Definition DPPM - Defective Parts Per Million Calculation Formula

• Thread starter George Trybulski
  • Start date
G

George Trybulski

There are no dumb questions, right? Some people need to see this in writing. Calculation for DPPM is "one million divided by the units shipped then multiply by the parts found defective", Right? My cohort in crime has made me "brain dead" on this. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

I had to write it down, but if you do the math its the same...I just always reversed the order.. defects divided by # shipped times 1,000,000. Made it more like calculating % defective.

calimar75

Starting to get Involved
Definitions

I'm trying to find out if there is a document, standard, manual or something that actually defines PPM vs. dPPM. It appears as though some people use them interchangeably and others do not. To me they are two different metrics and I was hoping that there was some sort of document out there to clarify. Anyone?

A

Arvind

PPM and DPMO- Difference is # of opportunities

PPM- Parts or defects per million
DPMO- Defect per million opportunites

If a part has only one opportunity of producing defect then PPM & DPMO will have same meaning but if opportunities for defects are more than one, then DPMO is a preferred metric.

Arvind

Q

QA Lady

My formula for defects in PPM

Total defects divided by total possible defects X 1,000,000 = DPM
eg : 42 / 728,000 = .0000576 x 1,000,000 = 57.6 DPM

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
calimar75 said:
I'm trying to find out if there is a document, standard, manual or something that actually defines PPM vs. dPPM. It appears as though some people use them interchangeably and others do not. To me they are two different metrics and I was hoping that there was some sort of document out there to clarify. Anyone?

The really 'historical' definition is a direct result of the difference between a defect on a part and a defective part. You may have many defects on a single part. A part is defective if it has one or more defects on it.
So technically, ppm is the number of defective parts per million* and dpm is the number of defects per million parts. you can have more than 1 million dpm if you have more than 1 defect per part...but the max ppm is 1M...

dpmo is defects (not defective parts) per million opportunities fo rthe defect to occur. how the number of opportunities is caculated can be and is often hotly debated...think number of solder defects on a board with 1000 joints vs 10,000 joints. It's usefullness is somewhat restricted to direct comparisons of defect rates between two different products or processes that vary significantly in their complexity....

* ppm is also a chemical/medical/etc industry term meaning the ratio of some 'contaminant' or other element in a batch of other chemicals...slightly different meaning in that context.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L DPPM (Defective Parts Per Million) Reporting - Large Quantity Approach Benchmarking 8
M Metric/Way to show how Internal DPPM and External DPPM relate to each other Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
R DPPM? Scrap? Both? How to report Returns Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J How to measure process quality? Is DPPM the correct metric? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D DPPM - Calculating the Defect Rate of a Software Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C What is the appropriate DPPM for to be used In-Process Inspection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
Ajit Basrur Dashboard Software for representing Quality Metrics like DPPM, On Time Delivery, etc. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
V Calculation of Cable Assembly DPPM Customer Complaints 6
C Calculate DPPM/PPM for second yield rework Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
L Is there any place for sampling plan if customer requirement is 20 DPPM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Failures-in-time (FITs), DPPM and Probability Calculation Questions Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
B DPPM - 'Standard' minimum quantity to measure DPPM? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
A DPPM vs. PPM - What is its purpose and use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Ajit Basrur Trending segregated for cosmetic and functional dppm? Automotive requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Packaging Specification template and Reasonable dppm target for printed material? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Y Definition DPPM - Quality Indicator? Using DPPM instead of DPMO as our OQA quality indicator Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
K DPPM vs. AQL - What is the difference between DPPM and AQL? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
R MTBF to DPPM Calculation Based on the Unit's Typical Working Hours Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
G DPPM Industry Standard - Metal fabrication (Job shop) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
M Minitab assistant: 1-Sample % Defective Test Using Minitab Software 1
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Serialised Defective Part Replacement EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
S Falsified documentation and defective product - Management gone mad Internal Auditing 37
Stijloor Inmate-Produced Combat Helmets Found Defective Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
G Calculating the Fraction Defective Confidence Interval for a Lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Sampling Level for Defective Units with a confidence level of ~95% Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Atul Khandekar Upper Confidence Level (3 sigma) for Proportion Defective Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Procedure for Handling Customer Return Part (Defective Part Return) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M At what point should defective product be rejected? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Supplier Defective Product Return and Corrective Actions. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R How to determine LTPD (lot tolerance percent defective) or RQL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R LTPD (Lot Tolerance Percent Defective) Sampling Plan with %Defect Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S International Returns for Defective Materials Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
K Engineering Disposition on Defective Work Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
B Probability of finding a Defective Part - Probability question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S What is the proper flow to feedback the defective found during QA sampling check? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
O LTPD (Lot Tolerance Percent Defective) Formula for Calculator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
V AQL and small % defective AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
B Defective Product Cost - True Cost of Customer Rejects Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
0 Which sampling plan to use if 0.5% defective is known Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P ImR and P chart comparison on % defective data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
R Percent defective in Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C DPM (Defective per million) calculation Six Sigma 8
C Best Way to Measure Defective Area General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) - All returned/defective parts (plastic) are recycled Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
Q Is DPM defective parts per million a form of Attribute Data Sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Supplier Excuse: Sending Defective Unit to Catch Up Shipping Schedule Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
C Who is Responsible for Defective Goods Delivered by a Supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20