Dress Code where you work

E

energy

As one who has been in this field way too long, I have worked where there was a strict dress code-with "summer attire" rules and other places where a "t" shirt and jeans and sneakers were acceptable. My question is this: Do you think dressing "up" makes anybody work better? Is it for your performance or does it allow you to get more respect from your subordinates? I'm sure that there are a lot of "tie" wearers in the Cove. Besides being considered normal attire for office workers, I'm curious about the motive. Any knowledge out there regarding the origin or intent? Incidentally, we have a relaxed dress code here, but when visitors show up, you have "sport casual" as a minimum. And, why's that? Is it all perception? Of what? Does it help the Quality of the product? :confused: :smokin:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
The tie thing is a carry-over of the neckerchief (spelling may be off). The neckerchief originated in France during the late middle ages and was used as a repository for perfumes to disguise the smell and to keep the smell away of unwashed bodies.

Mid-19th century Europe adapted the tie as a re-finement and it was established (especially in Victorian England)to be un-businesslike and low class not to wear one. America followed suit (no pun intended).

In the late 60's remember, a tie identified one as being part of the "establishment" so business casual evolved.

The wearing of a tie today is strictly (as far as I'm concerned)a matter of perception. "If its gotta a tie on, it must be a professional under it". Also ties have become a symbol of power, position and status in many organizations as well as to the public in general. "If he wears a tie to work he has to be important".

It kind of follows along the lines of a marketing strategy. "Put the product in a fancy wrapper, regardless of its contents, and some fool will buy it".:bigwave:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
From the viewpoint of a long-time plant person who only recently got an official office in the office....

Super dressy offices seem to put up perceived barriers between departments.
Casual but professional seem to pull the barriers down, aid in allowing interaction between the "us and them"
Super casual starts to lose professionalism and respect.

Me, the closest I've been to a "tie" is how I fasten my earplugs to my hardhat, and dress shoes is when I get to wear my steel toed boots that don't have the external metatarsal guards.:biglaugh: Honestly, I have a lot more respect for the condition the clothing is in (clean and well-kept) than how much it cost, and whether or not the wearer is willing to jump in and do what needs to be done without worrying about a $1500 dollar suit.

Interesting topic.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You should have done a poll!

My vote is Perception. Get your Sunday Suit on son! :thedeal:

E

energy

Authority Figure?

Randy,

Nice tie history.:biglaugh: I've seen them with big mustard stains and dried beans on them.

SteelMaiden..Us and them? Barriers? Hmmmmm! I've noticed that. When I was "wearing", I was called Sir and Mr. When I wore my jeans and sneakers and visited a Supplier, they looked all around the reception area looking for the "Customer". When they saw just me, they looked beyond me to see if this "important" person may be hiding.

That's why I posted this topic. I've always have a problem with "suits". It's the PERSON in the suit that I'm talking to.

Sometimes the absence of a suit by one of the parties leads to an immediate assumption that the person sans the suit is somehow inferior and subject to some disdain!:ko:

Recently, my attire concerned a V.P. (sneakers and jeans) who was expecting a big potential customer. Being a team player, I drove the 22 miles home to fetch my big Jim Biz Horse Tie.. with the studded sequins on the horseshoe around his neck. Just kidding. The gentlemen showed up wearing jeans and sneakers. They were from a Powerplant Operation. So we all sat there spiffied up like clowns. The CEO apologized to the Customer for making everybody overdress. All this crap over clothes. It has nothing to do with what they wanted and what we were going to provide. It's just a shame that we have been conditioned to relate a tie and/or jacket to importance.

Steel, Dale Evans wore a tie!:biglaugh: :smokin:

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
my thoughts

When I am visited by a sales rep or suppliers rep, image means a lot to me. If he/she took the time to put on a dress/suit & tie, I "feel" important to them. It is all part of an image to creat a relationship. That is how business is done. When a rep comes in with a t-shirt and jeans, well I know his/her priorities are NOT my needs. All about image, folks!

CarolX

J

Jim Biz

Good subject Bill:

My vote is Level of dress matters in the area of - "Respect"

Not from the attitude that you want to get respect from a contact - but from the viewpoint of "if I go to the trouble to dress up for you" that means I do in fact have a certain amount of respect for who you are and your abilities.

The Red Power Tie & Blue Suit is the uppermost level of respect - a clean "Sport casual" attire in todays context Yes - I have a medium to high level amount of respect for the people I deal with. Shorts/ gymshoes/tee shirts with logo's all over them - I don't respect myself or anyone that I come in contact with.

(As a side note - My favorite "horse tie" is not a tie at all but a solid gold tie-tack that is in the shape of a horses behind (tail included) - small enough that a person really hasta look close to recognize what it is)

E

energy

Re: my thoughts

Originally posted by CarolX
When a rep comes in with a t-shirt and jeans, well I know his/her priorities are NOT my needs. All about image, folks!
CarolX
Hi Carol,

Customers wear what they want.:biglaugh: It only matters if you're in the Driver's seat. Would you think less of a Customer who poo poo'd wearing formal attire? Maybe so, but it wouldn't affect your doing business with THEM!:smokin:

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
absolutely not

Bill,

Remember, the customer is ALWAYS right (at least when you are face to face with them...LOL).

I think Jim summed up what I was trying to say...it is about respect.

Just my $.05 worth!!!

CarolX

E

energy

I guess so

Jim Carol (and the others). I do like the respect thing. Well put. Like Marc said, I'll just have to "Put on your Sunday Suit, Mutton Head!" (or something like that) :biglaugh:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Office Dress Code Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 82
Ajit Basrur Dress Code in ISO Class 8 - Plastic Parts for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D FAA 8130-3 Repaired Leather Dress Cover problem Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
C How should Quality Professionals dress? Career and Occupation Discussions 78
Z Labeler Code - Private labelling for OTC (Over the Counter) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D GMDN code update - Canada - Do you know if there is guidance? Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Marc Medical device vulnerability highlights problem of third-party code in IoT devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K REF symbol with product code in the IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
DitchDigger Boston Fire Code: Who Does What? (CAL TB 117-2013; CAL TB 133) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
John Broomfield Informational Chartered Institute of Building - Code on Quality Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
K REF code and Consult IFU in Shipping carton boxes. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S GMDN Code for Chitosan Products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K FDA Lot Code format requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M How to Select FDA Medical Device Product Code? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
L GMDN code wanted - Software for handling records Service Industry Specific Topics 9
R How to find out the UMDNS code for medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Informational Apple Tells App Developers To Disclose Or Remove Screen Recording Code World News 0
S Is Software code documentation required for FDA premarket submissions? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
C QR Code on Medical Device Packaging and Notification to Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
L GMDN code differences, Manufacturer and Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Edward Reesor Exporting from China - Unified Social Credit Code ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H FDA product code and regulation number Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Statutory/Regulatory for NACE Code 25.9 (Manufacture of fabricated metal products) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Marc 2017 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code W56.22XA - Struck by orca Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc IAQG-OASIS - 9101:2016 Form 4: Cause Code Listing Now Included in Form AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W CPU BIST IEC 62304 - Embedded code has CPU instruction tests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
S What is the IAF code for Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
K Colour Code Requirements for Waste Bins/Bags Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
N Neutral Code Requirement - Medical Devices Outsourced from India ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Is the Labour Code one of the legal requirements of ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Jen Kirley How to evaluate hazards in using bar code scanners in chemical manufacturing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Canada preferred Name Code (PNC) Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
S ISO 9001 and a safety management system based to ISM code ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Where to find the UMDNS code for CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
somashekar Do NB's want the Declaration of Conformity with GMDN code? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Wes Bucey Code of Federal Regulations Electronic Copy Searchable Database Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
T What is the correct UMDNS Code for Tracheostomy Tube? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Disposable Loop Electrode - GMDN/or UMDNS code? Imported Legacy Blogs 3
K Coding Standard vs Coding Guidelines vs Code Review Checklist Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M Help with HTS Tariff code for NAFTA certificate Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
A Coke Reactivity Index (CRI) Testing Code Interpretation: ASTM D5341-99 (2004) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
P Classification of Medical Device with Sub Code Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Description for GMDN Code wanted Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
K ASME BPVC (Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code) Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Boeing D1-4426 Code 001 - Supplier Compliance to Exhibit III AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0