Does AS9100 require approving your Customer as a Supplier?

G

greg5362

Hi All,
I have been a visitor for a few years and this would be my first post. Having just sucessfully completed our AS9100 registration upgrade from ISO13485/ISO9001 I have a question I hope the Elsmar readers can share some insight on. Since we are a subcontract manufacturer, we have occasion to "buy" components from out customers to support their current builds due to long lead times or new product start ups. Is it required that we certify our customers as approved suppliers and add the to our AVL?
I believe it is, but our sales and purchasing folks are reluctant to support the effort for these isolated procurements.
Thanks for the input!
Greg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Since we are a subcontract manufacturer, we have occasion to "buy" components from out customers to support their current builds due to long lead times or new product start ups. Is it required that we certify our customers as approved suppliers and add the to our AVL?
No, this scenario falls under the auspices of customer property. If you "effectively" implement the requirements associated with customer property, you are covered.

Hi Sidney,

Can you elaborate little more why it should be considered as customer property?Though there is requirement of verification and other controls for customer property but here the company is "buying" the products.

I agree with you that some amount of extra non value adding activities (vendor evaluation, selection and re-evaluation) will be generated if it is considered as purchase activity but same time amount of control also would be reduced if it is considered as customer property.

Also I would like to draw your attention to clause 7.4.3
Verification by the customer shall not be used by the organization as evidence of effective control of quality by the supplier and shall not absolve the organization of the responsibility to provide acceptable product, nor shall it preclude subsequent rejection by the customer.
So will the organisation not escape from this requirement (read responsibility) if it is considered as customer property?

Your selection of word "effectively" is meaningful but buy and purchase have same meaning.So once the company is buying from customer, why not to put it in AVL?

Kindly help to understand with your thoughts.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
So will the organisation not escape from this requirement (read responsibility) if it is considered as customer property?

Your selection of word "effectively" is meaningful but buy and purchase have same meaning.So once the company is buying from customer, why not to put it in AVL?

Kindly help to understand with your thoughts.
If you pay close attention to the OP, you will note that the term buy was between quotes. That is because the supplier is not really procuring the parts, but parts are being provided via a transaction for incorporation into a product that is destined for that customer.

Based on my understanding of the scenario, an artificial qualification of this customer as a supplier would be non value added, because I really don't see the chance of that "supplier" being disqualified.

So, by treating the situation as customer property, the registrant still has to verify the adequacy of the parts being supplied for incorporation. And certainly, that includes the reporting of unsuitable products. That is my take.

A

alspread

Yes and no.

:2cents:

I have had cases were my system required me to add a customer to the approved supplier list, however, I did define some special circumstances for customers as suppliers.

Joy does have a very legitmate point when it comes to product verification requirement for product supplied by or purchased from the customer.

I think the standard is crystal clear that an organization is still responsible for the quality of the product no matter where it comes from.

Just because the incoming purchased product came from the customer it doesn't give the supplier a get out of jail free card if the purchased or consigned product does not meet the purchase order requirement.

Which brings up another sticky point. Without a purchase order defining the requirements (regardless of value) of the product you can't define what you are getting and in order for the supplier to generate a PO, many systems require the vendor (sic Customer) to be in their MRP ASL system.

I bring these points up mostly for discussion. I don't expect one to go out and survey and potentially disqualify their customer as a supplier, but the system sometimes requires us to be creative in unique situations.

Good luck.

J
Hello Sidney,

Requesting little more help from you.I have two points where I am facing slight difficulty to be convinced with your logic.

1.Even customer designated suppliers are also enjoying same status as the customer and for them your logic of "no possibility to disapprove" may apply.However,even customer designated suppliers are also brought under control of purchase process.Is there much difference between customer and customer designated source?:)
Clause 7.4.1-The organization shall be responsible for the quality of all products purchased from suppliers, including customer-designated sources
2.Though it is unlikely that customer and organisation is under two different regulatory requirements/bodies but if it happens,how the following requirement can be addressed? (hypothetical!).So far I have not any such situation but I need to be flexible.

Clause 7.4.2-right of access by the organization, their customer, and regulatory authorities to all facilities involved in the order and to all applicable records, and
I tried to find answer but could not.I still agree to your logic that forcing customer as supplier will not add much value to purchase process.

G

greg5362

The COVE is such a great place..
Thanks All for your insight. I agree that control of customer supplied product is they key element, and as such adding the customer to the approved supplier list provides the path of least resistance for me to documenting that control since all the reporting systems are in place to support the AVL.

I think I will create an additional category of "CUSTOMER" supplier approval and add to our AVL for monitoring/ control purposes. This will allow visibility to their supplier performance trends and provide for necessary feedback of issues found. And the no charge PO can still have the applicable quality clauses listed.
Greg
:thanks:

J
Hello friend,

Please wait for Sidney's response to my questions.I understand that you are trying to find a safe path after my questions but I am sure that he will come out with some solutions as he suggested to consider the situation as customer property.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Does AS9100 require Suppliers to be Certified to ISO or AS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
R Does AS9100 require that QA review all POs before release AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
B Does each shot peening timer require calibration - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Mandatory Procedures - Does AS9100 REV B require mandatory procedures? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
C Does anyone have an AS9100:2015 audit schedule template? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Document Dame Does AS9100 certified OEM need AS9110 if no maintenance is provided? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
G Does AS9100 Certificate include ISO 9001 Certification? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
C How long does AS9100 QMS need to be in place before the Audit? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
S Does anyone have an AS9100 System Training Datum? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
V AS9100 and AS9102 - Does our supplier have to do the FAI using the 3 AS9102 forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M AS9100 First Article - Does 7.5.1.1 revC or 8.2.4.2 revB apply to Non Aerospace Goods AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 19
A AS9100 7.4.2 d) - What does Revision Status mean? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 20
S Does all work in a shop need to meet AS9100 standards in order to be certified? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
A How does your registrar handle 2 certificates, one for AS9100 and one for ISO9001? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
E What is a Proprietary Procedure and how does it apply to AS9100? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K What does an AS9100 RABQSA auditor get paid? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
D Does AS9100 have "special" retention times for any items? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Watchcat Does "Similar Device" = "Predicate"? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P What does UPH/m² mean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG SCMH explains "positive risk"..........but does it? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 28
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17