Does your Quality Assurance Department have its own Independent Budget?

Does your Quality Department have its own independent budget?

• Funding comes out of the general budget, large expenditures must be approved by higher management.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • We have a separate budget but large expeditures within that budget must be approved.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • We have a separate budget and spending is entirely discretionary by the QA manager or equivalent

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: QA Department Budgets

You're not unique!

From my perspective I'll bet QA is identified as a burden, a non-value added process and so on. Correct?

So what do you want or need to know?

J

John Nabors - 2009

Re: QA Department Budgets

Randy-

I want to either have ammunition for when we bring this up with top management or know that this is the norm and I can go crawl back under my rock.

-John

Randy

Super Moderator
Then perform those actions necessary to show that QA is not a cost burden but an investment with expectation of return. Focus on preventive as opposed to corrective actions (you still have to identify broke stuff, but try to identify it before it breaks).

When you report on your activities to management try to put information into a format that will be understood, create a desire to get involved and will bring you up to the same level as other activities....$

J

John Nabors - 2009

I guess I should be more to the point.

Whenever my department gets swamped (which is often) the response from top management is to throw more people at me. I don't want more warm bodies, I want to provide better tools to the talented people I already have in order to improve our productivity. I can't seem to convince my boss's bosses that down here in the trenches we know what we need and would prefer to have the discretion to take the resources (monetary) being expended on the aforementioned warm bodies and have the discretion to allocate those resources to invest in equipment to improve not only our productivity but also our range of capabilities.

Am I making any sense?

E

Ederie - 2007

Instead of all the budget stuff, why not show them in a spread sheet how new equipment can speed up your processes and save money and avoid the mad rush. If they say nada, keep the information handy for the next "emergency".:bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Why does a SQA (Software Quality Assurance) standard be implemented in our company Software Quality Assurance 4
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
N Which SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) phase does Quality Assurance Participate Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
Y What does Quality Assurance mean? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
C Does QA (Quality Assurance) Function Need Autonomy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B Quality Policy does not include a commitment to comply with legal requirements Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
J President does not know what the Quality Policy means ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q Who does a QC (Quality Control) Auditor report to? General Auditing Discussions 11
Q What is a Quality Charter and how does it differ from a Quality Plan? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C Where does Quality Authority come from? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
J What does "effective implementation of quality management system" mean? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Does a process map satisfy 21 CFR 820.20(d) (Quality Plan)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Does your Quality Dept Control Procedures Outside the Scope of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S How does one get into the Quality Control (Quality Management) field? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
L Does someone has experience with a Supplier "Quality Watch" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
D Does the Quality Policy have to be controlled? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M How Does Your Organization Measure Cost of Quality? Benchmarking 14
J Does Every Staff need to read the ISO9001 Quality Manual from Cover to Cover? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
S Does the Company Quality Policy have to be posted in the Facility? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
P Does the Quality Manager have to be a Senior Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does the KFDA need our distributor to have a copy of our Quality System ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M What is a Quality Engineer? What does a Quality Engineer do? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
Q Does a Quality Manual need to be issued a Control Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 29
Q Quality Management Representative - Does the QMR HAVE to be a member of management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Explaining what a Quality Administrator does and Ballooning Prints Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Ajit Basrur Does anyone have a 30-60-90 day quality improvement plan? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Does overdue preventive maintenance require an evaluation on product quality? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Y Definition Does "quality planning" include "establishment of quality objectives"? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
M The Quality "Policy" - How does it differ from other company policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
B Who does QC (Quality Control) report to? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
A What is ISO 9001 Certification and how does it relate to Product Quality? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
S ISO 17025 Quality Manual - How elaborate does the quality manual have to be? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T R Chart use - What does "general quality level" mean? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Quality System Software with TS 16949, Does it good? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Why does production see quality negatively? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 34
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
M The Customer does not Audit to their own Supplier Quality Manual General Auditing Discussions 16
N Quality Program Plan - How much detail does the customer want? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J Delivery statement in quality policy - Does it warrant an NC? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Does the Quality Manual Need to be Distributed to All Employees? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 20
T How does a Business use the 4 pillars of Quality Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
quality1 Hired to Improve Quality but Company does not care about Quality Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 58
H Does The Company We Rent Space To Fall Under Our Quality System? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Does Quality Engineering have a role in QFD (Quality Function Deployment)? APQP and PPAP 1
M How many Quality Manuals does your company have? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
C Does auditing improve a Quality or Business System? Internal Auditing 7