Does anyone know a registrar that offers both ISO 9001 and ISO 17020?

nurtu1

Registered
Hello,

Our Company is ISO 9001 certified. Due to our business we are considering pursuing ISO 17020 certification. Has anyone done both and what do you think - does it make sense to pursue both or should we just aim for 17020 as it is more industry specific (inspection companies)? Does anyone know a registrar that offers both 9001 and 17020. I have learned about only a few 17020 registrars and none offer 9001. Any info would be appreciated!

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello,

Our Company is ISO 9001 certified. Due to our business we are considering pursuing ISO 17020 certification. Has anyone done both and what do you think - does it make sense to pursue both or should we just aim for 17020 as it is more industry specific (inspection companies)? Does anyone know a registrar that offers both 9001 and 17020. I have learned about only a few 17020 registrars and none offer 9001. Any info would be appreciated!

nurtu,

ISO 9001 is a standard used in the certification of management systems. But ISO 17020 is a standard used to accredit inspection agencies.

If your company seeks to accredit inspection agencies then ISO 17020 is the standard for you; but you’ll probably find that your country already has such an accrediting authority.

You may find it better to extend the scope of your existing accredited certification to include your inspection services. But first determine if your registrar is accredited to certify inspection services.

John

PS: Here is the UKAS (UK Accreditation Service) leaflet on accrediting inspection agencies: https://www.ukas.com/download/brochures/Do your inspection services meet your requirements.pdf

Last edited:

nurtu1

Registered
Hello John,

Thank you very much for a comprehensive and informative reply! We are in US, but even in US I can only find a few 17020 accreditation bodies..

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,

Here is additional information from ANAB is USA -

https://anab.qualtraxcloud.com/ShowDocument.aspx?ID=9722

AndyN

Moved On
Hello John,

Thank you very much for a comprehensive and informative reply! We are in US, but even in US I can only find a few 17020 accreditation bodies..

Yes, that's because accreditation isn't a common requirement and the number of organizations offering the service (and hence needing accreditation) is tiny, in comparison to ISO 9001 certification.

nurtu1

Registered
Thank you very much dnasabria and Andy! This helps a lot! :applause:

Any recommendation for ISO trainign providers (both 9001:2015 and 17020)?

We have not yet transitioned to 9001:2015 - and the deadline is close. Sounds to me that we need to decide which is more important in our business: ISO 9001 certification or ISO 17020 accreditation and pursue that route. Working on both would be too much for a small company. 9001 has a wider scoop; however 17020 would be industry specific and (may) provide competitive edge.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thank you very much dnasabria and Andy! This helps a lot! :applause:

Any recommendation for ISO trainign providers (both 9001:2015 and 17020)?

We have not yet transitioned to 9001:2015 - and the deadline is close. Sounds to me that we need to decide which is more important in our business: ISO 9001 certification or ISO 17020 accreditation and pursue that route. Working on both would be too much for a small company. 9001 has a wider scoop; however 17020 would be industry specific and (may) provide competitive edge.

nurtu,

ISO 17020 provides accreditors of inspection bodies with the basic qualification to accredit inspection bodies.

Are you planning to set-up the country’s third accreditation authority?

...ISO 17020 is for your organization only if you are.

You should learn this if you participate well in certified lead auditor training which is widely available in the USA:

ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor Training (Exemplar Global Certified) | ASQ

John

Top Bottom