Dual Role - Quality and Production

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I am the Quality Manager for a small manufacturing company in the Eastern US. Our Quality system is ISO9001-1994 compliant but we are not registered (maybe someday). Due to current economic conditions and a few other issues we face, I may in the near future be asked to shoulder some Prodution responsibilities -- possibly even be Production Manager - in addition to Quality Manager. Of course, this immediately brings to mind the visions of the fox guarding the hen house. I have been in Quality for over 10 years and I am confident in my own ability to be objective in my quality responsibilities despite any production responsibilities, but I wonder how this might look to outsiders and, especially our current and potential customers. Long-time customers know and trust me, but...

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or any comments or insight that may be of help to me should this situation arise? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
shouldn't be an issue

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the Cove!!

I really don't see a problem with this, especially if the company is focused properly on satifying the customer. Very often in small manufacturing companies, people have to wear multiple hats. I work for a small job shop and when I started at this company, we were about half the size we are now. I reported to the production manager and was a lowly (translate - only) inspector. Growth has mandated a little more formalized structure here, but not by much. In my situation I was never forced to accept defective product. Anytime I questioned a concern over a part, and the production manager felt it was not an issue, he would say "Let me sign it off, I'll take the heat if I am wrong". I can't even remeber a case where he was wrong....but I ramble.

So I say go for it, do what you must to stay afloat in todays economy. May be months before we see any real turn around.

Regards,
CarolX

R

Randy Stewart

Hello Mike,
I agree with Carolx, I work for the Manufacturing VP as QS Manager. We butt heads every now and then but we do alright. Ive worked for worse Qual Mgrs.
Welcome
:bigwave:

H

HFowler

Mike S.

With a previous employer, I was both Plant Manager and Manager of Quality. As long as your records can withstand both customer scrutiny and audits and it does not violate any customer contracts, I see no problem

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

:)

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
A Production Manager with a sound Quality background - Can you ask for anything better? It is production that has to be responsible for quality because 'you cannot inspect quality into a product'. With the two roles combined into one, I think you should be able to work wonders!
All the Best!

M

Michael T

Best of Both Worlds

Hi Mike - welcome to the Cove!!

Gotta agree with everyone on this. You've got the best of both worlds and you may be in a positions to REALLY make quality work from the production standpoint.

As Marc (aka. the Big Cheese) urges...don't sacrafice your ethics and never give in to the pressure to "ship it" when there is a question of quality. (I've been there - I know how Upper Management can be when they ask... "Is it really THAT bad?" :frust: )

Good luck!!!! :bigwave:

M

M Greenaway

Mike

As already said in other posts, this may be theoretically uncomfortable to an auditor but he would have to find reason to question this structure. So long as you are confident that quality is not jeapordised by your dual roles I am sure you will stand up to audit, and more importantly satisfy your customers.

K
Been there, done that. After 8 years at a manufacturing company as QM the owner gave me Production too. Production was in BAD shape (average late 45 days, 70% late, I'm not going to mention floor rejections). One year later, 97% on time, average days <3, and I was fired. Didn't compromise my ethics, I was Quality first, and had the chance to implement a quality culture on the floor. However there was some friction with the owner regarding management styles, he didn't like me standing between him and the floor personnel (he was a screamer).

Some notes:
1. My replacement held both positions too. The company proceded to flunk the yearly ISO audit, one of the majors was the two hat situation, along with a lot of stuff he didn't keep up with. They gave up and are no longer registered.
2. If I were the type that liked revenge I could be satisfied that two years after I left sales were dowm from 12 mil. to about 4 mil.

Some people can't read the writing on the wall

Wow.. Some people just can't read the writing on the wall...
1. My replacement held both positions too. The company proceded to flunk the yearly ISO audit, one of the majors was the two hat situation, along with a lot of stuff he didn't keep up with. They gave up and are no longer registered.

2. If I were the type that liked revenge I could be satisfied that two years after I left sales were dowm from 12 mil. to about 4 mil.
... and when are they going out of buissness?

I don't know who said it, but: "Quality is not necessary. All companys don't have to survive".

/Claes

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Dual Role Question - Metrologist AND Quality Manager - Conflict of Interest? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
P SUPPLIER OR CUSTOMER? - Dual role quandary Service Industry Specific Topics 6
S Dual MDD and MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
pcoltsqe Dual AS9100 and AS9110 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Ron Rompen Dual level holes - Measurement method suggestions wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
K Holding Dual Certifications - for AS9100 and AS9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N Dual ISO 9001 (Manufacturing) and ISO 13485 (Design Control) for same product line ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Dual Lot Manufacturing requirements for Clinical Customers Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Registration Certificate Dual Accreditation Marks (UKAS and ANAB) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
W AS9100C/ISO9001:2008 Dual Certification (to both standards) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
I Dual Acceptance Criteria: Cpk and Individual Values Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Scope of ISO Certification - Dual Certificates for different Products? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
F How to set-up a Dual Company QMS (Quality Management System) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
T Dual Reporting Responsibilities in a Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
G Implementing Dual Standards in a Company - ISO 9001 & AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Can a company have a dual QMS, part AS9100 and ISO9001 the rest? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
J Dual degree MSQA - CSU online program (MSQA) and continuing a Masters in Biotech Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
C AS9100 and ISO 9001 - Dual Certifications Suggested at AS9100 Internal Auditor class AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
N Dual ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 Certification for Company with different Product Lines ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
T ASME NQA-1-1994 Standard Supplement 17S-1: Dual Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
A Maintaining Dual Standards ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 - Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
U New fuel injection system - Nissan Dual Injector System World News 1
W Is a dual ISO9001 AND AS9100 QMS Feasible? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
J Dual Quality Systems? Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
BradM Running two monitors on one computer - Dual View After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
P A standard method of Dual Dimensioning drawings (Inch/Metric) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
GStough Dual cert (9001 & 13485) - How to audit the 1 medical device we manufacture? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Marc Advanced Micro Devices' new dual-core processors prices revealed After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
M Some people here at the Cove are often brutally honest - Dual/Secret Identities? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 43
G Experience with APIQR dual registration to ISO 9001/API Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational The role of the quality professional - an interesting video by CQI Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Informational Webinar: The role of the TGA in digital health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
Edward Reesor Role of increased regulatory costs in increasing risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Kronos147 Quality Manager's Role in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
D Document approvers by role or by name Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Role of Breast Tissue Expander in Breast Reconstruction process. Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
G Role of Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K New Quality Manager Role Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13