DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities) Calculation

F

faujix

DPMO calculation

Hi all

I am in a strange situation. The following is a quick run down of what I have- The question follows after that.

1. My companyt has about 4 plants. They have no formal receiving inspection.

2. We are in the consumer product industry and so our customers are the big retail outlets.

3. all customer returns are directed to a warehouse in Mexico. There is a quality manager at this warehose who inspects 100% of the returns. He fixes what he can and what cannot be fixed is sent back to the supplier.

4. some products are finished goods from our suppliers in the far east and some are assembled in Mexico. (Components could be brought in from domestic or overseas sources or some components may even be manufactured by our factories)

Question: I have been asked by senior management to come up with a process of calculating DPMO of all the suppliers keeping in mind that we don't have any receiving inspection.

Is this possible ? how do you think I can do this ? Should I try to set up a system at our suppliers ? I am open to any/all suggestions.

Thx

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

faujix,

Can you give us a little more information.

First, it appears that you buy both components and finished goods from the far east and that the components brought in from the far east are assembled with components that you manufacture in Mexico. Final product is either bought from the far east or is manufactured in Mexico from both mexican and far east components? If the final product is bought from the far east, do you do any inspection or test on it?

Second, what type of quality program exists within the four plants? Do you currently have any manufacturing/assembly metrics you track.

Third, do you have any type of corrective action system in place both internally and with your suppliers?

Rick

F

faujix

Rick

In explanation to your questions:

1. We have some products that are finished goods from the far east.

2. The other products are assembled and finished in Mexico. The components from these could come from the far east or domestic suppliers or even by our own plants.

3. We basically don't have any kind of receiving inspection at any plants. A receibving clerk merely receives the finished goods or components and enters that into our network.

4. we do not know our products are good or bad till our customer starts returning them to us.

WE just give specifications to our suppliers, do the first article, OK for production and then assume that all the production parts frpom then on are OK. I know it is primitive thinking in this day and age ! Our management ( new fresh blood) has therefore strted introducing Six Sigma, and all other pertinent quality concepts. This particular exercise is a part of this drive.

I hope I have made clear the situation.

thx

S
Faujix, I would start with the Quality Manager in Mexico.
At that point start gathering data and classify it into the categories you wnat to monitor.
EX. Type of defect, Supplier, Plant, Finished Product, Reason for Return, Qty of defects, Qty of Product .. . . . . etc.
Once the data is collected you can analyse it and prepare the nexessary reports.

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Faujix,

This may be side tracking a little but, have your "new" management team worked in a six sigma environment or have they picked up a few buzz words from magazines etc...?

If its the later you may have a bigger problem than you think.:frust:

Regarding your questions... A lot depends upon how sophisticated your systems are at measuring process yeild etc. If they are very "basic" I would keep the measurment "basic" and analyse External PPM to begin with.

What do they intend to do with the information?

Geoff:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
optomist1 DPM (Defects per Million) vs. DPMO (Defects per Million Opportunities) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
T DPMO (defects per million opportunities) - Key word being OPPORTUNITIES Six Sigma 9
Marc Definition DPMO - Defects Per Million Opportunities Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
J Definition DPMO and PPM - Differences - Defects Per Million Opportunities and Parts Per Million? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
S DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities) vs. RTY (Rolled-Throughput-Yield) Six Sigma 7
Z DPMO? Metrics for Engineering Drawings Six Sigma 1
D Siemens MES software DPMO Calculation Six Sigma 4
B Calculating Combined DPMO and Sigma Level for Two or More Different Work Areas Six Sigma 3
R Six Sigma / DPMO Related Inquiry - A 6 Sigma related Statistical Sampling question Six Sigma 2
1 What are TOP, DPU, DPO, DPMO? Mult-CTQ (discrete) ZST - Is this a probability? Six Sigma 1
S Confusion DPU, PPM & DPMO vs. Sigma Level - ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt hand book Six Sigma 14
ScottK Realistically - What kind of DPMO and sigma for a $5.00 part? Six Sigma 30
Y Definition DPPM - Quality Indicator? Using DPPM instead of DPMO as our OQA quality indicator Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S PPM vs. DPMO - Confused on how to use Six Sigma 2
B How to decide the ?U? to calcuate DPU and "opportunity" of DPMO Six Sigma 8
B How to define and Calculate the DPU, DPMU, DPMO, Yield, Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J How to calculate the sigma level of a process and Relationship of DPMO Six Sigma 7
S DPMO calculation for Testing stations- ideal way? High volume PCB manufacture Six Sigma 8
M Industry DPMO Standards - Contract Electronics Manufacturing processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Calculating DPMO for Exponential Distributions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Converting DPMO to SIGMA - Seeking Forumula Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Validating a stopped test due to never finding any defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Q PPM - Filtering Defects out of calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Determining sample size for inspection to achieve x% confidence re defects Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
R Classification of Major & Minor Defects AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
S Understanding, Analysis and Monitoring Quality Defects on Composite Components Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Is there any specific Standard on visual defects for extrusion and machined parts ? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
P What are the causes of painting defects? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Repeated Inspection - Probability of Visual Inspection catching Defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T How many complaints, defects and non-conformances are typical? Customer Complaints 5
P Monitoring Production Defects - Three simple questions Six Sigma 3
S Are P-charts for a Particular Defect or can Different Defects be counted in one? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
E Post Machining Casting Defects with MIL-STD-2175 Requirements - Responsibility Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
L What is the Cpk for Zero Defects Six Sigma 4
S Allowed Faults (Defects) on Plastic Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
G Sample Size for 2900 ppm Visual Defects Inspection Requirement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T 10 CFR Part 21 - Reporting of Defects and Noncompliance Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
Crusader "Defects" Visual Aid: To Control or To Not Control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
I Integrated Management System - Nonconforming Service/Product Defects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Supplier Spray Process Audit - Fish Eye, Spray Dust and Fiber Dust Defects Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
I Cpk < 1.33 - How do I estimate actual defects? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R Suppliers Defects found during Production Process - Supplier Scorecards Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
N Causes of Disbond Defects in Composites Manufacturing Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Aluminum Castings Defects - Welding and what to Mark with Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Calculation of Sigma Level of Defects for a Manufacturing Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Ron Rompen Looking for counter for my inspector to tally the number of defects discovered Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Tracking Defects - Help with Graphing Culprits from CAR's Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
B Effectiveness of 200% Visual Inspection to Identify Defects and Defectives Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 32