SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Does the age of the lead auditor matter in QMS audits ?

eternal_atlas

Involved In Discussions
:confused: One External Auditor with the age of 31 came for an audit. He is very professional. I never see such an auditor style even from the experienced auditor.

In short,he added some value to the audit where our experienced people does not agree on that.. Reason you know very well.. Resistance.. How come a 30 can advise or audit 60 ?

Everyone in the top is having an image of auditor is of age atleast above 45 and must have good industrial experience. say for example.. To audit a QMS hospital a senior doctor should come.. To audit a mechanical industry, an auditor with mechanical engineering experience is must..

After the audit, my management called me not to invite such type of auditors . Reasons is as follows. We should maintain the image when we are auditing the senior persons..

My opinion is : ISO is a management standard. The auditor should have auditing experience ,aware of ISO clauses,good attributes,a good knowledge of the business process to be audited.. these are more than enough to audit the QMS, No need of QC - Mechanical Engineer with Lead Auditor Experience shall do the audit of mechanical works..

I need your comments..

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

amanbhai

Re: Is it Age of the lead auditor matters to audit QMS?

This is exactly the case happned only yesterday.
Manager experince 25 years whereas, the auditor age in the visicnity of 31 years roughly. :bigwave:

charanjit singh

Involved In Discussions
Re: Is it Age of the lead auditor matters to audit QMS?

I entirely agree with the point regarding the age of the auditor. What matters is the in-depth knowldge and understanding of the requirements.I have seen auditors of 45 highly qualified yet 'bookish' with an 'I know better than you all' attitude. I have also seen an auditor of 29 years age yet with maturity and good grasp of the requirements. The former was an M.Tech in the same field as the client industry (mechanical engineering) while the latter was a Computer Applications qualifed and not an engineer.

Having said so I also think some useful experience in the industry/enterprise under audit is very necessary for the auditor (irrespective of his/her age) though there could be some intelligent people who have learnt the ropes from books/literature or from forums like this one.

Jupitor

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Hi Suresh Kumar,

I have slightly modified the title of your thread - pls let me know if its fine with you.

I am enclosing the Job posting for 3 Lead Auditors Required for Oil and Gas Company in Saudi Arabia - is it not strange that they want 25 year old Lead auditors :D

Your management needs to be mature enough to understand that age is no longer a criteria for certain things. Its true that auditing matures with experience but it does not mean that all 25 year old or 30 year old youngsters do not have knowledge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

joshua_sx1

...and besides, although the standard mentioned about the minimum educational attainment requirements (which can be related to minimum age), the standards does not relied on “age” but on the competence level of the auditor i.e. the ability to apply the knowledge and skills gained through the education, work experience, auditor training and audit experiences…

…well, you cannot really avoid this kind of “judgmental” thing… but as long as the auditor is meeting the minimum requirements of the standard, there is nothing ethically wrong, when a 31 year old auditor is auditing a 50+ year old manager…

…it’s only in the mind of an egoistic person…

:2cents:

eternal_atlas

Involved In Discussions
Hi Suresh Kumar,

I have slightly modified the title of your thread - pls let me know if its fine with you.

I am enclosing the Job posting for 3 Lead Auditors Required for Oil and Gas Company in Saudi Arabia - is it not strange that they want 25 year old Lead auditors :D

Your management needs to be mature enough to understand that age is no longer a criteria for certain things. Its true that auditing matures with experience but it does not mean that all 25 year old or 30 year old youngsters do not have knowledge :)
Dear Ajith,

Thanks for your modification which sounds good.. the example you quoted is a nice one.. its a eyeopener for the experts of white hair sitting at the top.. but anyway, we have to live with type of resistance wherever you goes and whenever u try to change the people of doing work.. i had a good experience in dealing with this high profile people in my career..

I used to quote those people as an examples whenever i do the awareness programme on QMS..

Once again, thanks for your comments..

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SAGHIR AHMED

Will revert

:confused: One external auditor with the age of 31 came for an audit. He is very professional. I never see such an auditor style even from the experienced auditor.

In short,he added some value to the audit where our experienced people does not agree on that.. Reason you know very well.. Resistance.. How come a 30 can advise or audit 60 ?

Everyone in the top is having an image of auditor is of age atleast above 45 and must have good industrial experience. Say for example.. To audit a qms hospital a senior doctor should come.. To audit a mechanical industry, an auditor with mechanical engineering experience is must..

After the audit, my management called me not to invite such type of auditors . Reasons is as follows. We should maintain the image when we are auditing the senior persons..

My opinion is : Iso is a management standard. The auditor should have auditing experience ,aware of iso clauses,good attributes,a good knowledge of the business process to be audited.. These are more than enough to audit the qms, no need of qc - mechanical engineer with lead auditor experience shall do the audit of mechanical works..

I need your comments..

While life experience undoubtedly is a factor to consider, there is no age requirement, of course.

It is also a question of perspective: In a previous orgainzation which I left over 15 years ago (which would place me in roughly the same age bracket as the auditor in your example), I was considered "old", and was in fact sometimes refered to as "the old guy" :D. Today, 15+ years on, I work for an organization with a much higher average age, and yes: I am considered to be quite young by our standards. :lol:. Fortunately we are now having a generation shift with a number of people retiering and new truly young people entering the fray every year... About time too: That young image of mine will not hold up for closer scrutiny much longer. :cool:

Anyway: It is all about competence, not age.

/Claes

J

John Nabors - 2009

Just my :2cents:..

Many years ago, my Dad (now happliy retired) and I worked together for a military / aerospace contractor. He was the toolmaker / machinist with about a million years of experience, I was the new quality kid on the block with much less experience but a decent education in the latest and greatest methods. As a team we were darn near unbeatable when it came to problem solving.

Don't discount the value of a younger person with a fresh education and a younger person's sense of innovation, but also don't discount an older, more experienced person's wisdom. If you must choose between the two, you won't go wrong with either choice but in my humble opinion, the best choice is a situation where there is teambuilding between both sorts.

Now I am the semi-old guy who knows I still have plenty to learn from the new kids even as I teach them the meager bits I have learned.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Does anyone have a checklist to prepare for ISO 13485, Stage I audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Does a refurbished product required a new UDI? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Change to labelling - does it require a new 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M What does "constantly" mean ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
0 To which part of 13485 does this refer? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Records Control - Does each individual record need to be numbered? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 2
lanley liao Does the customer`s trademark belong to customer-supplied property? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
H How does a gas turbine work on diesel fuel? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
G What does performance specification include? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A How much does a complete biocompatibility test package cost? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Does anybody know how to get older versions of Minitab to work in Windows 10? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
M Does the ISO 9001:2015 standard require a disaster recovery plan or emergency response plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Does an accessory need an IFU if it use is discussed in the Parent device IFU? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 8
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
M How does IEC-60601-1 apply to a non-medical device in the patient vicinity? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14