Does the data in a control chart have to be normally distributed?

This may be a silly question, but here goes. Does the data in a control chart have to be normally distributed for the CP and CPk figures to be valid? The process is stable i.e. in statistical control.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Cristi?nC

Here are my 2 cents:

Control charts and Cp and Cpk figures are closely related, but some differences are important to notice.

First: Data set for your capability analysis must follow a normal distribution. It is an underlying assumption.

Second: Control charts assumes normal distribution when de process is stable. If you are using an Xbar / R chart, with a sample size of 4 or 5 at least and your process is stable, then you can be confident with regard to the normality distribution of your data (There is a statistical theorem behind this). Individual and Moving Range charts are more sensitive to departures from normality, therefore is advisable to check for normality (even if your process is stable)

Practical conclusion: If your chart is an I/MR one, then the normality in the control chart is enough for the Cp and Cpk indexes to be valid, but, if your chart is an Xbar/R one, then you must check for normality of your data before analysing the capability indexes.

Hope this helps.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

First of all let me state that I am not that strong in the statistical field.

When I use a Control Chart (X-bar & R) with a "natural" limit of zero (True Position, Flatness, Profile, Concentricity, etc.), what "rule" is being violated? I ask because the "underlying data" is NOT normally distributed (typically skewed right), yet the charts sure seem to work!!!! :confused: :confused:

Bill

M

M Greenaway

Bill

Dont see why your examples are necessarily skewed, or naturally limited to zero.

Are you using tolerance based control limits or process based ?

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Are you using tolerance based control limits or process based ?
I (we) use process based control limits but of what use is a LCL of less than zero when the dimension cannot "naturally" be less than zero? In other words, I might only have room for -1s between my mean and zero and then have room for up to, say, +5s between my mean and the USL (yet my UCL is still only +3s from the mean).

Bill

L

Laura M

Bill Ryan said:

When I use a Control Chart (X-bar & R) with a "natural" limit of zero (True Position, Flatness, Profile, Concentricity, etc.), what "rule" is being violated? I ask because the "underlying data" is NOT normally distributed (typically skewed right), yet the charts sure seem to work!!!! :confused: :confused:

Bill
Atul is right. Control charts work because even tho the individuals are not notmally distributed, the subgroup average tend toward normality. I believe its the Central Limit Theorem - but I'm sure another stat geek will correct me if I'm wrong. Of course depending on the amount of skewness, it won't be completely normal unless subgroup sizes are unusually large.

M

M Greenaway

I get you Bill.

Did you see my complaints response times charts posted in this topic, it was just as you describe.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Martin, thanks for reminding me of your earlier post and I have just reread the responses. You're right in that it closely follows my question.

Laura - I believe you're correct with the Central Limit Theory stating that subgroups tend to approach the Gaussian distribution.

The issue I've got is time. When we enter the production mode of a product's life, we don't have the time to have enough data to approach anything resembling "normalcy" yet I need to understand my process' output. Typically, I will take my 25 subgroups and plot the X-bar & R chart (I personally don't like I & MR charts because they tend to promote over-adjustment). If all is "well" in the R chart, followed by the X-bar chart, I implement the chart into the inspection process.

I guess I'm saying that the X-bar & R chart is the tool of choice on our production floor and I don't go analyzing all the different charts we have when Cpk indeces are greater than 2 (I have too many that are less than 1!! And yes those get some of the other statistical tools "thrown" at them). Typically, the charts with an index of greater than 2 gets "backed off" as far as frequency of inspection (or completely dropped, if not a safety feature or customer requirement).

Here I go rambling again. Bottom line is that I'm "uncomfortable" with my knowledge of transformation techniques. Yes I can substitute numbers into just about any formula but when I don't grasp the concept, I can't justify "playing games" with data to my management or customers. Maybe it's time I took a statistical refresher course or something.

Thanks for the replies!!!!!!

Bill

L

Laura M

Oops - I answered why Control Charts work - but you're original question was do Cp and Cpk count if distribution isn't normal.
Each type of distribution (exponential, normal, etc) has its own standard deviation formula. Certainly the percentages of "parts out of spec" do not apply - this is based on a normal distribution. So I would plot the individuals against the spec limits. Is it then possible to estimate how much of a mean shift you would need for the highest point to reach the spec? I would want to make sure the control chart is robust enough to pick up that shift.

You say its in control - so I take it it's not 100% inspected, and you don't have "flyers" outside the spec limit?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Does Powerway's APQP - PPAP fulfill TS16949 document and data control requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
I 510k Performance Testing Studies (Raw Data) - What does the FDA expect 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
shimonv Does 510(k) submission need to include UDI Data Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
SteveK Does anyone know what a healthcare GDSN data pool actually looks like? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
M Does anyone here have experience implementing PCI DSS (Data Security Standard) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 10
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Who does the Analysis of Nonconformances and other Data Analysis? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 23
E Does anyone have a P-chart template for operator data collection? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I 510k Approval - Does the FDA look for Clinical Data 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Plug Gage Calibration Report does not include actual data - ISO 9001:2000 section 7.6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Fitting an Equation to a set of data? Does minitab have the capability? Using Minitab Software 4
D Ppk Sampling Method - Does data for Ppk have to been continuous? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Calibration Certificates - Does 17025 require that all 'As Found' data be recorded? ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
D ISO 9001 - Gigantic waste or Beneficial? Why does ISO 9001 exist? Got data/facts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 235
G Gloss Fade - Does anyone have any data on the fade of gloss on wood? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Number of Distinct Data Categories:nDC: Where does the constant 1.41 come from? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Watchcat Does "Similar Device" = "Predicate"? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Definition Open Audit - What does an Open Audit mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P What does UPH/m² mean? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG SCMH explains "positive risk"..........but does it? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29