SBS - The best value in QMS software

Does being traceable to NIST meet the requirements of ISO standards?

R

Richgage

A discussion has come up recently. Does being traceable to NIST acceptable during an ISO audit?
Example: I have a gage block that has a certificate that is "traceable" to NIST. Does that meet an ISO audit as acceptable? Is being traceable good enough or do I need to have it done by a ISO 17025 accredited lab?

Thank you for your answers.:notme:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jason PCSwitches

Re: Does being traceable to NIST meet ISO standards?

[FONT=&quot]How long have you had those gage blocks? Are you using them to verify/calibrate other equipment? Are they included in your calibration system? See where I'm going, if your trying to use the cert that came with the gage blocks, you'll probably have some issues, especially if your using those blocks to validate equipment used to accept product.

Review 7.6.
[/FONT]

A discussion has come up recently. Does being traceable to NIST acceptable during an ISO audit?
Example: I have a gage block that has a certificate that is "traceable" to NIST. Does that meet an ISO audit as acceptable? Is being traceable good enough or do I need to have it done by a ISO 17025 accredited lab?

Thank you for your answers.:notme:
ISO 9001 says in 7.6 a) - it has to be traceable. Period. (unless there's no universal std, which in your case isn't true)

There always have been good labs, long before ISO/IEC 17025 came along who could provide that requirement. But what's the point of traceability if you don't use it properly, which is to factor the uncertainty into the measurement process?

Yes, it will pass an 'ISO' audit, but are you using the information correctly?

Last edited:
D

Duke Okes

Whether or not it will pass the audit depends on how frequently you indicate the gage blocks (and other devices) should be calibrated and whether or not that is actually being done. Traceability to NIST would be expected, but only applies to the specific calibration period. 17025 is not required by ISO 9001.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

There might be some secondary issues, like if the vendor is on your approved vendor list, the documentation meets your internal requirements, and the instruments meet any requirements that you have.

Also, there may be some contract requirements. For example, assuring that what you required was satisfied with what you received.

17025 accreditation is a good thing to have from vendors.:agree1: However, I would suggest that is does not exempt the customer from doing their due diligence in regards to the 9001 requirements for contract, vendor, and documentation requirements.:)

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Many good responses so far. :applause:

You have some gage blocks. NIST traceability is important and so is conforming to ISO, but these aren't the point. Making sure those gage blocks are always accurately verifying dimensions is the important point. And ISO asks us to have a system to manage that.

So the gage blocks are doing a job, and you need to understand what kind of wear to expect in how much time. This helps determine both what kind of gage blocks to buy (there are different materials and grades that represent various resolution) and how long between calibrations.

Maybe you'll decide to have a master set for inspections, and a few "working sets" for setups and shop use. You'll need to plan your calibrations to ensure you always have a set ready to use.

So you've decided what to buy, and how often to get the sets checked. There are a range of calibration shops to choose from (see how long it took me to get to the part you asked about?) and their having 17025 accreditation is frankly secondary to NIST traceability. I know of a very good calibration house that didn't get accreditation for many years. This consideration is a worthwhile one if your customers take a stake in it, but otherwise the question is one of supplier control. Getting a calibration service that's 17025 tends to give enough of a comfort level that the place won't need a supplier audit visit.

Overwhelmed yet? I can make anything hard. :D

A

amanbhai

There might be some secondary issues, like if the vendor is on your approved vendor list, the documentation meets your internal requirements, and the instruments meet any requirements that you have.

Also, there may be some contract requirements. For example, assuring that what you required was satisfied with what you received.

17025 accreditation is a good thing to have from vendors.:agree1: However, I would suggest that is does not exempt the customer from doing their due diligence in regards to the 9001 requirements for contract, vendor, and documentation requirements.:)
If the vendor is accredited to ISO 17025m I beleive that the same vendor would be fulfilling the requirements of contract such as but not limited to the requirements for quality system, traceability and competence of personnel.
I don't understand your point of exception.

harry

Super Moderator
There are two issues here:-

What is traceability?
.....................It is important to note that traceability is the property of the result of a measurement, not of an instrument or calibration report or laboratory. It is not achieved by following any one particular procedure or using special equipment. Merely having an instrument calibrated, even by NIST, is not enough to make the measurement result obtained from that instrument traceable to realizations of the appropriate SI unit or other specified references.
What is NIST?
......................The job of NIST is twofold: to ensure U.S. national standards are accurate realizations of the SI units and to transfer the values of those standards to the U.S. measurement system through calibrations and other types of measurement services. Direct customers of NIST’s measurement services take advantage of the opportunity to tie their internal measurement standards to NIST standards and hence, to the SI units. These companies, in turn, use their standards to provide measurement services to their customers, to meet regulatory requirements, and to provide quality assurance in their manufacturing processes.
Link: Questions about Metrological Traceability in General

Does being traceable to NIST acceptable during an ISO audit?
Audit to ISO 9001 or ISO 17025 standard?

Last edited:

BradM

Staff member
Admin

If the vendor is accredited to ISO 17025m I beleive that the same vendor would be fulfilling the requirements of contract such as but not limited to the requirements for quality system, traceability and competence of personnel.
I don't understand your point of exception.
Hi there!!:bigwave:

Yes, you are correct. 17025 satisfies all the requirements that would be found in 9001.

My points were from the perspective of the customer. If you are purchasing calibration services from a 17025 accredited lab, you as the customer still have the same requirements as they would otherwise.

Make sense?:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Does being a subsidiary fully absolve company B from complying with 21 CFR 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Does the Head of the Department being audited have the right to amend audit report? General Auditing Discussions 15
F Procedure does not reflect on what is being done Internal Auditing 25
0 To which part of 13485 does this refer? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
lanley liao Does the customer`s trademark belong to customer-supplied property? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
H How does a gas turbine work on diesel fuel? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
G What does performance specification include? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A How much does a complete biocompatibility test package cost? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Does anybody know how to get older versions of Minitab to work in Windows 10? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Does the ISO 9001:2015 standard require a disaster recovery plan or emergency response plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 3
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Watchcat Does "Similar Device" = "Predicate"? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14