Does every company or employee owned gage have to be calibrated?

D

David Davis

Our company is in the process of registering to the ISO standard. We are approaching our pre-assessment audit. My question concerns the calibration of "all" gages. Does every gage company or employee owned have to be calibrated. We are leaning towards "no", due to time and MONEY. Are there any companies out there currently not calibrating "all" gages and using a "reference only", "process validation", or "transfer gage" procedure for some of your gages and how is it working for you? Has it ever been an issue during an audit? Thank you for your time and consideration. - Dave Davis

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Sankaran Mahadevan

The Standard whether ISO / QS 9000 is very clear in this matter. Any gauge / instrument or for that matter even fixtures used in production has to be either calibrated or verified before use or at a specified periodic intervals. You have to calibrate all the instruments or gauges that you use for production. In other words you have to calibrate all measuring equipments as they might affect the quality of the final products.

You can decide upon the frequencies of calibration depending upon the usage of that particular equipment. But you have to calibrate them. No other go.

Sorry.

Sankaran Mahadevan

G

Graeme

Any gage (tool, measuring instrument) that is used to determine acceptance of a quality characteristic of the product must be calibrated. The calibration must be traceable to national measurement standards, or to another accepted standard.

A test I use is this (adapted from P. G. Stein) --
Does it matter if the measurement is wrong?
If yes, then calibrate the instrument.
If no, then why are you making the measurement?

Axiom: it is always lower cost to determine acceptance of a characteristic at the earliest possible stage of a process. Final inspection is always the second most expensive place to find a problem. (The most expensive place to find a problem is at the customer's place after delivery.)

If you only have calibrated tools at the final inspection point you are, in my opinion, setting yourself up for a lot of rework.

In some companies and industries it is historical practice to use tools that are marked "For Reference Only". (I work in one of those companies.) I disagree with this for several reasons.
  • Putting calibrated and "reference only" tools in the same work area creates a monster control problem. There must be absolutely zero possibility of a "reference only" tool ever being used where a calibrated tool is required. Getting caught once is at least a minor nonconformance. Having it happen several times is a major nonconformance because the system does not work. The consequences could be worse if people's lives are put at risk.
  • A rationale used for this practice is that the "reference only" tool is "only used for" troubleshooting, or maintenance, or alignment of the system, or only by Facilities and not by Production, or (and so on). Sorry, but I don't agree. I have done all of those types of work and in every one of them I have wanted some assurance that the meter is correct. This can also cause a lot of rework. For instance, if you align a system with a "reference only" meter but it does not pass the system checkout with calibrated instruments, then you have to align it and check it again.
  • There are cases where a calibrated tool may not be "required" but is an important safety factor. An electrician, for example, probably wants to be very sure there really is no voltage on a wire before she grabs it!

Notice that the key factor is how the tool is used, not who owns it. There is no intrinsic problem with employee-owned calibratable tools, provided they are in the calibration system.

Yes, calibration can be expensive. It's a business decision. But as part of the decision you should factor in the potential cost of not doing it, especially if a failure of your product or service can put people's lives at risk.

[This message has been edited by Graeme (edited 23 August 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Does every piece of equipment used in a laboratory need to have an IQ protocol written and executed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
E Does every metallic part have to be protectively earthed (class I ME)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Does every document on a project require a document number? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Does every procedure need to be included within a policy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Q Does 21 CFR 820 really revise every year? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Does every Process Control listed in FMEA have to be listed in the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 4
L 8.2.4.2 First Article Inspection - Does every new part that is run require a FAIR AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
C Does every PMA part have to have an 8130 form? Or compliance with part 21.303? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
C Does all gauges mean every gage? Manufacturing Engineering (Paragraph 7.6.2) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G Does ISO 9001 require a procedure for every part of the business? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Does ISO9001 require every nonconformance to have a root cause analysis? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 21
S TS 16949 Compliant Control Plans - Does every item need a record? FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Certified shipment does it mean every part has to be checked 100%? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
K Does every Nonconformance Require a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
D Following AS9102 for FAI Requirements - Does EVERY Component Need Its Own FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 40
A Issuing Countermeasure Report - Does every nonconformance identified require an NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
W Does every nonconformance require a corrective action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Watchcat Does "Similar Device" = "Predicate"? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P What does UPH/m² mean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG SCMH explains "positive risk"..........but does it? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14