Dual Role - Quality and Production

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I am the Quality Manager for a small manufacturing company in the Eastern US. Our Quality system is ISO9001-1994 compliant but we are not registered (maybe someday). Due to current economic conditions and a few other issues we face, I may in the near future be asked to shoulder some Prodution responsibilities -- possibly even be Production Manager - in addition to Quality Manager. Of course, this immediately brings to mind the visions of the fox guarding the hen house. I have been in Quality for over 10 years and I am confident in my own ability to be objective in my quality responsibilities despite any production responsibilities, but I wonder how this might look to outsiders and, especially our current and potential customers. Long-time customers know and trust me, but...

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation or any comments or insight that may be of help to me should this situation arise? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Mike

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
shouldn't be an issue

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the Cove!!

I really don't see a problem with this, especially if the company is focused properly on satifying the customer. Very often in small manufacturing companies, people have to wear multiple hats. I work for a small job shop and when I started at this company, we were about half the size we are now. I reported to the production manager and was a lowly (translate - only) inspector. Growth has mandated a little more formalized structure here, but not by much. In my situation I was never forced to accept defective product. Anytime I questioned a concern over a part, and the production manager felt it was not an issue, he would say "Let me sign it off, I'll take the heat if I am wrong". I can't even remeber a case where he was wrong....but I ramble.

So I say go for it, do what you must to stay afloat in todays economy. May be months before we see any real turn around.

Regards,
CarolX

R

Randy Stewart

Hello Mike,
I agree with Carolx, I work for the Manufacturing VP as QS Manager. We butt heads every now and then but we do alright. Ive worked for worse Qual Mgrs.
Welcome
:bigwave:

H

HFowler

Mike S.

With a previous employer, I was both Plant Manager and Manager of Quality. As long as your records can withstand both customer scrutiny and audits and it does not violate any customer contracts, I see no problem

Best Regards,
Hank Fowler

:)

A

Atul Khandekar

A Production Manager with a sound Quality background - Can you ask for anything better? It is production that has to be responsible for quality because 'you cannot inspect quality into a product'. With the two roles combined into one, I think you should be able to work wonders!
All the Best!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Keep Your Ethics

Bottom line is don't sell out your ethics... :thedeal:

M

Michael T

Best of Both Worlds

Hi Mike - welcome to the Cove!!

Gotta agree with everyone on this. You've got the best of both worlds and you may be in a positions to REALLY make quality work from the production standpoint.

As Marc (aka. the Big Cheese) urges...don't sacrafice your ethics and never give in to the pressure to "ship it" when there is a question of quality. (I've been there - I know how Upper Management can be when they ask... "Is it really THAT bad?" :frust: )

Good luck!!!! :bigwave:

M

M Greenaway

Mike

As already said in other posts, this may be theoretically uncomfortable to an auditor but he would have to find reason to question this structure. So long as you are confident that quality is not jeapordised by your dual roles I am sure you will stand up to audit, and more importantly satisfy your customers.

K

KenS

Been there, done that. After 8 years at a manufacturing company as QM the owner gave me Production too. Production was in BAD shape (average late 45 days, 70% late, I'm not going to mention floor rejections). One year later, 97% on time, average days <3, and I was fired. Didn't compromise my ethics, I was Quality first, and had the chance to implement a quality culture on the floor. However there was some friction with the owner regarding management styles, he didn't like me standing between him and the floor personnel (he was a screamer).

Some notes:
1. My replacement held both positions too. The company proceded to flunk the yearly ISO audit, one of the majors was the two hat situation, along with a lot of stuff he didn't keep up with. They gave up and are no longer registered.
2. If I were the type that liked revenge I could be satisfied that two years after I left sales were dowm from 12 mil. to about 4 mil.

Some people can't read the writing on the wall

Wow.. Some people just can't read the writing on the wall...
1. My replacement held both positions too. The company proceded to flunk the yearly ISO audit, one of the majors was the two hat situation, along with a lot of stuff he didn't keep up with. They gave up and are no longer registered.

2. If I were the type that liked revenge I could be satisfied that two years after I left sales were dowm from 12 mil. to about 4 mil.
... and when are they going out of buissness?

I don't know who said it, but: "Quality is not necessary. All companys don't have to survive".

/Claes

Last edited:
Top Bottom