Does training have to be written?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I had a CAPA against an uncontrolled document in use in my plant, and I want to know if training on the use of the new document needs to be written? Or is verbal training and a signed training record enough?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm a bit confused as to what is the issue. Is the finding against the fact that an uncontrolled document was in use? Or is the finding against how training was completed on a new document? I think I'm confused because you say "uncontrolled document" and "new document" and I'm not sure how the two align.

All that said, the standard doesn't say how to document the nature/content of the training, so what does your own internal process require?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
The document was uncontrolled which was the non-conformance. A new document was created and released the appropriate way, and then training was provided verbally on the use of the new document and a training record was signed by the employees who were trained as evidence of the training.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
The document was uncontrolled which was the non-conformance. A new document was created and released the appropriate way, and then training was provided verbally on the use of the new document and a training record was signed by the employees who were trained as evidence of the training.
Our internal process doesn't specify that training has to be written, but I don't to get worked over by the next auditor.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Maybe it's a language issue and if so, I do apologize, but why was a new document created? Why not simply create a controlled version of the existing document? Or was there information on the uncontrolled version that needed to be incorporated into a new version?

Either way, the standard does not tell you how to train. What it looks for is effectiveness of the training usually demonstrated through competence. Competence can be measured by any nonconforming outputs of the process.

So, if the document is "How to Operate Machine B"...and the team(s) that use Machine B have 0-some organizationally-determined acceptable number/rate of defective products, then essentially have competence, meaning the training was adequate.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
If I understand you correctly, you have a training record signed by the employee. This serves as an objective evidence of training and should be good enough.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Verbal training with a record thereof is fine.
Exactly.

Training could be written, video, live demonstration, verbal, or any combination. What matters is did the training accomplish it's goal of adequately conveying the information.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Does anybody have quiz's available? ISO 13485:2016 Training Material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Does anyone have any pointers on TS 16949 Internal Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Does Senior Management require Training Plans? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
S Does anyone have an AS9100 System Training Datum? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Does any one have FDA 21 CFR Part 820 QSR training material? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
W Does anyone have a Training Exercise for 5 Whys Problem Solving? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
M Does anyone have information on SOPFEL Training & Maintenance Documentation? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
sagai Required Documentation for 820.25(b) - What does "Training shall be documented" mean 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
S What does Training Mandays indicate? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
A Does Training come under HR department? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 29
I Does Anyone Have any Basic Calibration Training Materials? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Does anyone have an effective training management and tracking system in place? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
G Does BSI do ISO 9001/TS 16949 Lead Auditor training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
J Does anyone have .ppt presentations for Respirator Training? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
dsalcido Does anyone have training material they are willing to share on Cpk, FMEA, 8D? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
J Does ISO9k2k require Safety Training needed in production floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
A AS9102 Training - Does anyone have a good AS9102 training presentation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Who does what training? Training of our machine operators Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K Lead Internal Auditor Training - Does the lead auditor require additional training? Internal Auditing 6
S Mistake Proofing and Root cause analysis - Does anyone have any training materials? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
I Internal Auditor Training - Does TS 16949 Require Formal Training or Certification? Internal Auditing 19
N Blueprint reading training - Does anybody have any recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D Does anyone know of a good FMEA training class for TE Supplement suppliers? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Howard Atkins Does anyone know of training courses in English for VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
S Does anyone know where Guide 25/Palcan Training is available? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B General Motors and Honda Alliance - What does this mean to suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Does ISO 9001:2015 cover all the requirements of ISO 10012:2003? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
L Turkish Requirements - Does the Software need to be translated? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Does AS9100 require traceability to operators performing the work? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
A EN ISO 14971:2019 does not include the Annex Zs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4