Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ?

M

MichelleN

I work in a small company (started quite recently) but with a high volume of work and a pretty good quality system. However, after I did the internal audits, I found that their Corrective actions did not have responsibility indicated. No corrective action created indicated any responsibility. A great amount of them were raised for customer complaints and the Quality Manager insisted that no responsibility should be indicated for these CARs because..."this is a small company and when Quality is responsible then how can Quality check the implementation of the corrective action and close it?"

In a way I understand him, but to me it does not seem correct to not indicate the responsibility. So then what happens in a bigger company if Quality is at fault(responsible)?? Isn't exactly the same issue? I have a lot of experience in Quality and auditing and worked in different companies, and until present I don't remember anybody else closing the CARs but just the Quality Managers (except when it comes to auditing, of course, when the auditor closes the CARs if they are used for audit non-conformances). Now that I found this issue, I am thinking that in cases like these probably somebody else should close the CARs...

I would very much like to find your opinion on this, too.

Thanks a lot,
Michelle

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

kgott

Re: Is "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ?

There is no requirement in ISO to allocate responsibility for corrective actions. Only good management requires this.

The underlying issue is how many customer complaints are received and why. While you do not indicate the volume of CA required, having a lot of complaints indicates that there may be fundamentaly poor process to begin with.

If this is the case raising CARs for each individual case is not going to solve the problem anyway. It may be more profitable to study the common themes in the reasons for customer complaints and then raise an NCR for those underlying reasons. Its then up to management to monitor, measure and if necessary take action to improve the appropriate processes to reduce the incidence of those events which cause customers to complain.

M

MichelleN

I know that the standard does not indicate to have responsibility for the CAR. Still, that is an action and somebody should be responsible to solve the issue appeared (correct the issue). Even the CQE primer indicates that the responsibility should be assigned.
There are not many complaints compared with the number of parts they produce. But of course, we'll try to find out some reasons and possibly solve them. However, my question was strictly related to responsibility, though, this is what actually bothers me now...especially that in 2-3 weeks from now we'll have a recertification audit...

Michelle

kgott explained it well. The standard doesn't require it, but it may be a good practice.

You may get further by trying to sell it as a really good idea instead of saying it is something that has to be done.

I know that the standard does not indicate to have responsibility for the CAR. Still, that is an action and somebody should be responsible to solve the issue appeared (correct the issue). Even the CQE primer indicates that the responsibility should be assigned.
There are not many complaints compared with the number of parts they produce. But of course, we'll try to find out some reasons and possibly solve them. However, my question was strictly related to responsibility, though, this is what actually bothers me now...especially that in 2-3 weeks from now we'll have a recertification audit...
It comes to the root cause finding for any CA process. When the root cause gets identified, it is that area responsible personnel (That process owner) who has (rather should take) the responsibility to address the root cause and find the CA and implement and check effectiveness. Whether the CA effectiveness was monitored and provided satisfactory results comes in the audit process.
Any typical 8D method for addressing CA has the 8th D as "Congratulate team"
This team and the person heading the team are direct responsible.
If not then its like the story of...
This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Michelle

Someone needs to do it or it will just sit on the table and people will avoid it. Frequently, companies will assign it to the process or dept. responsible for the failure or the root cause. Also, the standards promote a multi-functional approach when that is appropriate. Root causes frequently fall into a couple departments or processes.

J

JaneB

Someone needs to do it or it will just sit on the table and people will avoid it. Frequently, companies will assign it to the process or dept. responsible for the failure or the root cause. Also, the standards promote a multi-functional approach when that is appropriate. Root causes frequently fall into a couple departments or processes.
Yes, as Helmut says, someone needs to be responsible or nothing will happen.

OK, the Standard doesn't specifically prescribe that responsibility needs to be allocated in this specific clause... but the Standard does have over-arching requirements for responsibilities and the management system itself most certainly should take care of it. What does the relevant procedure (s) say about responsibility?

The argument that there shouldn't BE any responsibility allocated on a CAR because then Quality couldn't close them doesn't make sense to me. Someone has to be responsible - sounds like Quality is, but doesn't want it made formal? Which doesn't make sense to me.

I'd also look at the part that review of the action taken for effectiveness plays in this. OK, it sounds like it's normal in this small company for 'Quality' to assume responsibility for the action, and to close it also.
If that works, and there's little/no evidence to say it doesnt, OK. But who reviews the action for effectiveness? Is that Quality also? That still could work in a small company, but good practice would be to have some kind of higher level review - eg, at periodic review/management meetings? Or a review by GM/business owner, etc?

harry

Trusted Information Resource

........... What does the relevant procedure (s) say about responsibility? .................
I echo what Jane mentioned above.

Coming back to the thread title: Is "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions?, there isn't a need to be mentioned in corrective actions as long as it is found in the relevant procedure.

D

Darrell B

Speaking CA's, I just had an audit last week. The auditor gave me a minor finding because our written procedure did not mention the requirement for a response to be timely. All our CA's are issued through an ERP system, and the Reply By date is assigned. To me, if they met the date assigned, the response is "timely". Since "timely" is such a subjective term, I was a little incredulous on the finding, but it's an easy fix. Sometimes I feel auditors are bound and determined to find something, and are not above grasping low hanging fruit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A ISO 9001 2000 vs. Engineers - When does the Engineers responsibility end? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M How does FDA determine OAI and VAI after inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
N FPY requested for an industry that does not have rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Ajit Basrur Does "Refurbishment" fall under "Service"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
I Does BSI require suppliers to be ISO 9001 Certified? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Watchcat Does Regulatory Affairs put the "no" in innovation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Does anyone know what this call out means? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H Does anyone has feedback on a notified body for small companies? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 19
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Change to labelling - does it require a new 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M What does "constantly" mean ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
0 To which part of 13485 does this refer? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
lanley liao Does the customer`s trademark belong to customer-supplied property? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
H How does a gas turbine work on diesel fuel? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
G What does performance specification include? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A How much does a complete biocompatibility test package cost? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Does anybody know how to get older versions of Minitab to work in Windows 10? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Does the ISO 9001:2015 standard require a disaster recovery plan or emergency response plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 14