Dummy Data with Dependency

Mikael

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi

There are some webpages that do random dummy data to test with, but I need the data to be related/depend on each other, for instance if I have two fields a start and stop date, it must make sense relative to each other.

Does anyone knows a tool where I can define an interval and the relations?

Or perhaps someone have an idea how generate it in Excel?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi

There are some webpages that do random dummy data to test with, but I need the data to be related/depend on each other, for instance if I have two fields a start and stop date, it must make sense relative to each other.

Does anyone knows a tool where I can define an interval and the relations?

Or perhaps someone have an idea how generate it in Excel?
You are basically entering the arena of Monte Carlo simulations, which can be easily done in Excel. There is a rand() function in Excel which will give you a uniformly distributed number between 0 and 1. You then run that through the inverse of the distribuiton you want. Excel has several inverse distributiones including that for Normal.

If you wanted to do the start date stop date example, you could randomly generate start dates (probably sticking to a uniform distribution) then add to that some Normally distributed random variable for the cycle time.

You can also simulate serially-dependent data by generating the next random number from some combination of the previous value, and the new random number.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
To expand on Steve's comment, you can add RAND() into any distribution function that uses a probability term.

For example: NORM.INV(probability, mean, standard_dev). Substitute RAND() for probability, and you have NORM.INV(RAND(), mean, standard_dev). This will give you random data from a normal distribution.

LOGNORM.INV(RAND(), mean, standard_dev) will give you random data from a lognormal distribution, which is commonly used for time data.

Mikael

Thx you both :), though I am not sure how to use the random() correct.

I created 2x date field and time, so I need to add the random minutes, this works:
=SUM(D14+TIME(0;(RANDBETWEEN(1;59));0))

But if I try to add:
LOGNORM.INV(RANDbetween(), mean, standard_dev)

I cannot make it work, how important is that?

Last edited:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thx you both :), though I am not sure how to use the random() correct.

I created 2x date field and time, so I need to add the random minutes, this works:
=SUM(D14+TIME(0;(RANDBETWEEN(1;59));0))

But if I try to add:
LOGNORM.INV(RANDbetween(), mean, standard_dev)

I cannot make it work, how important is that?
Try this: =LOGNORM.INV(RAND(),1,2)

When you use the inverses, the random number must be uniform between zero and 1, which is what RAND() gives you. Then you can apply the mean and standard deviation you want to the Lognorm.inv.

Mikael

Thx, that works and of course it does not makes sense to define the interval there, but can I then define that it has to be minutes from 1 to 59 or sometimes hours 0 -23 ? Maybe it is a stupid question because I don't understand what it does, can you help me a little on why I need lognorm.inv?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Log Normal distribution is frequently used to model times because it has the beneficial property of not generating negative numbers. Basically looks like the bell curve (the "Normal Distribution") except it terminates at zero rather than running into negative numbers. There are other distributions with this property, but the log normal is the simplest (mathematically) to use.

Excel stores dates and times as numbers, starting with January 1, 1900. So you really don't need to worry about generating 0 to 23 for hours and 0 to 59 for minutes. Generate a random number, then format the cell to a date/time or just time format. It may take some trial and error to get the correct ranges to use, but is probably the easiest way to go. Plus, if you want to add the cycle time to the start date to get a finish date, you need to go this route.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Dummy SMTP server for email testing Software Quality Assurance 3
S How to use Dummy Variable in Regression Model in Minitab Six Sigma 2
I Do we need GOOD and BAD Wire Harness "Dummy" Samples? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Dummy Recall Guidelines - How to evaluate recall effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Certified Crash Test Dummy General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Steve Prevette Informational I am presenting a webinar Thursday - "Data Driven Decision Making" - 19 November 2020 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Comparing data from destructive testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
DuncanGibbons Technical Data Package vs Digital Product Definition APQP and PPAP 0
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
F General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
E PEMS Hazards - IEC 60601 Clause 14.6 - Internal data use - Pressure sensor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Transform variable data into attribute data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 24
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D BS EN 62304 - Medical-Relevant Data C.5 - Definition of IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
S Quality manager considering data science Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
A What are Practical data center best practices IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Average and standard deviation of Cumulative Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Watchcat CERs Literature Databases - Searching for data to evaluate EU Medical Device Regulations 16
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
J Sample size for creating a data base as a reference to a tested variable Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M GUDID data deficiency communication - IS THIS A SCAM? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 29
H Question about implications of performing Firmware upgrade via MDDS - Medical Device Data Systems 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational US FDA – MDR Data Files – Alternative Summary Report Data Since 1999 Available Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
CPhelan Do you require MDSAP for CE Marking of a Medical Device or is ISO13485:2016 with clinical data sufficient? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M Data analysis Design of Experiments Using Minitab Software 3
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
M Informational US – National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc) Solicits Public Comments for Data Quality and Methods Frameworks Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Eudamed Data Exchange Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Eudamed Data exchange services and entity models introductions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M Informational EU – M2M Data Exchange available services for accessing MDR EUDAMED data available for Economic Operator (EO) organisations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Automatic Data Gathering Requirements and Privacy Implications Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
R Over read of physiological data by technicians EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
M Informational EU – EUDAMED UDI Device Data Dictionary + data sets Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Mig Welded Components - IMDS International Material Data System RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Informational MDCG 2019-4 Timelines for registration of device data elements in EUDAMED Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0