Does QS-9000 Require Manufacturing at Site?

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Does QS require Manufacturing at site?

Does anyone know if QS9000 requires that manufacturing be part of the certification scope? I know that TS16949 does, but how about QS?
:confused:
Thanks!
-Ana

D

db

Casana said:
Does anyone know if QS9000 requires that manufacturing be part of the certification scope? I know that TS16949 does, but how about QS?
:confused:
Thanks!
-Ana

In the Applicability part of QS (see page 2), it discusses this, however it does not say that manufacturing will be part of the scope. What it says is " QS-9000 applies to all internal and external supplier sites..." "Site is defined as a loction at which value-added production processe occur..."

Given that, QS will not apply to non-manufacturing locations. It would be hard to become QS-9000 if manufacturing were not in the scope. QS is designed for the production of parts.

Hope that helps.

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Thanks for your reply, db!

Our scope says we do "Marketing, Sales & Distribution" for our products. From the beginning we've been clear with our registrar that that's all we do, only using QS certified suppliers. Now they're saying that's not enough and that they'll need to audit our manufacturing sites (ie our suppliers) because they dont' recognize our supplier's registrar. Funny, they're not insisting to audit our design location in Germany.

To me its a cheap ploy to get more $$ from us. Or they goofed and should have never certified us.

So I was trying to understand their reasoning based on the QS requirements. Your answer certainly brings more food for thought...

D

db

Casana said:
Or they goofed and should have never certified us.

So I was trying to understand their reasoning based on the QS requirements. Your answer certainly brings more food for thought...

If you do not manufacture (assembly is considered manufacturing), then you probably should not have been registered to QS. The key is the term "value-added".

A

Al Dyer

Possibly think of QS as the automotive (B3) version of ISO, they couldn't keep their hands off of a decent document. TS is also based on automotive, but on a global scale.

Al...

Top Bottom