Drawings - Design Rules

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
We design and manufacture product that we sell to several different companies.
We out source wire harnesses and other products.

Wire harnesses have wire colors listed on our drawing, this helps with following wires to the correct pinouts. Insuring that the wires are attached correctly.

Here is my concern or opportunity for improvement
Someone has allowed each suppler to make their own drawing using their own wire color scheme with the same part number. This is very confusing.
Suppler 1 drawing part number XXX-CCC-BBB same as ours) calls out orange in pinout 1, blue in pinout 2, grey in pinout 3, black in pinout 4, all 4 wires are to be wrapped in grey
Supplier 2 drawing part number XXX-CCC-BBB (same as ours) calls out Red in pinout 1, Green in pinout 2, Blue in pinout 3, black in pinout 4, all 4 wires are to be wrapped in Black

In other manufacturing companies I have worked for in the past the process is as follows:
We make a drawing
That drawing is sent to suppliers for quotes
The suppliers say yes I can make this part or no I cannot make the part to the drawing,
Supplier contacts Lithionics and says Lithionics I can make this harness however my wire colors are different, can you accept this?
We get together as a team and agree or disagree with the supplier
If we agree that the supplier should fill out a Deviation for a short term fix or ECN – Long term fix.
ECN long term fix - Engineering Drawings will be updated to include their wire color scheme.
One drawing and everyone is on the same page.

Thoughts?
Are there rules, documentation, specifications that I am not aware of?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The "rule" is that the supplier is obligated to make the harnesses in accordance with drawing requirements or, as you suggest, ask for a concession. The standard is MIL-T-FDS, which stands for Make It Like-The-F****** Drawing Says.

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
The "rule" is that the supplier is obligated to make the harnesses in accordance with drawing requirements or, as you suggest, ask for a concession. The standard is MIL-T-FDS, which stands for Make It Like-The-F****** Drawing Says.
Thank you - however I am dealing with engineers and need correct and documented information to prove my point, not made up standards.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Requiring suppliers to meet drawing requirements is a legal issue. Presumably you have purchase orders that direct the supplier to provide harnesses made to a specific revision of a specific drawing. The purchase order is a contract. What is the basis for disagreement?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Some things are so blatantly obvious that there is no need for a standard. If these suppliers had to PPAP to your drawings, they would be rejected for not building product that matches the engineering drawing. The drawing is the standard.

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
I'm not sure what you're looking for. Requiring suppliers to meet drawing requirements is a legal issue. Presumably you have purchase orders that direct the supplier to provide harnesses made to a specific revision of a specific drawing. The purchase order is a contract. What is the basis for disagreement?
The engineering department believes its ok that the suppler make there own drawings and that its ok to allow them the change colors as needed. This in turns gives us several suppliers all making the same part, all with the same part number using many different colors of wires or whatever the difference is from one supplier to the next supplier.

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
Some things are so blatantly obvious that there is no need for a standard. If these suppliers had to PPAP to your drawings, they would be rejected for not building product that matches the engineering drawing. The drawing is the standard.
I agree, I believe we should have 1 drawing and everyone works off that drawing, if the drawing needs to be changed to add another color or another suppler you add it to the existing drawing. Not allow every supplier to make there own.
If I can get them to comply with completing an FAI they will also use their drawing. to get a supplier to complete a PPAP here is rediculas one told purchasing they require 5K. I have never charged anyone for PPAP's or FAI's.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I'm amazed. I've worked with electronic assemblies and outsourced wiring harnesses and I can't remember an instance where a supplier took it upon himself to change the colors. What justification do your suppliers offer for doing it?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I agree, I believe we should have 1 drawing and everyone works off that drawing, if the drawing needs to be changed to add another color or another suppler you add it to the existing drawing. Not allow every supplier to make there own.
If I can get them to comply with completing an FAI they will also use their drawing. to get a supplier to complete a PPAP here is rediculas one told purchasing they require 5K. I have never charged anyone for PPAP's or FAI's.
I see no problem, in general, with suppliers making their own shop drawings, for whatever reason(s) they think it might be helpful. That doesn't alter the fact that your drawing is always the master, and any PPAP or FAI submissions should always be based on it.

BarbaraS

Starting to get Involved
I'm amazed. I've worked with electronic assemblies and outsources wiring harnesses and I can't remember an instance where a supplier took it upon himself to change the colors. What justification do your suppliers offer for doing it?
The engineer on this program said this to me

You are making good points, but you are not considering reality of today’s material supply market.

We must have multiple suppliers, but those suppliers have access to different materials, and we can’t always enforce things like wire colors or shrink wrap colors, which are not functionally important.

If we start doing this, we will face additional shortages, lead times and costs. We don’t need this.

This is why I was always against stating colors in any drawings, especially in multi-wire cables, where wires are hidden inside the jacket for most of the run.

Only one thing is important in the wire harness as far as I’m concerned, it must have correct connections.

An exception can be for unterminated and individual wires, like AGSR and FCC connections, where customer can mix them up if they can’t be color coded.

But for multi-wire cables, shrink wraps around resistors, and other similar situations, enforcing colors is counterproductive.

Instead, we need to make drawings which allow for variations, so we can pass inspections despite those variations.

I’m sure you can develop a process which works with such variations in a single part number, while still being efficient and not confusing.

If you agree, then engineering needs to update drawings to include allowed color variations or remove checks for colors completely, unless explicitly stated.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Design History File - Not ready to share the design drawings or Bill of Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Is it okay to store the design files (device drawings) at contract manufacturer location? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B How do design drawings affect QMS ? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
G First Articles - Design only? Our product is Drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
B "Shop Floor" Drawings vs. Design Drawings - First Article and In-Process Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
S Design Exclusion - Drawings with Material Specifications from Outside Source AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 38
D What standards apply to engineering design and drawings? Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
A Personal control of design drawings/documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D 4.2.4.6 - Computer-aided design - Cad-type program for tooling drawings? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
J Superseded Specs and old drawings Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 19
V Ballooning drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Weld Symbol--Bubble Drawings for FAI Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
N Non traumatic edge - Remark in some of my company drawings EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Interesting Discussion Curious old drawings about electrical shock and safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B AS9102 FAI & Lower Level Drawings - How should we perform the FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S Graphic Overlay/Membrane Switch Drawings Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
pbojsen Supplier drawings used for purchase orders Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N DFMEA, Drawings and PFMEA of an Assembly Process FMEA and Control Plans 12
S IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.3.3 - Documentation of all Special Characteristics in Drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Converting Manufacturing Drawings from a Contract Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R AS9102 - Are FAIs against a Customer Red-Lined Drawings Allowed? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M McDonnell Douglas Specification Control Drawings Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
R AS9102 FAI with No Drawings Supplied AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Drawings from Client - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 4.2.3 or 7.5.4? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L How do you manage your Inspection Drawings? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Implementation of Customer Requirements in Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P CMM measurement using 2D drawings Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
I NCR for Customer not updating their drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Creation of CAD solid models using customers supplied drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
F Marking Requirements on Drawings (Prints) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Inspection Requirements & Engineering Drawings - Measuring Shaft Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
I Drawing standard (VDA) - Drawings in 3 different status VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
D Should Customer Drawings be controlled per AS9100 QMS ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Engineering Drawings - Once a customer has signed off on an engineering drawing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Product Registration - Assembly Drawings Japan Medical Device Regulations 7
M Computer System for Inspection Balloons in Technical Drawings Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Best Engineering Practices related to Top Assembly Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
B Shop Drawings that Integrate Information from a Database Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Inspection Software to Balloon Drawings and Create First Article Reports Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Supplier Quality with Prototyping Parts with no Part Number or Drawings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Delta FAIs on essentially unchanged drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Z DPMO? Metrics for Engineering Drawings Six Sigma 1
J Thousands of Outdated Drawings/Prints - Help! Manufacturing and Related Processes 3