Does ISO 9001:2000 require a Master List of Procedures, Work Instructions, etc?

H

HFowler

Does ISO 9001:2000 require a Master List of Procedures, Work Instructions and/or Documented Processes?

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Master Lists

No you are not required to keep a master list of documents.

Yes you are required to identify and maintain 'critical' and 'significant' processes (as well as other information related to them). This has been discussed in other threads before, you may wish to try a 'search' and view the other discussions.

H

HFowler

Thanks Eileen, I just wasn't clear about whether Master Lists were "implied" somewhere. I knew I maintained them under ISO 9000:1994.

P.S. Great response in Quality Digest this month.:)

A

Anton Ovsianko

---------------
Does ISO 9001:2000 require a Master List of Procedures, Work Instructions and/or Documented Processes?
---------------

No, It is not required, but anyway I find it very useful and covenient. Considering the capabilities of modern IT, it is also not a problem.
Isn't it good to always have the possibility to address to a library catalogues to look up something? It also allows you manage your documention.
I even set up a kind of master-lists for types of data being registered within the quality system.

IMHO

YS

Anton

H

HFowler

Anton,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you. Having a document list is a good idea, and it makes controlling them easier. I just want to be careful not to create so much documentation that control becomes more of a burden than necessary. If a Master List was a requirement, then I wanted to know exactly which ones first, before I created any additional ones. I am trying to keep our documentation as simple as possible.:)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Many companies have numerous 'master' lists because their documentation system allows for - for example - each department to control documents relevant only to their department. On the other hand, a 'master list' can simply be a directory listing of a computer directory where controlled documents are' kept'.

Keep it simple...

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Master Lists

I have the benefit of developing my own databases and integrated them to use as an application to manage:
Documents (Specs, WI, Dwgs, SOPs, Forms)
Document Change Requests (DCRs - Plant)
Engineering Change Orders (ECOs - Corp)
Corporate Deviations (Linked with ECO db if permanant change was made)
Plant Deviation
Material Discrepancy Reports (MDRs)
RCAs (Supplier & Internal 'Process')
Record Retention
...etc...

I've integrated them into one 'program' and even tied in the New/Revised Document Notificaiton Form we use to communicate updated documents to all operators & staff (this enables me at a touch of the button to print anywhere from 1 to 16 of our notificaiton forms (complete with associate listing for the applicable dept/shift so we're not trying to guess who hasn't seen it yet). I can print out open logs, master lists, Track 'pending' action items, etc.... I even have the ISO element linked to the documents so when we do internal audits I can print out referece lists of related documents to be reviewed.

This has been an invaluable tool. I've some major upgrades to make at the end of this year anyway so any updating necessary for the 2000 revision will be thrown in.

I never liked the 'canned' programs, so I made my own and we are much better off because of it. Our sister plants all have an ISO Coordinator and an assistant to manage what I do by myself (not that they ever even offered an assistant...nor am I getting more $$ than the others). But this helps me to be more organized/efficient and I cannot imagine functioning without it.

A

airzilla - 2011

Document Lists

No they are not "required" but I have seen many individuals and organizaitons spend a lot of time on them. This approach is probably related to the idea that it provides a good "snapshot" of documentation.

I created an "online" master list that also provides access to our procedures, forms, etc. It pulls the latest versions from a formal CM repository set up for it and the control of our QMS assets. It has worked out quite well and provides excellent end user access. These are the "official" versions available via our intranet. Anything copied/printed from there is considered "unofficial" and uncontrolled". Our intranet contains the "master" versions.

H

HONEST_123

Hi,

we have master list of document with issue column up to 4 issue #.
In case of issue # 5 and more how i can log this number in said master list of document
:bonk:

Top Bottom