During internal audit - finding poor action plans

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Hello .
I think I've mentioned before, but just started in a company as quality analyst just 1 month before plannings for internal audit starts.
One day the quality coordinator asks me: do you where the action plan regarding last year internal audit is?
From this question I was very surprised. Sou, only thing I could find was the "sequencial list" of NC's for him. And he says "I wonder where are the evidences of closing this findings". Later he comes back and says,oh I see a code here which means that the actions plans are in a software where we use to track this.
I'm checking some of it and there are root cause analysis but action plans. They are all blank.
I am doing internal audit in 2 days. I see this as a major NC I could give. But since I'm new here , I wonder how can I mention this without being very annoying (which I could be).
Tks guys.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
There is a shift to do away with classifying internal audit findings as major or minor - perhaps that could be a recommendation at one point to revamp your internal auditor program.

Rather than simply issue a finding, however, I presume you're going to ask the recipients of these previous nonconformances where the action plans are? Maybe they didn't know there was a software program - sounds like the quality coordinator only recently learned this, as well. Perhaps the action plans are located elsewhere.

I'd offer that to ensure any finding has merit, substance, and value to it, you should truly understand what the situation is and the variables that have influenced it.

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Afual
There is a shift to do away with classifying internal audit findings as major or minor - perhaps that could be a recommendation at one point to revamp your internal auditor program.

Rather than simply issue a finding, however, I presume you're going to ask the recipients of these previous nonconformances where the action plans are? Maybe they didn't know there was a software program - sounds like the quality coordinator only recently learned this, as well. Perhaps the action plans are located elsewhere.

I'd offer that to ensure any finding has merit, substance, and value to it, you should truly understand what the situation is and the variables that have influenced it.
Actually I really think that the answer is going to be that no action plan was finished. Cause what the supervisor says is "after previous QMS analyst left, many things were left behind, out dated". So during internal audit, this can be a NC right?

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
If there were NC's identified and root causes were identified, what was done to prevent reoccurrence? Also, you have a weak point in the system. What was done to follow up on these? Was top management unaware of the NC's?

The fact that no action was taken is one thing, but the lack of visibility is entirely another.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Yes and no, Graciel. It is (under the strict interpretation of the standard) a nonconformance, but IMHO, the greater issue is the lack of a contingency plan to deal with things that need to be addressed when someone leaves the company. If the QA Manager, or yourself, or whoever wins the lottery, will the auditor come in and find NOBODY to represent the company during the audit?
Rather than just write a nonconformance, raise this as an issue with YOUR boss, and (if possible) provide a workable solution as well - constantly pointing out the issues is (I have learned from experience) definitely not going to get you appreciated in your company, no matter how good a job you do.

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
If there were NC's identified and root causes were identified, what was done to prevent reoccurrence? Also, you have a weak point in the system. What was done to follow up on these? Was top management unaware of the NC's?

The fact that no action was taken is one thing, but the lack of visibility is entirely another.
Top management asked quality supervisor during critical analysis meeting (done recently), to show him the evidences of closing the NC. I think quality coordinator went there, showed the list,like a general sequencial list of the NC's which said "completed". I really don't know what else he did to convince top management. Maybe the director didn't ask for evidences since they had more items to review during critical analysis meeting.

Zero_yield

No cost too great...for Quality
The next step I would take would be gathering evidence on whether or not the issue that was identified in the original nonconformance is still present.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
Top management asked quality supervisor during critical analysis meeting (done recently), to show him the evidences of closing the NC. I think quality coordinator went there, showed the list,like a general sequencial list of the NC's which said "completed". I really don't know what else he did to convince top management. Maybe the director didn't ask for evidences since they had more items to review during critical analysis meeting.
It sounds like maybe your system says you need to discuss NC's, so your organization asked the quality supervisor about the status, that person said "All good!", and it never went any further than that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Number of people to be interviewed during an internal audit? Internal Auditing 10
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
A Not having an internal audit during the year ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
D Internal Audit During the Transition Period from ISO9001:2008 to ISO9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q Raising a Major Nonconformance during an Internal Audit Internal Auditing 23
L Internal Re-audit after Major Finding during ISO 9001 Re-Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Field Visit during Internal Audit of ISO/IEC 17020? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
Coury Ferguson Should a Registrar write a NC on something that was found during the Internal Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 138
C Is NCR compulsory for all Nonconformances found during Internal Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Is there a need to tie NC found during internal audit to relevant ISO clauses? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A Do we have to conduct tests during internal audit of ISO 17025:2005? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
H Multiple Work Orders at work station found during Internal Product Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G NC criteria during internal audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
R What questions should I ask during Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
V Driving Objectivity of Review Mechanism during Internal Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M Internal NCR - Welded steel - Fixes during welding process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
I How to measure internal auditees' performance during customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G IT being audited during ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Confidentiality of information during MD registration worldwide Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
shimonv Device deficiencies (~complaint) discovered during a clinical trial ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M How to apply IEC 62304 Problem Resolution Process for bugs discovered prior to release i.e. during initial development? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
V Handling deviations during analytical method validations Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
G Fractional cycles during sterilisation requalification Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Using NICE for guidance during CER CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Help to understand and response to API AAR during the re-certification audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
S Corrections not allowed during audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Role of QA during Design and Development of Products and Processes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
G 60601-1 8.8.3. short circuit of both side during insulation test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Not accepting a non conformity during an audit General Auditing Discussions 11
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
K Silver Plating corroding possible during SMT Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B How many nonconformances have you received on average during IATF audits? General Auditing Discussions 27
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 10
M ECG lead leakage currents - How to specify ECG leads during electrical safety testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Disabling measurement data during fault conditions IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Obligations as a contract manufacturer during an MDSAP audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A OEM On-Site Calibration issues during Covid19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Documentation hold during submissions? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C 21 CFR 803 malfunction detected during packaging - report? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Major nonconformity due to recurrence of a NC during a subsequent CB audit. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Things to learn during lockdown.... Safety-related books/articles/threads Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18