Dr. Wheeler's not using p-chart for countable events?

P

pagnonig

Hello,

I've recently read Dr. Wheeler excellent book "Understanding Variation".

In the book he widely uses the I-MR chart because, if my understanding is correct, despite the data distribution it works pretty well to separate noise from signals (I think this comes from the Tchebychev Inequality).

Of course this easy approach to data analysis makes SPC teaching and implementation very fast and straightforward.

But I have one concern. In the book he avoids using a p-chart in some situations where I'd surely use it.

For example: Number of on time deliveries/total deliveries per month

In my opinion this data is perfect for a p-chart with variable sample size (total deliveries per month).
But he says "The probability of a shipment being on time is not constant for all the shipments in any given month"so, the binomial probability model is inappropriate.:confused:

Well, I would chart this data with the same approach as if they were Number of NC items/total items per month, using a p-chart.

What do you think about Dr. Wheeler consideration about the binomial model?
To what extend do you agree with him?
Following his advice, would it make sense to chart the number of NC items/total items per month with a I-MR (even with a different number of total items per each month)?

Thank you for your views on this.
Giusepppe

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I think that on-time shipments would be very difficult to statistically analyze for improvement unless the company does its own deliveries.

I would still turn to the p-chart though, perhaps because I am not very sophisticated in statistical applications.

But I have one concern. In the book he avoids using a p-chart in some situations where I'd surely use it.
Dr Wheeler points out that p, np, c and u charts all depend on particular data distributions. He suggests that unless you have a PhD in statistics as he does, you should use XmR for count data. XmR does not depend on a data distribution.
Keep it simple!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Miner Intro to MSA of Continuous Data – Part 7: R&R using Wheeler’s Honest Gage Study Imported Legacy Blogs 17
Miner Dr. Wheeler's series on Data Snooping (aka Data Mining) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S GR&R by MSA Rules vs. Wheeler & Lyday's EMP Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler article: What About p-Charts? - When should we use the specialty charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Analysis of the figures from Dr Wheeler's 'Short Run SPC' Using Minitab Software 3
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler: Myths About Process Behavior Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
bobdoering Dr Wheeler gives his thoughts on "Estimating the Fraction Nonconforming" Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler is back with his thoughts on MSA and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Chennaiite Hero Honda No More - The Two-Wheeler Dominated Market World News 1
B Wheeler Honest Gauge R&R macro wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
R Is TS 16949 applicable to Two Wheeler manufacturing companies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Gage R&R - Wheeler's use of 0.675 x Sigma (equip. Var.) as the "Probable Error" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
bobdoering Dr Wheeler pokes at the Theorem of Large Numbers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering Quick Overview of SPC Scaling Factors from Wheeler Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
bobdoering Dr Wheeler weighs in on "Individual Charts Done Right and Wrong" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M An Honest Gauge R&R Analysis - Proposed usage of Donald Wheeler Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
bobdoering Wheeler is back again! He says it is the last volley! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
bobdoering Wheeler's back - Railing against Transformations Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler takes a shot at Normal-centrics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P A collection of Dr. Wheeler's Articles from SPC Toolkit column of Quality Digest Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Miner Don Wheeler article on MSA - Good Data, Bad Data and Process Behavior Charts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
S Can a "Two Wheeler" Manufacturer Supplier Register? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Using real time shelf life study as accelerated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Clinical Trial using Prototype devices (EU MDR & ISO 14155) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Using an online software to maintain your QMS Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
S Process Monitoring using SPC software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
R Using Scrapped NC items for training Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 15
M What is the Risk of Using Obsolete Versions of C=0 & ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 Sampling Plans? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
F Using non-randomized clinical study for change in existing 510(k) device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Using MD on a flight EU Medical Device Regulations 9
K Using Google Drive/Docs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J What risk to cover when NOT using ISO 17025 accredited/certified labs for calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Poisson regression using Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Using NICE for guidance during CER CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
T Using Review articles from Pubmed for CER CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
Tagin Using a meme generator to poke fun at quality Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
D Finding Optimum Design Parameters using Taguchi method? Using Minitab Software 2
V MSA - Using a R&R study for a Tape Measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
D Using electronic lab notebooks in the design control process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Using a Non Certified vendor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
H Using/Selling power banks with your product as a "mobile version" CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
cgaro62 Using internal audits as part of document reviews Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Using R package to implement Bayesian phase I/II dose-finding design for three outcomes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Defibrillator Protection applicability When using Multiple applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Using Zinc Plated Steel in a Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 3