Does each shot peening timer require calibration - AS9100 requirements

B

bonneagm

Hello everyone,

On the AS9100 requirements, do we need to calibrate each timer or we have exeption?

Thank you!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Does each timer require calibration

Knowing that it is a key control of shot peening, I would say yes. Now the key question is to what tolerance, and how often.

You may want to check this out as a handy reference:

http://www.measurept.com/pdf/Stopwatch_Timer_Calibrations.pdf

Although it states:"Most of the calibrations described in this guide are laboratory calibrations, as opposed to field calibrations.", you may still find it handy.

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?

AS9100, section 7.6, defines the scope of control of monitoring and measuring devices as, "... the monitoring and measuring devices needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements."

If product conformance depends on the success of the shot peening process and you don't verify that conformance after shot peening, then the timers must be calibrated. If the attributes you affect through shot peening are verified for conformance later, then AS9100 does not require that the timers be calibrated.

Based on experience, I recommend calibrating process timers in either case.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!

If the attributes you affect through shot peening are verified for conformance later, then AS9100 does not require that the timers be calibrated.

Based on experience, I recommend calibrating process timers in either case.

I agree - if you use surface finish and hardness to verify the effect of the shot peening, they are tougher (if not impossible) to calibrate in my book. :cool:

Top Bottom