Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just wondering how it's impacting suppliers to medical device companies and if anyone has had any direct experience.
Are the NB's seeing resistance when they come knocking?
My last place was pretty low risk and still hasn't had an unannounced supplier audit. Neither had my current place.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going

One of my suppliers was subjected to an unannounced visit due to their role as a subcontractor of a manufacturers ClassIII device.

It apparently went smoothly, no significant issues found, although it was raised that it was challenging speaking to the right people...mainly because it was unannounced and people were out of the office....I imagine this will be a regular problem

Other than this single inspection, I'm unaware of of any other unannounced audits being conducted on my supplier base, although I wouldn't place our products in the highest risk areas.

S

SarahB1

Re: Does anyone have experience with how MDD unanounced audits of suppliers are going

One of my suppliers (based in China) has also had an unannounced audit from their NB. All went well and was quite straightforward

Laughing Pierre

Involved In Discussions

Don't know if this answers the question as we haven't any direct experience, however I had a conversation with our NB auditor at our last surveillance audit. He has been involved in carrying out unannounced audits and has been refused entry once. The auditee relented after a persuasive call from the NB head office. Apparently the NB has suspended a number certificates as a direct result of unannounced audits. He stated that cooperation levels have been varied. Of course this is hearsay, but it should be taken as read that the NBs are carrying out their due responsibilities.

Laughing Pierre

Involved In Discussions

Had an unannounced audit on Tuesday.
A fairly intense day but quite straight forward. As expected it was a vertical, product focused affair, so differed from the normal certification and surveillance audits. The only surprise was that one of the auditors had been to us many times before. I was expecting to see two new faces, but it appears that limited resources meant otherwise.

Pads38

We too had our first unannounced this week.

We got a ten minute warning "courtesy" telephone call and, like Pierre, were slightly surprised to be dealing with our usual auditor (plus one other).

By coincidence the day it happened was the one day of the week when our quality consultant was on site - which helped a lot.

We were asked to nominate a particular product, ideally in current production. Then, using a single serial numbered device as an example from final stock, we traced the paper trail back, from the initial works order that initiates a batch, through test records, through manufacturing records to critical component traceability.

All this we managed OK, but we hope to use the 'practice' to improve and simplify the paper trail especially the traceability, which is too reliant on one persons knowledge.

We did get a 'minor CAR' (corrective action request) for insufficient engineering consideration given to a product change, but not-too-bad!

We were thanked for our openness and honesty. The auditors were concerned with detail without being 'picky' (2 dates on a test result sheet had been inadvertently transposed; once this was clear it was not considered to be much of a problem).

All in all, - relatively painless! (but I haven't seen the auditors invoice yet).

H

HAYATI ABDULLAH

Hi Pads38,

Sound greats the unannounced audit conducted on yoursite, we haven't experience it yet. By the way, would you mind to share with us how the procedure of unannounced audit should look like/cover what scope?

Looking forward your positive response.

H

HAYATI ABDULLAH

One of my suppliers was subjected to an unannounced visit due to their role as a subcontractor of a manufacturers ClassIII device.

It apparently went smoothly, no significant issues found, although it was raised that it was challenging speaking to the right people...mainly because it was unannounced and people were out of the office....I imagine this will be a regular problem

Other than this single inspection, I'm unaware of of any other unannounced audits being conducted on my supplier base, although I wouldn't place our products in the highest risk areas.
Hi Pkost,

Sound greats the unannounced audit conducted on yoursite, we haven't experience it yet. By the way, would you mind to share with us how the procedure of unannounced audit should look like/cover what scope?

Looking forward your positive response.

pkost

As I said, it was one of my suppliers that experienced the unannounced audit so I do not have first hand experience, my understanding is that it was similar to Pads38 experience

RA Lille

Starting to get Involved

Directly related or not...
Regarding the possibility that a supplier refuses the unannounced audit and the potential removal of our CE certificate...

our NB said :
''Unannounced audits are mandatory to organize; Notified Bodies need to consider to go the critical subcontractors/crucial suppliers.
If the Notified Body is not allowed to enter the site of one of your critical subcontractors/crucial suppliers for an unannounced audit, this will lead to a major non-conformity and, if not corrected, lead to a cancellation of the certificate."

Regarding the fact that a supplier could have about 800 ISO13485-certified customers... it could lead to one audit a day for this peculiar supplier... and could be considered non receivable by the supplier....
"the Commission stress the importance of unannounced audits: if this would result in every single day one una audit on site, then it would be like that. Indeed, some companies will receive more than one UNA audit every year: which indicates they manufacture for."
"(...) in these contracts you have with critical subcontractors/crucial suppliers, the possibility of an UNA audit really needs to be described (if not-> this would be a major CAR)"

Did anyone live this experience ? How could we face the fact that chemical suppliers are not ISO13485-certified and do not want to support ISO13485 UNA audits ?
Any experience ?
thanks and regards,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
W Does anyone have any experience with the Easy Metric System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Does anyone have experience implementing a Tiered QMS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Does anyone have any experience on change control? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Does anyone have experience providing a summary of Pre-IDE discussions in the 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A MDS software - Does anyone have experience with iPoint? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
M Does anyone here have experience implementing PCI DSS (Data Security Standard) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
J Does anyone have experience in submitting TSE Dossiers to EDQM? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Does anyone has experience with determining if Lubricants and Greases are Food Grade? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
I Does anyone here have experience with ISO 3951? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
B Does anyone here have any experience with the Deming Prize? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
N Does anyone have any experience or feedback using mind mapping software? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Does anyone have experience using open source software for PDM? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Does anyone have experience with ProWorksinfo software for Work Instructions? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
I Does anyone have direct experience with BVQI (Brazil)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
L Notified Body - Does anyone have experience using TUV Essex? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
D Agile and Oracle - Does anyone have experience with Agile integrated with Oracle? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
D Does anyone have any experience with NADCAP? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
D SMP - Skills Management Process - Does anyone else have experience with SMP? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Does anyone have any experience in changing their certification body (registrar)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J Gage R&R Software - Does anyone have experience using Mitutoyo's "MeasurLink"? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
N Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
J Does anyone have a good APQP template that meets IATF requirements? APQP and PPAP 3
D IATF 16949 - 8.5.2.1 Traceability Plan - Does anyone have an example? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
R Does anyone have example test report of defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Definition Parallel Loop - Does anyone know what the term Parallel loop means? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
B Does Anyone utilize MS Outlook Read Receipts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Does anyone know what is going on in DQS? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
P Scope Document - Does anyone happen to have an Example Scope Document (4.3)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Does anyone have a comparison between ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Does anyone have a list of the IATF "Shalls" they would be willing to share? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J Does anyone have an example Authority Listing SOP example? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
SteveK Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
S Does anyone use the Boeing STP0565 and STP0637 specs? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M Does anyone have a breakup of Establishments based on Device Classes ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Legal Register - Does anyone have an example of a legal register? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3