Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device)

Swimming In The Soup

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,

I have been using this board as a resource for a while but this is my first question posed.

I am trying to bring a Class II Medical Device to a 510(k). I asked for the bill of materials and the drawings to create a matrix tracing the BOM to the drawings.
The BOM is filled with part numbers from distributors of catalog items. The drawings I received were closer to assembly drawings but did not include any of the catalog items. A previous company I worked for created drawings down to the screws and such by placing the catalog info on the drawing. The incoming verification was for part number only. I can't find any regulatory advice with my own search so I would like the advice of industry experts.

Do items listed by catalog number need to have a drawing and what information should be captured?

These items include items like pumps and catalytic converters as well as screws, nuts, and bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Sec. 820.50 Purchasing controls.
Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain procedures to ensure that all purchased or otherwise received product and services conform to specified requirements.
(a) .... Each manufacturer shall:
(1) ....
(2) Define the type and extent of control to be exercised over the product, services, suppliers, contractors, and consultants, based on the evaluation results.
(3) ....
(b) Purchasing data. Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain data that clearly describe or reference the specified requirements, including quality requirements, for purchased or otherwise received product and services. ....Purchasing data shall be approved in accordance with § 820.40.

There is no requirement that there be a drawing for off-the-shelf components. Requirements for the purchased item are typically based on the associated risk.

Swimming In The Soup

Starting to get Involved
It's (3)(b) that I am struggling with. The risk is significant for the pumps and other critical items. Even the safety monitoring equipment is off the shelf. Thanks for the input.

Options for ensuring your purchased item is compliant to requirements:
  • Review supplier test data for the item purchased
  • Perform incoming inspection of component/assembly - can be a functional assessment
  • Audit the supplier
  • Have a change agreement with the supplier that requires approval and verification of changes prior to implementation

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
K AS9100 Drawing Control Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Using Inspection Instructions to Modify Drawing Requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
M Control Plan Requirements - Should I identify all the individual drawing dimensions? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Customer Requirements - Request customer change their drawing to match the dimension ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D ISO 9001: Drawing/Print Control Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Customer Dimensions on Internal Drawing, all of them? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
8 Drawing Feature Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
H Prodigit DC Electronic Load - Drawing current but showed 0 on the screeen Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Drawing Example Request: Inspection Section Plane of Aluminum Casting Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T CSE 5.01 reference on drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
K Tolerances on Drawing Title Block Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Help with a Metric Drawing Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to interprete .600/.625 depth in the drawing callout ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Superiority of Drawing vs First Samples Customer Complaints 9
Q AS9102 Handwritten Revisions on Ballooned Drawing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
alonFAI Mechanical Drawing Version Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
T AS9102 FAIR - Customer Drawing Revision Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D ISO 8062-3 Angle Tolerances - The drawing states ISO 8062-3 DCTG 11 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1