Drawing Revision History Question... Signature on EO or ECO

J

JkelleyCDS

All of my companies' internal documents contain the revision history in the form of a header. For some reason when an EO or ECO is issued, the drawing is released without a signature next to the new revision/ ECO. I have heard the argument, "Well look at the ECO, it's signed, reviewed, etc." For me, all documents should be signed and shown as reviewed including the ECO and drawing. Am I incorrect? My company is not ISO certified and our policies/procedures do not indicate any signatures, just review. See my example attached. Thanks!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Drawing Revision History Question...

All of my companies' internal documents contain the revision history in the form of a header. For some reason when an EO or ECO is issued, the drawing is released without a signature next to the new revision/ ECO. I have heard the argument, "Well look at the ECO, it's signed, reviewed, etc." For me, all documents should be signed and shown as reviewed including the ECO and drawing. Am I incorrect? My company is not ISO certified and our policies/procedures do not indicate any signatures, just review. See my example attached. Thanks!
There's not much point in having the fields for date and approver if they're not used. It makes it appear that required information is missing. I would say either populate those fields (with date and name or initials of the approver) or get rid of them. So long as the ECO number is there, you have what you need, unless you think it's helpful to identify the approver on the drawing.

T

Ted Schmitt

Just for us uninformed folks, what´s EO and ECO ? :confused:

J

JkelleyCDS

Just for us uninformed folks, what´s EO and ECO ? :confused:
Sorry for the ambiguity, but (EO) Engineering Order is the initial release document review and distribution where as (ECO) Engineering Change Order is a change (Revision) to the initial release. Hope that makes better sense.

T

Ted Schmitt

Sorry for the ambiguity, but (EO) Engineering Order is the initial release document review and distribution where as (ECO) Engineering Change Order is a change (Revision) to the initial release. Hope that makes better sense.
Yes, that does make my understanding easier...

Here (machine shop with about 130 employees), we sign them both... on the drawings we also include the reason of the revision (it´s usually a change of measurement or something simple to describe).

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator

We don't sign drawings. Drawings are electronic.
Approval signatures are traceable to the ECO.

I would get rid of the approval on the drawing rev block.

BUT - have a system in place for documenting whether a paper copy of a drawing is controlled or uncontrolled.

J

JkelleyCDS

ScottK, you are always the man in my book since I joined Elsmar. Thanks for the help!

M

meversole

There's not much point in having the fields for date and approver if they're not used. It makes it appear that required information is missing. I would say either populate those fields (with date and name or initials of the approver) or get rid of them. So long as the ECO number is there, you have what you need, unless you think it's helpful to identify the approver on the drawing.
Hello-I'm a Cove newbie! I've been reading some posts about drawing revs and document control. I have a question about a statement made in this post ("so long as the ECO number is there..."). Is it a requirement or industry standard to list the ECO number on the drawing?

Thank you!

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Hello-I'm a Cove newbie! I've been reading some posts about drawing revs and document control. I have a question about a statement made in this post ("so long as the ECO number is there..."). Is it a requirement or industry standard to list the ECO number on the drawing?

Thank you!
Added in edit: Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:
I don't know about requirements and industry standards, but I do know that it's common practice. There should be some way to get from the drawing to its release and change documentation. In some systems it might be as simple as looking in a file under the part number (thus obviating the need for an ECO identification on the drawing), but those are pretty rare, I think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Print (Drawing) Document Revision History Identification Indicators Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Is there a specification that provides directions on Drawing Revision Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T AS9102 FAIR - Customer Drawing Revision Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R FAI Prototype Drawing Revision Levels AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Drawing Revision Control Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T How to preventing the drawing revision not being up to date Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
A Technical Documentation Records - Customer drawing, Revision Level, PPAP, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T CSE 5.01 reference on drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
2 GDT of datums - Putting Datum C on a drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Manufacturing without a Formal Drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D GD&T Drawing Question - I have a drawing and it makes no sense to me whatsoever Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
Prashant G AS9100 Requirement - Verification of characteristics results with drawing requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Drawing (print) does not specify restrained or free state Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Best Practice for setting tolerances on a Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M PCBA Drawing Best Practices IPC Class 3 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Decimal places on Drawing (Print) Callouts Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
I Engineering Drawing = Record or Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Location Interpretation on Drawing - Hole to Hole? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
I Delta FAIR due to a Drawing Change AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Drawing Callout - Arrow pointing to an inner edge where there is a radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M What is 'Loft' which is used in Boeing company to express 1/1 scale 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
V Dimension marked with "frame" on 2D drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A Measurement of a Radius on Drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
K Accounting for Drawing Notes in PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L How to document use of wrong engineering drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
K Tolerances on Drawing Title Block Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M 4 Datums Referenced in a Print (Drawing) Feature Control Frame Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Help with a Metric Drawing Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to interprete .600/.625 depth in the drawing callout ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Superiority of Drawing vs First Samples Customer Complaints 9
Q AS9102 Handwritten Revisions on Ballooned Drawing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
alonFAI Mechanical Drawing Version Change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D ISO 8062-3 Angle Tolerances - The drawing states ISO 8062-3 DCTG 11 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Surface Profile of a Hole - The meaning of the tolerance in the provided drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Drawing a Normal Plot of the Effects for Multilevel Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 3
J Print (Drawing) Bubble Techniques Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 45
J Drawing Callout: "Holes must be in line" No Tolerance specified Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12