Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Does ISO 22000 make sense for a Custom Injection Molder?

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
We are looking at ISO 22000 certification for a custom injection molder that manufacturers packaging components. Is this a good fit?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
We are looking at ISO 22000 certification for a custom injection molder that manufacturers packaging components. Is this a good fit?
My personal feeling is NO as -

"ISO 22000:2005 specifies requirements for a food safety management system where an organization in the food chain needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption" (from ISO website)

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
Was stuck on "organization in the food chain". Is this restricted to the components used in the ingredient list for the product or derivatives used in prep/mfg?

Trying to get my arms around whether
a. We need complete ISO 22000 compliance
b. We are exempt from most of the standard but need to button up certain elements
c. We are completely exempt

Thoughts?

It does apply to those organizations who manufacture/supply food packaging products, as well. We have a number of clients who are food packagers as well as transporters etc. If you think about it, all these are in the 'food chain' and can affect food safety. I believe there was a case (some years back) where a Schwanns ice cream product was contaminated through incorrect cleaning of a road going tanker used to transport the basic ingredients.

k3nny

Periodic Visitor
That makes sense to me, Andy. However, does it make sense to incorporate the entire standard or does it make sense to be exempt from sections?:thanx:

harry

Super Moderator
That makes sense to me, Andy. However, does it make sense to incorporate the entire standard or does it make sense to be exempt from sections?:thanx:
No exemption is allowed for ISO 22000. You'll have to go through the whole exercise. Not much of a problem if you have knowledge or experience of it but the learning curve can be quite steep for someone new.

An alternative is to look at SQF. There are 3 levels - Levels 1 or 2 should be sufficient for your kind of activity.

Over here, there are people in your kind of industry who go for HACCP certification.

Last edited:
Top Bottom