Downloading Free spreadsheets from this site - Am I missing Something?

C

CJacobsen

I have read the posts in this section. Some of them refer to downloading spreadsheets from this site. I have visited the FTP area of this site and found only one listing - PDF files. In this listing I found the spreadsheets that were mentioned. I have tried to download some of these - but unsuccessfully. What am I missing? What is the technique to download one of the spreadsheets?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The pdf_files directory is actually set up as an http directory so anyone with a browser can navigate there and see the directory listing. The only restriction is the usual "Read Only' status.

If your browser is set up correctly all you have to do is click on the file name you want to 'download' and it should start downloading. You will probably get a dialogue box asking you where you want the file to be put on your computer.

If you are having problems, it has nothing to do with the site its self. It's pretty standard Apache running on unix.

If you want to tell me the details of exactly what happens when you click on a file name in the listing at Free Files Directory I'll try to help you.

Bottom line - it's a browser file helper configuration issue.

C

CJacobsen

Hmm....my browser is configured correctly. This is the only site that I can think of that I have this difficulty from. If I click on a PDF file I get the message do I want to open or save the file. If I click on an .xls file (like the spreadsheets) it never asks me if I want to open or save the file, it tries to open it through the browser and hence I get a screen of garbage. My suggestion, if you are going to offer files like .xls as downloads, you should have them in .zip format. That always triggers the download dialog.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I guess my browser is configured wrong... With my windows PC when I click on the file name in Explorer the file opens without a problem - no 'garbage' appears on my screen, just the file which I can then save to disk. I have my Mac configured to simply download the file to disk -- which works fine as well.

As I said - I have no problem opening up .xls files. I just opened 5 different .xls files from the pdf_files directory without any problem with my peecee. You can blame the site, but it seems strange that I have had no other 'complaints' about this until now and that I can't reproduce the problem myself.

If there are any peecee gurus who can explain what's happening, please speak up.

L

Laura M

Marc,
I do the same as you on a PC - open and save as. Not 'cuz I'm a PC expert - more because I'm NOT an expert - and that's what worked!

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I'm spoiled by the simplicity of the Mac OS. I looked all though explorer and windows to find a comparable setting on my peecee to tell it how to handle different file types and can't find anything. The HELP system didn't address the issue as far as I could tell.

Personally I don't know how to tell explorer on my peecee to save the file to disk rather than to open it in explorer - If I did I'd set it to download the file to disk. I sure would appreciate someone telling me how to do this or if it can be done as it can on my Mac.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Downloading and/or Viewing Files Attached to Posts Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
D Mac Users - Downloading pictures from my digital camera to iPhoto After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
D Certifcate of Free Sale Listing Physical Site from Belgium Competant Authority EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Free Sales certificates for Medical Devices - List of countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Covid Free Statements for Implants and sales reps. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
John C. Abnet Free Social Distancing Online Q&A session on 2 April 2020 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
B OSHA Top Ten webinar, March 31 (free online) [Deleted] Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B Free downloadable AS9100D audit checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
moounir Medical Device Nomenclature - Free of Charge? (European Union MDR MDR 2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
JoCam Medical Device Certificates of Free Sale - Distributors EU Medical Device Regulations 9
T Must all Disposable Medical Devices be DEHP Free for MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Are we required to obtain a Certificate of Free Sales for export to China? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
A Free software similar to Microsoft Project - Any suggestion? APQP and PPAP 5
M Information Required in Certificate of Free Sale Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
M Free Risk Management Webinar - Design for Quality - May 2017 Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
Z Labeling Requirements for Free Samples supporting Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Barrier Free vs. Wheelchair Accessible - Differences Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Avoiding Pitfalls in ISO 9001:2015 Transition - Free webinar Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
L Replacement of SAC305 Solder for SN100C Lead Free Solder? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Richard Regalado ISO/IEC 27001:2016 Overview and Vocabulary - FREE! IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
J0anne Alternatives to 'Latex Free' Labelling Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
P Does lead free solder rust? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Over 2,300 MS-DOS games now completely free to play at Internet Archive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
T Free Sale Certificate - China, Vietnam, Philippines and Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
S Certification that our Vaporizers are free from Bacteria Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
Chennaiite Copyrighted Standards available for free download - Is there a caveat? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 19
A IEC 60601-2-24 Question: Free Flow Clamp on Set? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A Legislation Register in Dubai (Free Zone) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
M Free Sale Certificate FSC / CFS - China China Medical Device Regulations 4
N Free iPhone app - Screw Thread Calculator After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
L Status of Certificate of Free Sale Transfer to MHRA - 1 April 2014 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Richard Regalado ISO/IEC 27000:2014 - Information technology - Overview and vocabulary (FREE download) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
C Do Nicotine Free E-Cigarettes require CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
DanteCaspian Free Poster Download: LANGUAGE OF LEAN CULTURE (2017 Revision Attached) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
C New ERP System: Any Free Gantt Chart Software Recommendations Out There Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Free from any Undue Internal and External Pressures - 4.1.5b clarification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Looking for a free Online Auditing Software / System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Free supplier audit webinar Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
M BSI-Free webinars Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
N Latex Free symbol for use in UK? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Free Improvement Guide provided by USCG Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 9
A Free Mindmaps Tool/Software wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Thailand reg- Certificate of Free Sale from legal manufacturer or manufacturing site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
D FDA Guidance on 'Latex-Free' Labeling Issued Today - March 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A RoHS Compliant Component = Re-Qualified for Lead-Free Soldering? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E FDA and ISO 13485 - Once we get our 510K are we free to sell product? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2