Does TS16949 Scope cover Service Parts?

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
[Now this question is telling how well we know our customer base, and I understand that we have this weakness.]

When grappling with what to do concerning the new SI for 7.4.1.2, Supplier Quality Management System Development, and possibly making a distinction between Automotive and Non-Automotive (ISO Certification VS. TS Certification) my current management gave the impression that our registrar was not interested in our customers who primarily provide 'service parts' as opposed to 'production parts.' I was surprised with this position, so thought I would ask my fellow covers if there is any truth to this thinking. I would think that the TS scope would cover both production and service parts- right? I mean most of the CSRs for record retention of Part Approvals, Tooling Records, and Purchase Orders is "for the length of time that the part (or family of parts) is active for production and service requirements plus one calendar year."

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Doug

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

ralphsulser

Try looking at TS 7.5.1.8 Service agreement with customer
"When there is a service agreement with the customer, the organization shall verify the effectiveness of
-any organization service centers
-any special-purpose tools or measurement equipment, and
-the training of service personnel"

This may help you decide.

We don't have any service parts, so haven't had to confront the interpretation.

Douglas E. Purdy

Try looking at TS 7.5.1.8 Service agreement with customer
"When there is a service agreement with the customer, the organization shall verify the effectiveness of
-any organization service centers
-any special-purpose tools or measurement equipment, and
-the training of service personnel"

This may help you decide.

We don't have any service parts, so haven't had to confront the interpretation.
Thanks, but that service would be for either production or service parts - right?

Doug

R

ralphsulser

I would think that is correct since there should be no difference in parts quality or process controls and parts can be shipped directly to the customer or the service distribution location.

Years ago in the 70's companies would always keep parts set aside which were not up to customer requirements, to ship as "service" parts. The reason was that they fiqured that the parts were going to end up at dealers, and they were not as picky and would work the parts to fit and finish needs. Mostly that was a correct assumption.
Those days are long gone and both type products require the same standards.

V

Valeri

Doug - quick question for you- to whom to you supply service parts?

It is my understanding that "service parts" refers to parts/materials that go to dealers or other distribution centers for vehicle maintenance & repair; e.g. muffler systems, catalytic converters, distributor caps, etc.

Anyone - please advise if this definition is not correct.

V

vanputten

I am not sure how 7.4.1.2 fits into your question about your customers.

Does the following FAQ from the IAOB / IATF website help? It appears to me that the manufacture of service parts for cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles could be within your or your customer's TS scope.

ISO/TS 16949:2002 Frequently Asked Questions (TS FAQs)

IATF communicated FAQs are clarifications of existing requirements. They are not new requirements, thus the original requirements should form the basis for reporting any noncompliance and not the FAQs.

Applicability/Scope
Question: Which Organizations can obtain Certification/Registration to ISO/TS 16949:2002?

Answer: Any Organization in the Automotive Supply Chain meeting the criteria below can obtain Certification to ISO/TS 16949:2002

1. Scope 1.1 General
- This Technical Specification, in conjunction with ISO 9001:2000, defines the quality management system requirements for the design and development, production and, when relevant, installation and service of automotive-related products.
- This Technical Specification is applicable to sites of the organization where production and/or service parts specified by the customer are manufactured.

2. "Automotive" shall be understood as including the following:
- Cars, Trucks (Light, Medium and Heavy), Buses, Motorcycles

3. "Automotive" shall be understood to exclude the following:
- Industrial, Agricultural, Off-Highway (Mining, Forestry, Construction, etc.)

4. 3.1.11 "Site"
- Location at which value added manufacturing processes occur.

5. “Manufacturing”
- Process of making or fabricating:
Production materials
Production or service parts
Assemblies, or
Heat treating, welding, painting, plating, or other finishing services

http://www.iaob.org/

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
[Now this question is telling how well we know our customer base, and I understand that we have this weakness.]

When grappling with what to do concerning the new SI for 7.4.1.2, Supplier Quality Management System Development, and possibly making a distinction between Automotive and Non-Automotive (ISO Certification VS. TS Certification) my current management gave the impression that our registrar was not interested in our customers who primarily provide 'service parts' as opposed to 'production parts.' I was surprised with this position, so thought I would ask my fellow covers if there is any truth to this thinking. I would think that the TS scope would cover both production and service parts- right? I mean most of the CSRs for record retention of Part Approvals, Tooling Records, and Purchase Orders is "for the length of time that the part (or family of parts) is active for production and service requirements plus one calendar year."

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Doug

Service parts clearly are within the scope of TS-16949, as Dirks's post #6 cites. Service parts are ordered and shipped to OE sites, and most of the same requirements and rules apply. Some companies have entire plants dedicated to just service parts, and they can be registered to TS.

"Aftermarket" parts are not generally sold to OE's. Sears, Pep Boys, etc. would be outside the scope of TS.

Note: There could be customers who want suppliers to follow TS rules, though they would not meet the applicability as stated in TS. I don't know of any but an example could be a tractor manufacturer could require TS systems. It would be a customer requirement the plant followed, though it would be outside the scope of my TS audit.

Note: Service provision is not the same as Service Parts. And, it is not addressing warranty replacements. Service provision would be similar to field servicing forklifts and copiers. It is rarely applicable.

LUV-d-4UM

Service parts clearly are within the scope of TS-16949, as Dirks's post #6 cites. Service parts are ordered and shipped to OE sites, and most of the same requirements and rules apply. Some companies have entire plants dedicated to just service parts, and they can be registered to TS.

"Aftermarket" parts are not generally sold to OE's. Sears, Pep Boys, etc. would be outside the scope of TS.

Note: There could be customers who want suppliers to follow TS rules, though they would not meet the applicability as stated in TS. I don't know of any but an example could be a tractor manufacturer could require TS systems. It would be a customer requirement the plant followed, though it would be outside the scope of my TS audit.

Note: Service provision is not the same as Service Parts. And, it is not addressing warranty replacements. Service provision would be similar to field servicing forklifts and copiers. It is rarely applicable.
"Some companies have entire plants dedicated to just service parts, and they can be registered to TS."

We have plants that are dedicated to just service parts (or service fill for fluids) and they are not registered to TS. Is there a problem?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Does TS16949 require MSA on all measurement systems in the Control Plan? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Z Does a Tooling Build or Design Benefit From TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
P Does ISO/TS16949 registration include ISO 9001 registration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Where does the 16949 number in TS16949 come from? ISO Numbering System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Ts16949 - Company Does Not Want To Invest IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
K Contingency Plans - Does TS16949 require natural disasters be included? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R After the corporate facility has been TS16949 audited does a 90 day time clock start? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Does anyone have a good cross reference from QS9000 to TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Does you company invite a consulting company when register for ISO/TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C What Metrics (Measurables) Does TS16949 Require? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I Does anyone have any advice for a TE supplier in regards to TS16949? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
H Does Powerway's APQP - PPAP fulfill TS16949 document and data control requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
M TS16949 and APQP - Does anyone have a cross reference from APQP to TS16949 clauses? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K TS16949 & Supplier Development - To which suppliers does this requirement apply? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
D Does the DoC require a technical documentation version? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Local (country) registration of medical devices - Who does it in best case? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
G When does containment event not require 100% sort? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
H Does this clause mean i must be in compliance with AS9100 or is 9001 enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H Does ISO state in anyway that we MUST keep physical first piece parts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
XRAY_3121 Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing?? US Medical Device Regulations 5
F Change in address for critical supplier - does NB need to be informed? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
S Brexit ISO 13485:2016 + Corrigendum - What does a UKCA DoC require? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Does anyone know about tobacco-free nicotine pouches? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
cgaro62 Does FDA apply to a non-medical 13485 certified custom manufacturing company? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R Does anyone use iQMS for their ISO based document control? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
V How many hrs does it take to create a Technical File (TD)? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M How does FDA determine OAI and VAI after inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
G Does TPI agencies comes under outsourced process as per Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 11
N FPY requested for an industry that does not have rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
William55401 21 CFR 11 Password Aging - What does "periodically" revised mean in your org? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
I CQI-15 Welding System Assessment 2nd edition - Does not require Ultrasonic Welding anymore? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Ajit Basrur Does "Refurbishment" fall under "Service"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T What does VW mean by annual requalification? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
I Does BSI require suppliers to be ISO 9001 Certified? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Watchcat Does Regulatory Affairs put the "no" in innovation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Does anyone know what this call out means? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H Does anyone has feedback on a notified body for small companies? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Does IVD need to integrate with hospital IT infrastructure? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
D What does a level 1 (PSW) PPAP actually promise? APQP and PPAP 19
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1