Dueling Metrology Labs - Two different labs telling you two different things

Klutz

Registered
What do you do when you have two different labs telling you two different things? I had some samples sent to a metrology lab that I then sent to another lab for verification of the results.

The test was to look at effective case hardness (measure with HV.5 and convert to HRC). Lab #2 measured and reported on Lab #1's imprints and took new readings on areas that failed. The labs are in agreement that the parts are not to specification, but I am getting different values of results.

I understand that if the heat treat was bad, different areas will have varied hardness readings, but the measuring prior indents should be the same, not 7.7 HRC different.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
What do you do when you have two different labs telling you two different things? I had some samples sent to a metrology lab that I then sent to another lab for verification of the results.

The test was to look at effective case hardness (measure with HV.5 and convert to HRC). Lab #2 measured and reported on Lab #1's imprints and took new readings on areas that failed. The labs are in agreement that the parts are not to specification, but I am getting different values of results.

I understand that if the heat treat was bad, different areas will have varied hardness readings, but the measuring prior indents should be the same, not 7.7 HRC different.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Get a 3rd opinion.

Ron Rompen

Hardness measurement (particularly when doing Vickers microhardness) is never an exact thing - how much variation did you get between the two labs readings?

Did they both provide the raw data (i.e. the size of the indentation)?

Do they both use the same type of equipment and measurement process, or is one of them an automated measurement?

Did they both use the same conversion factors?

Just a few things to consider.

normzone

Not my area of specialty, but did the second lab attempt measurement in EXACTLY the same area as the first? I'll wager one could not get the same reading twice using that approach.

Oh, and what [Ron Rompen] said. What little experience I have measuring Rockwell hardness showed variation, even using the same sample and me being the only operator.

Do you have another known good piece you could repeat these tests with? If material in spec delivers a similar pattern of readings, then you'd know ....

.... that they were similar patterns of readings. Sorry, I got nothing. Long week. Have a good weekend all. :popcorn:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Based only on the post, it appears you ran an informal ILC. That is your right.

Now, the blocks should first have been calibrated by at least an accredited lab, ideally a higher level lab. Then you have sufficient information for a statistical analysis of the labs to the reference lab.

That would give you the results as to which one to do business with.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A FD&C dueling banjos (conflicting section numbers) Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
C Teaching Metrology - Vernier vs Digital General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L How to manage a Metrology Department or Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Temperature/humidity requirements in internal metrology laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Looking for a Metrology Course preferably Dimensional and Electronics Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
B New to Metrology and told to complete Gage R&R with AIAG compliant software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
G Metrology Laser Reliability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
O Metrology Devices to Measure the Basic Dimensions of Plastic Specimens General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M MSA - Validation of Metrology Software such as PCDMIS Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J How to measure effectiveness of the Metrology Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Mad Metrology - A fun Metrology Game General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Designing an attribute MSA for a new piece of metrology equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
I SPC Statistical Analysis in Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Hershal Metrology Careers - Potential good Paying Jobs in the Science of Measurement Field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P I am looking for some Metrology Procedures Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Metrology Control Charts for Reference and Working Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Correction and Degree of Error - Metrology Definitions and Differences General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Requirements for Hardness of Metrology Instrument Parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Reputable Third Party Inspection (Metrology Lab) In USA? Cam Profile Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Metrology and GD&T Employee Evaluation Test Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
V Has anyone used Empower (Calibration/Metrology software)? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Jim Wynne Great Moments In Metrology History--Underwear Caliper Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
S Metrology Logistical Support General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Standard Equipment List for Stocking a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P Anyone seen Metrology Improvements (P/T, GR&R) as Six Sigma Projects? Six Sigma 3
M Metrology Room Lighting Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Hershal A Primer on Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Metrology Technician Certificate - Metrology Technician courses or certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Hershal New edition of the VIM has been released - International Vocabulary of Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Metrology Related Professional Association Recommendations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Material, Links & Information on some basic exercise on PC DMIS & CMM Metrology Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
U ISO/IEC Guide 99:2007 - International Vocabulary of Metrology (VIM). General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N International Symbols in Metrology and Calibration EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Boeings volumetric metrology procedures D1-8005 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
D Is Temperature & Humidity monitoring in a Metrology / Test Laboratory required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
Wayne Searching for Zero - The Definitive Dimensional Metrology Reference Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
L Basic Metrology Overview Slides Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Recreating a Metrology System - What will you recommend me to start with? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
F ISO 10012 and ISO 17025 - Doing research about metrology systems confirmation ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
Govind Metrology Laboratory 'Classes' - Atmospheric, Ergonomic and Other Factors to consider General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G The Metrology Handbook - New book in part by 2 Elsmar Covers! Congrats! Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
B Calibration Management Software: MudCats Metrology Suite General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
D Resolution, Discrimination, NDC and the Tower of Babel in Metrology General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc Definition Metrology Terms and Metrology Definitions - A very nice Glossary Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
shimonv Products certified by one of the less familiar NRTL labs Other US Medical Device Regulations 1