Don't be a victim - High-level executive jobs

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Today's lesson:
Don't be a victim of any outfit that purports to have high-level executive jobs for you, but is in reality a high-priced "executive counseling" firm which will ultimately tell you of the need to pay them to shape up your resume, your cover letter, and your research, and your interview skills to get the job you "deserve."

Here's some sample listings from these lowlifes which hit my mailbox today:
EXECUTIVE VICE PREIDENT
Job Snapshot
Employee Type: Full-Time Employee
Industry: Other Great Industries
Manages Others: Yes
Job Type: Executive Management General Business
Education: 4 Year Degree
Experience: Greater than 15 years
Posted: 4/20/2009
VICE PRESIDENT
We assist professionals with experience as Vice President or Executive Vice President who have the following sample profile.

Ideal Profile: Vice President or Senior Vice President / Executive Vice President with 15 or more years experience in hiring and developing talent as an operations manager or sales manager, national and key account manager, business development manager or director of business development. Well rounded background in multiple phases of business. Strong leadership background with 10-15 years of progressive experience in senior level positions, preferably in educational settings. Demonstrated strong financial and communication skills. Demonstrated expertise in motivating others to establish and successfully achieve goals. Extensive experience in supervising large staffs and budgets. Bachelors Degree preferred.

Requirements: You must include a copy of your resume and have a minimum of 15 years of experience. You must live within a commutable distance of the Chicago / Northern IL area. You must have a current salary or earnings history of at least $120,000.

To learn more about how we can help to bring your career search to a successful conclusion go to please click on apply now to learn more about us. We make a commitment to work with you until you have accepted a position. If services are offered, fees may apply. We are an executive career search marketing firm, and offer a wide range of services & products subject to your needs and wants. The services are determined after the client has been assessed. This is accomplished by meeting with a search consultant at which time an evaluation is made.
Our firm has been effective for people with the following profiles: Senior executives, mid level professionals, former entrepreneurs, sales, marketing, law, finance, operations, accounting, retail, HR, health care, insurance, retiring military, non-profit, educators, PhD’s, manufacturing, purchasing, logistics, materials, distribution, inventory, director, manager, administrative, buyer, project management. We work with professionals with job titles such as executive; executive manager; senior manager; ceo; coo; marketing manager; brand manager; sales manager; project manager; operations manager; supply chain manager; purchasing manager; human resource manager; training manager; and more.
MANUFACTURING MANAGER
Job Snapshot
Employee Type: Full-Time Employee
Industry: Manufacturing Industrial Other Great Industries
Manages Others: Yes
Job Type: Executive Management Manufacturing
Education:4 Year Degree
Experience:Greater than 15 years
Travel:None
Posted:4/21/2009

Description

MANUFACTURING MANAGER
We assist professionals who have experience as a Manufacturing Manager with the following sample profile.

Ideal Profile: Manufacturing Manager with 15 or more years of experience developing and implementing viable strategies to lead teams to corporate quality and profit goals. Planning the production schedule with in budgetary limitations and time constraints. Analyze personnel and capital resources and selecting the best way to meet production quotas; monitor product standards; establish and maintain standards; product improvement. Works with purchasing to insure quality standards are met; and to insure inventory levels are maintained. Responsible for all projects assigned to the organizational unit. Acts as an advisor to subordinate supervisors, or staff members to meet schedules or resolve technical or operational problems. Administers schedules and performance standards. Requires knowledge of company policies, collective bargaining agreement and other applicable procedures.

Requirements: You must include a copy of your resume and have a minimum of 15 years of experience. You must live within a commutable distance of the Chicago / Northern IL area. You must have a current salary or earnings history of at least $120,000.

To learn more about how we can help to bring your career search to a successful conclusion go to please click on apply now to learn more about us. We make a commitment to work with you until you have accepted a position. If services are offered, fees may apply. We are an executive career search marketing firm, and offer a wide range of services & products subject to your needs and wants. The services are determined after the client has been assessed. This is accomplished by meeting with a search consultant at which time an evaluation is made.

Our firm has been effective for people with the following profiles: Senior executives, mid level professionals, former entrepreneurs, sales, marketing, law, finance, operations, accounting, retail, HR, health care, insurance, retiring military, non-profit, educators, PhD’s, manufacturing, purchasing, logistics, materials, distribution, inventory, director, manager, administrative, buyer, project management. We work with professionals with job titles such as executive; executive manager; senior manager; ceo; coo; marketing manager; brand manager; sales manager; project manager; operations manager; supply chain manager; purchasing manager; human resource manager; training manager; and more.
Note these listings were on the big job site http://www.careerbuilder.com/

I took a further look (search) on career builder and found dozens of similar "lures" Often, the same identical text would be used, merely changing the locations from "Chicago" to Cincinnati or Detroit or Minneapolis or Dallas or Los Angeles, etc.

My concern is not so much job seekers would actually part with cash to these folks, but that they would waste time and energy on these schmucks which could be better expended on a real effective and efficient job search.

Remember - these are desperate times and desperate people, frustrated with a stalled job hunt, are eager to get it kick started and, if they have the money (perhaps from a cashed-out 401k), could easily be duped into giving it to a guy who tells them how great they are, but they "just need some help in getting your strory out to the right people."

Have you had any situations where the job lead turned into a pitch for YOU to pay money? Were you tempted?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wmarhel

Have you had any situations where the job lead turned into a pitch for YOU to pay money? Were you tempted?
A couple of times, and it sounds like the same outfit you were describing Wes. I don't know if they are franchisees or not, but they try to get to you fill out this survey which is several pages long as an initial step, they will send you a pack of information on how the information world is changing, how they help you to get past the gatekeeper, etc. The price is over the top with no guarantees of even getting you interviews. After about the third phone call, and reading through their packet we ended contact; and not too politely as they were very pushy.

People may not realize this, but you were able to post your resume/s on websites such as Execunet, TheLadders, and 6Figures.com; you just couldn't initiate contact with a recruiter, nor perform searches to the level of detail that you could find out whom to contact. But you could come up in a recruiter's search and they could initiate contact. That's how I landed my current position. The handful of recruiters I dealt with on there were not the "franchise chain" types, as most had small, private recruitment firms and were very professional.

If someone needs a new career path, there is little reason to pay someone to help you do it. What people need to realize though, is that job hunting is a job in itself when done properly. You need to do the research, make the calls, send the e-mails, constantly be professional and not leave the TV blaring in the background when you pick up the phone, etc.

Wayne

Wayne

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PQ Systems Scaling Up? Don't Leave SPC Behind Using SQCpack Software 0
J WAIVED ON Q1 - We Don't have to comply with FORDS customer specific requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Records - Do's and don't' of record entries (FDA - 21 CFR 820) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
F What to do when you don't meet the 1:10 ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
MDD_QNA Accessory or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it-at-this-point EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
I "We don't have enough resources" as an Audit Non-conformance Response General Auditing Discussions 14
D PPAP a Rebranded Purchased Product (we don't manufacture) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Importing prototype without CE (dos and don'ts ) EU Medical Device Regulations 11
H Embedded Software - I don't understand that Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J We don't have enough Corrective action entries AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
M A non-religious country, where you don't drink? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
Jim Wynne Don't Pay the Ransom Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Stijloor American airports don't rank very well. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
S Don't Forget Canadian Provincial Electrical Code Requirements Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R EU-countries which don't accept English user manuals and require national translation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
B You don't need to know the distribution in order to apply SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
1 I don?t have any experience with ISO 9001 - Help Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
Wes Bucey Passing on slick roads - DON'T! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
BradM The Great Soul Train Conductor Don Cornelius-Dead World News 4
G ISO 17025 - Don't think we need a Sampling Plan... Or do we? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
H ISO 9001 Section 7 when you don't manufacture anything? Service Industry Specific Topics 6
S Some departments don't have Quality Objectives - Non Conformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 68
A "Do's" and "Don'ts" of auditing a former employer General Auditing Discussions 12
Wes Bucey Job recovery? or "statistics don't lie, people do" Career and Occupation Discussions 37
C Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 57
Wes Bucey "Making the case" & Networking - Do's & Don't's Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M How do I prove I don't receive a controlled product? Ractopamine Hydrochloride Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S ISO 9001 prohibits auditors auditing their 'own work' while other standards don't? Internal Auditing 59
M Suggestion System - Do's & Don'ts as well as Rewards System Manufacturing and Related Processes 29
BradM Just pretend you don't know about computers Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R Definition Basic Dimensions - What are basic dimensions? Why don't they have tolerances? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
J Control of Product Drawings - Engineers don't follow the same protocol ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S Normal distribution - I have a series of data but I don?t know the distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
Z Don't quite understand interpretation of ISO17025: 2005 clause 1.4 and 1.2 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
Wes Bucey It's Friday - don't stop the job hunt! Career and Occupation Discussions 2
ScottK The Management Representative cares about the QMS so you don't have to Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
V Can I apply for AS9100 Straight Away? (We don't have any ISO certificates) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P The reason why Small-to Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) don't use Six Sigma Six Sigma 19
S Granite Surface Plates - Maintenance, DOs and DON'Ts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
H How do I answer an audit finding I don?t agree with? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
V IMO our people don't need to read manuals or procedures and document changes to them Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 60