Drawing Control - Bill of materials as our master list?

J

JSmith

Drawing Control

I have a question regarding drawing control. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have been recently asked to compile a master list of our released engineering drawings. Right now we have about 25 different programs and probably over 200 released drawings (these include assemblies and components). I was wondering if it would be sufficient to state in our procedures that we refer to the bill of materials as our master list for engineering drawings? My reasoning behind this is: instead of listing those 200 drawings, I could list each bill of material and its revision level. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

A master list is not required, but if not in place a strong procedure noting how you ensure that only the current revision level of the drawing is available needs to be in place.

Just my opinion, but with the software avaiable today, a master list is easy to keep up and is an easy reference to use during internal and external audits.

"Access" is an easy program to use for this and, if you like, I could email you a sample document control database.

ASD...

------------------
Al Dyer
Mngt. Rep.
[email protected]

R

Rick Goodson

During a recent assessment audit we made a very good case that the actual file directory in word is the 'master list' for the documents. Revisions level - the file date. No additonal list was required. Note however that this is a paperless system with any printed document controlled only for the day it was printed.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
> During a recent assessment audit we made a very good case that the actual file
> directory in word is the 'master list' for the documents. Revisions level -
> the file date.

I have done the same with several clients. This is KISS

The only thing that I have seen screw this up is using the file date as the revision date. This due to the way Word can cause this date to increment when a file is opened yet not changed. I also prefer 'hard coded' revision dates within each document. I am also not a proponent of using auto-enter field for the revision date within the document.

A

Al Dyer

Dawn,

I just sent you a copy, no cost, just your continued contribution to the site.

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
D Drawing Revision Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Control of Drawing (Print) Revisions Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
A Tool Modification Drawing Change Control and Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Understanding True position - Drawing Feature Control Frames - ANSI Y14.5 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K AS9100 Drawing Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G Drawing Control Procedure on Road Construction Project Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Source Control Drawing vs. Part Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Drawing CUSUM Control Charts - Need a simple step by step example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M Control Plan Requirements - Should I identify all the individual drawing dimensions? FMEA and Control Plans 6
K Running Change Drawing Control - Timing aspect of the release of these documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Drawing Title Blocks - Control / Number them? Engineering Drawing Practices Y14.100M Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
A Document/Drawing Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D ISO 9001: Drawing/Print Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Tooling management - Drawing change control for tool and die drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Data/Drawing Control - All documents controlled on a head-office server? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
K Tolerances on Drawing Title Block Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Help with a Metric Drawing Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3