attain certification in a very short time. It is just a matter of finding the "right" partner.

Some of us bring value into the process. It is incumbent on the organization to determine of what value added is, and find an assessor that delivers it.

K
Changing Registrar

I was at one organization when we changed registrars. The drive came down from above because of $$, not that there was any real disatisfaction with the audits. I interviewed several registrars and decided on one that appealed to me as QM and and appealed to the powers above $$-wise, not the cheapest. One thing that came out of the change that I was very happy with was that the new registrar (who shall remain nameless thought it is mentioned above) looked at things differently and identified a number of areas where improvement was possible. Made me wonder if changing registrars periodically might not be a good idea.:D

A

Adam Scrase

KenS, in the past we've periodically changed auditors for the same reason, but that might in part be contributing to the problem. I don't feel like they're "supporting" me, and I'm sure they don't feel they are able to get any continuity to do their job effectively.

It's a fine line to tread - too much continuity and inside knowledge means auditors let you get away with too much. Just an opinion.

Thanks to all those that responded I've got some useful info.

K
I was refering to changing registrars, different auditors from the same registrar seem to have very similar viewpoints (surprise?). Different registrars can have widely varying ideas of what is important, as well as differences in interpretation.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
its done more often than you think

visit "imsworld.org"
Excellent registrar, and located in the uk

they have a good transfer policy, and excellent service. Their auditors are very comfortable to work with, and knowledgeable.
they are my registrar of choice.....
use my name if you like,

barb

Brian Hunt

Involved - Posts
Re: Changing certification body

Adam Scrase said:

Hello guys and gals,
Decided to post under my real name rather than some strange pseudonym.

Does anybody have any experience in changing their certification body ? After a number of complaints and conversations with various auditors and account managers we've decided to consider this action. We don't believe that we're getting any value from our six monthly visits.

So any experiences or opinions gratefully received.
Yeah - I've done it. For a telecoms company of 500 people. We were being audited by XXX but this wasn't adding any value and wascontributing to the belief that "quality gets in the way of business".

I selected a shortlist of two or three bodies and told them what I wanted from them. I described a process approach to ISO9000 and wanted them to look holistically at the Quality Management System and to both look for areas of improvement and identify internal best practice. My stand with the telecoms company was that these external auditors can be used as external consultants that will help us improve the business. I had half day meeting with each of the reps from these bodies and the operations director of the telecoms company. From this we chose one that showed they understood the way we wanted to work. Changing auditor was also a way of signalling a change in the approach to quality for this company - I'd just taken over as quality manager, and there was a lot of unhappiness about the way XXX were doing things.

Call me if you want more details - contact details on my website at www.sanguma.com

Regs

Brian

V

vanassm

I am in a process of considering changing registrar. When my actual one (SGS) heared I might be considering changing, they CANCELLED my registration, claiming that they could not assure we still maintain our system. I filed an appeal to this decision, with copies to the Canadian Standard Council, waiting for an answer form any party.

Anyone heard or experience this kind of actiuon from their registrar?

P.S. I consider changing beacuse of the poor customer service of my registrar. Am I right?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
W Does anyone have any experience with the Easy Metric System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Does anyone have experience implementing a Tiered QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Does anyone have any experience on change control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
ScottK Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going? EU Medical Device Regulations 21
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A MDS software - Does anyone have experience with iPoint? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
M Does anyone here have experience implementing PCI DSS (Data Security Standard) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
J Does anyone have experience in submitting TSE Dossiers to EDQM? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Does anyone has experience with determining if Lubricants and Greases are Food Grade? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
I Does anyone here have experience with ISO 3951? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
B Does anyone here have any experience with the Deming Prize? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
N Does anyone have any experience or feedback using mind mapping software? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Does anyone have experience using open source software for PDM? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Does anyone have experience with ProWorksinfo software for Work Instructions? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
I Does anyone have direct experience with BVQI (Brazil)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
L Notified Body - Does anyone have experience using TUV Essex? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
D Agile and Oracle - Does anyone have experience with Agile integrated with Oracle? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Does anyone have any experience with NADCAP? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
D SMP - Skills Management Process - Does anyone else have experience with SMP? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Gage R&R Software - Does anyone have experience using Mitutoyo's "MeasurLink"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
D IATF 16949 - 8.5.2.1 Traceability Plan - Does anyone have an example? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Does anyone have example test report of defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Definition Parallel Loop - Does anyone know what the term Parallel loop means? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
B Does Anyone utilize MS Outlook Read Receipts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Does anyone know what is going on in DQS? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P Scope Document - Does anyone happen to have an Example Scope Document (4.3)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Does anyone have a comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Does anyone have a list of the IATF "Shalls" they would be willing to share? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Does anyone have an example Authority Listing SOP example? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
SteveK Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
S Does anyone use the Boeing STP0565 and STP0637 specs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Does anyone have a breakup of Establishments based on Device Classes ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Legal Register - Does anyone have an example of a legal register? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3