Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration

CaliperJim

Involved In Discussions
Hello. We use double ended GO/NO GO Thread Plug Gauges within a handle. Historically, we have serialized the GO gauge and the NO GO gauge with unique IDs. Current State Example: GO side gauge ID 372 and NO GO side gauge ID 402 are installed in same handle, and calibration records are maintained under each ID. The calibration vendor produces a certificate for 372 and a certificate for 402.
I would like to change to one ID and one calibration certificate with separate results for the GO and NO GO gauges. The GO gauge, and NO GO gauge, and handle are considered one measuring tool. As GO and NO GO gauges get replaced, the new gauges are installed in the handle and calibrated under the one tool ID. Are there any problems with switching to one tool ID for GO and NO GO gauges installed in the same handle? Thanks.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Not at all. That's how I've always done it and no auditor or regulatory body ever had a problem with it.
Consider it like an Optical Comparator - 3 axis that need to be checked separately, but one calibration sticker on the machine.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Scott. In the past, I have always treated a set of Go/NoGo gauges (thread, diameter, profile, whatever) as a single gauge. As long as your internal procedures don't say otherwise, and you maintain your records correctly, there should be no issue.
I would urge you to document (somewhere) your change in practice, so that if an auditor pulls up 'old' records and tries to correlate them to 'new' records, you can easily explain why there isn't a seamless paper trail.

ChrisM

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've never heard of anyone allocating 2 gauge numbers to a go/no-go gauge, it's always been one number as it is one physical item.
If you have concerns about changing one end, you could always allocate a new gauge number if that should happen, rather than "complicating" your record for the gauge when a change of end occurs

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
We have over a thousand thread gauges

All of our gauges have a unique reference, a “TR” number for a thread ring, a “TP” number for a thread plug.

A typical thread plug (e.g. TP109) will have a “Go” and a “NoGo” end, and both will have separate unique serial numbers.

If one or the other end shows it is well into to its wear allowance after calibration it will be replaced with a brand new end, that will come with a different serial number. The thread plug will still be TP109 but our records will show the transition date, new unique serial number and reason for change for the new end.

This is and has been standard practice for decades and has never been an issue during ISO9001/IATF16949 audits.

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
They only way that I would think an individual calibration asset number should be assigned to a plug end is if it is interchangeable with others to make unique combinations based on a job/run. But if, once combined, it does not change again then I always go for the K.I.S.S approach :)

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
I see also it's ok , the most detritions/wear are happened in Go ; therefore if we use exchangeable terminal it will more cost effective to safe the scraping of both ,

*evidence for scraping record should be kept for old gauge because the identification is still engraved / labeled in handle or in gauge box

*The uncertainty calculation & MSA should be considering the new calibration certificates of the new Go Gauge also.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Both identification methods are acceptable and will stand up to audits. I prefer an identification for the set, but the company I currently work at has always used the identification of each plug method.....

One reason for identifying each plug gauge is that the only way that you are sure that the right gauges are in a handle is to take them out and identify them. You aren't as likely to do that when you treat them as a set - it's just easier to assume that you have the correct set in the handle. We recently got a set back that ended up with two GO gauges installed, so you know that stuff like that can happen.

CaliperJim

Involved In Discussions
We have over a thousand thread gauges

All of our gauges have a unique reference, a “TR” number for a thread ring, a “TP” number for a thread plug.

A typical thread plug (e.g. TP109) will have a “Go” and a “NoGo” end, and both will have separate unique serial numbers.

If one or the other end shows it is well into to its wear allowance after calibration it will be replaced with a brand new end, that will come with a different serial number. The thread plug will still be TP109 but our records will show the transition date, new unique serial number and reason for change for the new end.

This is and has been standard practice for decades and has never been an issue during ISO9001/IATF16949 audits.
Perfect. Exactly how I intend to handle it. Glad there is proof it's acceptable. Thanks

Top Bottom