SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Double Major for the same infraction?

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
Double Major?

I know you like the actual wording used in a nonconformity however I have just completed day 1 of a 3 day IATF16949 re-certification audit with a new auditor and it isn’t going well.

When reviewing one of the PPAP’s he spotted that a CC on the control plan was not also referenced on the FMEA, and as this had happened once before on an audit on the previous 3 year audit cycle he delightedly announced “well that’s a double Major, one for the infringement and one for the failure of your corrective action process”. Is that correct can he actually raise two Major nonconformities for the same infraction?

There are minors I will dispute. but I won’t bore you with those……………………….yet J

Your collective experience and wisdom would be massively appreciated at this point.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Scanton,

I believe your auditor has a point and I think it's even in the rules somewhere that a major has to be given if a minor comes up again. Whether there's a timeframe allowed I'm sorry but I don't know. If it's on the previous cycle that might exclude you but I don't know the rulings.

On the second major again I think he's right in giving you a non-conformance against your corrective action process. Whether it's a major...I'm not sure.

"Delightedly" announcing majors? He's not getting a bonus for each one is he?

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
Two major NCs as per IATF rules if an NC is repeated from the previous audit.
One for repeat NC and second for the corrective actions not being effective.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
It is not the same infraction
  1. Your corrective action process was ineffective
  2. previous minor again found
The first aspect is more worrying than the second

from the rules
The certification body shall verify the effective implementation of the identified corrective actions at the next audit {see section 5-2}. In cases where the accepted corrective action plan is found to be not effectively implemented, a new major nonconformity shall be issued against the corrective action process {see IATF 16949, section 10.2} and the previous minor nonconformity reissued as a major nonconfomiity-

Delightedly is off colour :uhoh:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
First, while the regulations may require it, IMO it seems akin to "piling-on" to issue a double major for any repeat infraction.

Second, any auditor that "delights" in issuing NC's to a client, especially major NC's, is a jackass, IMO, and I'd ask that he not be sent back to my place after this audit is over. I have been warned by one highly experienced registrar auditor that he/she has 2 colleagues that delight in issuing majors, the one even openly bragging when he does so. They will not be auditing me if I can help it.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Second, any auditor that "delights" in issuing NC's to a client, especially major NC's, is a jackass, IMO, and I'd ask that he not be sent back to my place after this audit is over. I have been warned by one highly experienced registrar auditor that he/she has 2 colleagues that delight in issuing majors, the one even openly bragging when he does so. They will not be auditing me if I can help it.
With this there is no argument
Tell your CB that this is totally unacceptable behaviour and the auditor MUST be removed

Greg19

Starting to get Involved
5.11.3 applies if this was a minor issued at your previous audit.

The certification body shall verify the effective implementation of the identified corrective actions at the next audit {see section 5-2}. In cases where the accepted corrective action plan is found to be not effectively implemented, a new major nonconformity shall be issued against the corrective action process {see IATF 16949, section 10.2} and the previous minor nonconformity reissued as a major nonconfomiity-

But you are writing "and as this had happened once before on an audit on the previous 3 year audit cycle"
Was the nc issued at PA-Final?

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
Thank you everyone who replied, it has been most helpful.

Greg19 - The previous minor was raised at the last audit which was that last surveillance audit of the previous cycle, this current audit is the re-certification audit for the next cycle.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Without know the full details, I think the auditor may jumping to the conclusion that the previous corrective action was ineffective. The same end result can have multiple root causes.

An example: In electronics, an open circuit can have multiple root causes. Most of the following examples have multiple causes if one dives deeper. An open could be a defect in the bare PCB (which also has many root causes). An open could be caused by damage from soldering the components, such as a lifted pad or pad dissolution. It could be damage from the depaneling process. A defective component can can be an open when tested. A component installed backwards can cause an open by allowing too much current to pass and burning out a trace during testing.

If you can show the root cause is significantly different, the NC for an ineffective corrective action process should be withdrawn. I recognize in the real world the NC probably will not be canceled; this is a flaw in how the auditing system works.

Greg19

Starting to get Involved
Thank you everyone who replied, it has been most helpful.

Greg19 - The previous minor was raised at the last audit which was that last surveillance audit of the previous cycle, this current audit is the re-certification audit for the next cycle.

was worth a try :)

Hope the audit went well after all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Class II (Double Insulated) Power Supply with Output Tied to Earth: FE or PE? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
U Cpk Calculation - I analyse a double seam cans Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
R IMDS for double sourced component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
J Double-Retest of Nonconforming Material to Accept the Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
S Double Thermocouple - Two types, same sheath (AMS2750/Nadcap) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Is double packaging obligatory for surgical single-use scalpels? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Difference between a "Double D" slot and a "True Slot" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P IEC 60601-1-11 - Conversion to Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M FDA Submission Printing Format - Is double sided printing allowed? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
M OC Curves for Double Sampling Plan - How are they Derived? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
R Double Spec'ing in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 11
P Understanding IEC 60601-1:2005, Clause 8.1 b) - Short Circuiting Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
I ERP acronym has double meaning in our company Internal Auditing 6
G Double Blister Pack for an Implantable Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Do insulation layers in double insulation have sequence requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
M Effect of double ETO (Ethylene Oxide) Sterilization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Double certification 93/42/EEC and 89/689/EEC for gloves possible? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
kedarg6500 Writing the symbol for R bar bar (double bar) in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
B Define Fault, Double Fault and Normal Conditions - Preparing a Risk Management File FMEA and Control Plans 1
T Double Sampling Plan Explanation for * Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Double-sided (USL, LSL) Variables sampling plan Z1.9 - Use in Excel spreadsheet? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Advice on the best way to approach a double moving average using Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 3
J Screw Thread Inspection Standards? Double Ended Stud Inspection Criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Draw OC curve - Double sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
C Company has double identity - How do I state this in our QM (quality manual)? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
Marc Toyota vehicle recalls double in 2005 World News 1
D Unilateral / Bilateral Tolerances for dimensions with Double Plus or Minus Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
D Major NC from last audit not fixed not sure how to fix General Auditing Discussions 9
U How to pick between ANSI Z1.4 vs. ISO2859-1 for AQL Inspection? What are the major differences? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
A Define timeline for Major and Miner Audit finding General Auditing Discussions 4
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 10
W Major NCRs within AS9100 - What is the most frequent reason for Major NCRs? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Fact or fiction - Repeat minor becomes a major IATF non-conformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
N Validation procedure, Major NC CAP - Equipment Validation process is not effective ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K FAA Audit - Major nonconformity for lack of timely calibration of two devices EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
Y Informational Change control process - Major vs Minor change - Active class III medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12