Driving CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Performance down the Supply Chain

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
We are a leading OEM supplier, and on the behest of our customer we have done our bit to align with the Electronic Industry code of conduct (EICC) as a part of supplier sustainability drive.
see here about EICC
One of the requirement in the code is to get the next tier suppliers to acknowledge and implement the code.
Can some experts share ideas how we can get the next tier suppliers willingly take and adopt this drive ~~~

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Driving CSR Performance down the Supply Chain

We are a leading OEM supplier, and on the behest of our customer we have done our bit to align with the Electronic Industry code of conduct (EICC) as a part of supplier sustainability drive.
see here about EICC
One of the requirement in the code is to get the next tier suppliers to acknowledge and implement the code.
Can some experts share ideas how we can get the next tier suppliers willingly take and adopt this drive ~~~
Suggestions anyone?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Adopting CSR in emerging economies like China and India could be challenging !

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

see here about EICC
First, I was thrown by the "CSR" in the thread title. I see the automotive Customer-Specific Requirements when I see "CSR," but I think you're referring to Corporate Social Responsibility, no?

You're a supplier to a major OEM, and you've adopted this code at their "behest," which I take to mean "demand." Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, you should first try to reason with your suppliers, explaining the merits, and if that doesn't work, you should issue a "behest" as your customer did with you.

ETA: I see that a tag has been applied to this thread which indicates that "CSR" stands for "customer specific requirements" so I wasn't alone in my misapprehension.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

First, I was thrown by the "CSR" in the thread title. I see the automotive Customer-Specific Requirements when I see "CSR," but I think you're referring to Corporate Social Responsibility, no?

You're a supplier to a major OEM, and you've adopted this code at their "behest," which I take to mean "demand." Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, you should first try to reason with your suppliers, explaining the merits, and if that doesn't work, you should issue a "behest" as your customer did with you.

ETA: I see that a tag has been applied to this thread which indicates that "CSR" stands for "customer specific requirements" so I wasn't alone in my misapprehension.
Yes Jim, its the corporate social responsibility. I have corrected the opening post subject line.
and Yes again. Here behest = DEMAND
But then the customer patronize the EICC and the code, and subject us to the 3rd party audit for which we have agreed vide a sustainability agreement which is again a basis for our continued business relationship. This 3rd party audit us and find that we have not done anything about driving the next tier suppliers to acknowledge and implement the code, and gives a finding to be corrected. Now the customer follows up for a timely action with us on this finding.
And think about it .... we even ended up paying for this audit to the 3rd party.
I have done the same 'behest' with some key suppliers and then its again open, as I have no idea how he will take it. No response or word of commitment I get back.
In the shadow of it being said as voluntary it seems to be pushed down upon us. If I ask more from my supplier for the same cost of parts supplied, he will tell me to take a hop...
So how does one work around this pseudo voluntary sustainability ~~~

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

So how does one work around this pseudo voluntary sustainability ~~~
I suspect that one of the first things you must do is to ask the (seemingly) resisting suppliers to explain what in The Code makes them concerned. It is totally possible that the suppliers see such requests as an additional cost without any potential gain for them. How exactly are you flowing it down? Have you tried to educate the suppliers on the potential benefits of complying with The Code? Many times the customer must clearly go through the risk/reward analysis with the suppliers so they understand the WIIIFM factor.

Furthermore, you said that you had to engage with a third-party (at your expense) to be assessed against The Code. So, the third-parties benefit financially from the assessments. Make them help you educating the suppliers. After all, this would be a great marketing opportunity for them. Why would you have to do all the work of "converting the skeptical" if others will financially benefit from it?

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

I suspect that one of the first things you must do is to ask the (seemingly) resisting suppliers to explain what in The Code makes them concerned. It is totally possible that the suppliers see such requests as an additional cost without any potential gain for them. How exactly are you flowing it down? Have you tried to educate the suppliers on the potential benefits of complying with The Code? Many times the customer must clearly go through the risk/reward analysis with the suppliers so they understand the WIIIFM factor.

Furthermore, you said that you had to engage with a third-party (at your expense) to be assessed against The Code. So, the third-parties benefit financially from the assessments. Make them help you educating the suppliers. After all, this would be a great marketing opportunity for them. Why would you have to do all the work of "converting the skeptical" if others will financially benefit from it?

Just some thoughts.
While the agreement to be audited per the code is signed by us with the customer, the selection of the 3rd party is the customer's choice, and we paying for the audit is out of the agreement context. Our payment has been in protest. With the experience I had with the 3rd party auditor's, given my choice, I will not let them enter our premises again. The third party audit body and customer have global agreements to support each other. We have nothing with them and would not recommend them to anyone from what we know after our interactions.
I have taken your line in explaining this code to suppliers and opening up a dialogue with them to see and assess how much that are already aligned, and what they could plan around this going ahead. Hope it works.

Dear Somashekar,

I have experience of implementing and assessing EICC code in India, China and quite a few south east Asian countries. In each country we have certain issues which are understood by organizations as normal but do not meet the EICC code. If you are specifically interested in suppliers in India, first and foremost issues is "compliance" with environmental, labour (including child labour), health and Safety legislation. Other major issue is bribery and corruption (another issue, which you may come across rarely is the intellectual property rights). If your suppliers are large corporations, I do not know if they would like themselves to be subjected to EICC assessment unless you have a substantial business with them; even then I am doubtful if they would agree for an assessment. With the small scale industry you will have issues which are difficult, under the Indian conditions, to be solved. I suppose that you are not a signatory to EICC and that your customer is asking for the second tier supplier to meet EICC code. In that case it is better to define the scope (in your agreement with your customer) and restrict the EICC assessment to those suppliers on whom you have control and whom you can influence.

As for the preparedness, both your organization as well as the supplier organization have to be prepared for an assessment. This includes training, gap assessment, handholding, mock assessments and final assessment. It is also better to have a framework checklist for carrying out assessments; otherwise there is a possibility of subjectivity coming in.

I would be happy to assist you in case you have specific issues.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Somashekar,

Just thought of sharing my experience on the subject.
We, as a Auto OEM, conduct Sustainability Development Evaluation for all our Suppliers using a checklist of our own. End of it, we provide a Rank that would indicate the performance of a supplier in terms of Social Responsibility. We would not disturb the Suppliers who end up within Top 2 Ranks. For the third ranked suppliers we ask for the action plan and would conduct re-evaluation at appropriate stage. For the poorly ranked suppliers, we recommend third-party audit, of which the cost of their first visit will be borne by us (Customer). The Supplier bears the cost of subsequent visits, if any. This requirement of us is made explicitly in our RFQ (Request for Quotation) which is supposed to be taken into account by the Suppliers when they reply RFQ.

Most importantly, we make it clear with the Suppliers that, their failing to meet the Sustainability requirements will in no way harm the Business relationship between the two parties. The idea is not to strangulate the Suppliers, but to bring a positive change for the Society, however small it is, using our stature as a Customer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek Auditor driving us nuts - ESD requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
L Health Canada email re fee proposals sent to group - driving me mad! Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
Marc DOD, DHS and NASA Are Driving Adoption of Internet of Things Sensors IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Hershal Road construction frustration while driving Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
AnaMariaVR2 What?s Driving China?s Biopharmaceutical Boom? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
V Which improvement tool/approach do you adopt for driving Continuous Improvement? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
V Driving Objectivity of Review Mechanism during Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
ScottK Expressway Driving - Which driver is the bigger danger? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
Ajit Basrur Driving License for Forklift operators Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Effective tools for driving decison making down in the organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Cell phones while driving? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 51
H Driving and Restraining Forces of Lean Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
Claes Gefvenberg So how are your driving skills? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
Marc Autonomous driving robot to compete in the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge Race World News 1
A Special Characteristic question from Automotive CSR Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
F Applicability of CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M PSA Suppliers - CSR matrix and need the quality manual of PSA APQP and PPAP 6
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Interesting article form the UNIDO Magazine - CSR: a wolf in sheep’s clothing? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 18
B IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - CSR vs Commercial Agreements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
H IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Audit System / CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Communication of CSR's throughout the organization and who they apply to IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C IATF 16949:2016 New CSR (CQI´s) - Share your experience IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R IATF requirement of Documented QMM incorporation of CSR's into the processes? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Second Party Audit - GM IATF 16949 CSR September 2017 General Auditing Discussions 0
A CSR - How do you share them within your organization? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
S Are there Mitsubishi CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
P Nissan CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) as of 2014 - ANPQP Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Ford Motor Company new CSR document - May 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Stijloor Ford - June 2013 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
S Do CSR's (Customer Specific Requirements) apply from the customer of your customer? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P Renault CSR - Identifying the difference between an ASES and ASAS-P Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Help with Master Thesis focusing on ISO/TS 16949 and CSR in automotive SC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P Revised Fiat CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
T CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) Audit Check List Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
P CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) in TS 16949 Audits - Always required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 27
M Are OEM requirements (CSR) applicable to Tier 2 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P New Renault CSR just published on the IATF Global Oversight webpage Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
S Chrysler CSR for use with PPAP 4th ed July 2011 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) linkage to IQA process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Supplier Special Process System Assessments - CSR Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
P New Fiat CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - 26 October 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 14
P New GM CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) - October 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2