Drawing Callout: "Holes must be in line" No Tolerance specified

J

jdm2008

As the title says. I have the following callout on a drawing: "Holes must be in line after welding". How far out of line should I allow these holes to be before rejecting them. My first thought is to simply use the tolerance of the diameter. Because holes are specified in line so a straight shaft can go through.
However I do not believe this standard is legitimitized by the print. Is this specification simply incomplete?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: "Holes must be in line" No Tolerance specified

As the title says. I have the following callout on a drawing: "Holes must be in line after welding". How far out of line should I allow these holes to be before rejecting them. My first thought is to simply use the tolerance of the diameter. Because holes are specified in line so a straight shaft can go through.
However I do not believe this standard is legitimitized by the print. Is this specification simply incomplete?
Without seeing the drawing, I'd say it's certainly incomplete. You would need to know two things: "In line" with what? and what constitutes "not in line." There might be other specifications that could guide you, such as the positions of the two holes on their respective pieces, and position specification for welding. If the holes are within tolerance position-wise on their respective piece parts, and the pieces are correctly aligned for welding, the holes should "line up."

In all cases, when drawing ambiguities exist, it's best to query the customer.

J

jdm2008

Without seeing the drawing, I'd say it's certainly incomplete. You would need to know two things: "In line" with what? and what constitutes "not in line." There might be other specifications that could guide you, such as the positions of the two holes on their respective pieces, and position specification for welding. If the holes are within tolerance position-wise on their respective piece parts, and the pieces are correctly aligned for welding, the holes should "line up."

In all cases, when drawing ambiguities exist, it's best to query the customer.
Here is the drawing. Unfortunately this is an old drawing from an in-house designer(94) and he's not around anymore.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Jim's advice holds true for most situations involving ambiguous or unclear drawings, instructions, or other requirements from a customer - clear these up as part of the Contract Review process, if possible, not once you have agreed to do something for a price.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Here is the drawing. Unfortunately this is an old drawing from an in-house designer(94) and he's not around anymore.
Not much help there, I'm afraid. If this is an in-house print, is there an engineer who "owns" it now? Is this something that has been made before?

J

jdm2008

It is currently being made and we are having several assembly and end use issues(including the holes among others), with the application. There is an owner, but for all practical purposes the owner will soon be me :D.
I am trying to determine the what specification the manufacturer(This part is sometimes made in house, sometimes sent out) is being held to, with regards to the hole, or whether he is not held to any spec because the drawing is icomplete.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
It is currently being made and we are having several assembly and end use issues(including the holes among others), with the application. There is an owner, but for all practical purposes the owner will soon be me :D.
I am trying to determine the what specification the manufacturer(This part is sometimes made in house, sometimes sent out) is being held to, with regards to the hole, or whether he is not held to any spec because the drawing is icomplete.
Sounds like a job for the Reverse Engineering Department. :D

Wes Bucey

I am trying to determine the what specification the manufacturer(This part is sometimes made in house, sometimes sent out) is being held to, with regards to the hole, or whether he is not held to any spec because the drawing is incomplete.
Rarely, but often enough that we formulated a process, we would encounter a customer who didn't have the details we craved. In which case, we resorted to "reverse engineering," concentrating on form, fit, and function of a product, especially related to its fit with mating parts.

My own mechanical engineering skills date back to compasses, T-squares, and straight edges, but certainly "someone" in the supply chain you deal with can supply answers about the fit and function of the product you are fabricating. With that information, an up-to-date mechanical engineer can help formulate the necessary tolerances for a successful product.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
...I am trying to determine the what specification the manufacturer(This part is sometimes made in house, sometimes sent out) is being held to, with regards to the hole, or whether he is not held to any spec because the drawing is icomplete.
You're probably already thinking this way, but just in case you're not...

Don't put all the focus on what spec was held before. As you stated above, there are some issues with was has been done.

Save some (most?) of the focus for what the part NEEDS in order to have the issues stop. If this is the last bit that should have been done years ago and wasn't...do it now. Then update the drawing.

Wes Bucey

You're probably already thinking this way, but just in case you're not...

Don't put all the focus on what spec was held before. As you stated above, there are some issues with was has been done.

Save some (most?) of the focus for what the part NEEDS in order to have the issues stop.
If this is the last bit that should have been done years ago and wasn't...do it now. Then update the drawing.
"needs" is exactly the issue! Thanks for simplifying the matter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Help with a Metric Drawing Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to interprete .600/.625 depth in the drawing callout ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
K Tolerances on Drawing Title Block Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
P Superiority of Drawing vs First Samples Customer Complaints 9
Q AS9102 Handwritten Revisions on Ballooned Drawing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 20
alonFAI Mechanical Drawing Version Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T AS9102 FAIR - Customer Drawing Revision Change AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D ISO 8062-3 Angle Tolerances - The drawing states ISO 8062-3 DCTG 11 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R FAI Prototype Drawing Revision Levels AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
D Drawing Revision Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Surface Profile of a Hole - The meaning of the tolerance in the provided drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Drawing a Normal Plot of the Effects for Multilevel Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 3
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
G Geometric Tolerance - Swedish Drawing which states that all tolerances are to NS 1430 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Determining Working Voltage - Drawing a Medical Device Insulation Diagram IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
QMMike Are Reference Dimensions denoted on a Drawing differently in China? APQP and PPAP 7
J GD&T - Concentricity Call Out on a Drawing --> .005 TIR Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
E PPAP PSW Approval: Customer Drawing or Supplier Drawing APQP and PPAP 4
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Drawing Review Records Required for every Drawing (Print)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5