DV/PV Test Part Storage

Hello,

I am a technician in an automotive R&D lab dealing with DV/PV parts. I have been asked to find out the storage requirements for our samples after testing is completed. I have found several bits of information here, but I am still somewhat lost. Is there a document or standard that defines how parts going through initial testing should be handled? I would really appreciate any information.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Cliff, not knowing your contractual relationship, I suggest you to reach out to your customer SQ if you have one or through your customer Purch/Eng folks...can you share more info?

Last edited:
We are a small lab for a tier 1 supplier to several car makers. I appreciate the feedback on who to talk to. I have been told recently by one of these people that its something like 15 years for test parts according to IATF 16949. I know already that the next question will be where does it say this. I suppose I can follow up again. Time to look for a section regarding validation sample retention. I am open to any more suggestions. Thanks again.

The labs I use do not retain our samples. They return them to us to retain as our customer specifies.
I should have worded it better. We are part of the supplier, not an external lab that they are using. The main offices are over seas and we are a small tech center used for some local testing when required by the customer. The folks at the larger facilities for different programs seem to have wildly varying ideas for storage duration. I know customers differ, but I was curious if there was a standard to start from or something that would generally satisfy most requirements.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Is there any reason that you cannot return the product along with the test reports to the requestor and let them worry about retention?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If you're doing testing for PPAP purposes, the rules for data retention should apply. The general requirement is to keep data for at least one calendar year after the end of production for the part(s) in question. The same could apply to the samples. In the end it's a matter of risk to your company. In some instances, photos of the tested parts might suffice.

The requestors are all in the building where we perform the testing. After completion we move things to storage which is also located here. I have asked the different PMs and application engineers their storage requirements and they don't have a clear answer. So, the lab management has asked me to look into it because this is not a large facility and storage is limited. It seems that most people get clarification from their customers so I may just have to push the responsibility back to the engineering team who deal with them directly.

If you're doing testing for PPAP purposes, the rules for data retention should apply. The general requirement is to keep data for at least one calendar year after the end of production for the part(s) in question. The same could apply to the samples. In the end it's a matter of risk to your company. In some instances, photos of the tested parts might suffice.
Thank you for your feedback. The pictures may actually be a better choice in some instances involving reactive chemicals. Could you point me in the right direction to review the guideline for PPAP data retention. They will ask for supporting documents. Would it be a standard, customer specification, both?

Thank you for your feedback. The pictures may actually be a better choice in some instances involving reactive chemicals. Could you point me in the right direction to review the guideline for PPAP data retention. They will ask for supporting documents. Would it be a standard, customer specification, both?
I don't have a PPAP manual anymore, but the data retention requirements should be in it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational FDA Qualifies First Biomarker Test as Part of Medical Device Development Tools (MDDT) Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W Gage R&R where Device Under Test (DUT) is part of the Measurement System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
JoCam Approving a Test House on a Medical Device as a part of a 510k Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A How can we find the relation between life time and durability test in automotive part Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
C Part Tolerance and TAR (Test Accuracy Ratio) - Non-Fixed Gaging General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
thisby_ EMC/FCC part 15 test (NRTL - Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories) required? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Salt Spray Test on 3 year old Zinc Die Casting Chromed part per ASTM B 117-03 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Designing a Test Part to Assess CMM Operator's Knowledge Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
H Verification of a Test Apparatus by using known nonconforming part(s) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Can I consider Reliability Test Plan part of the DVP&R, or the other way round Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Developing a Leak Test - Housing part for an automotive customer Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Lot Release Test and Certificate of Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
John Broomfield Construction Inspection and Test Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Z COVID-19 Antigen Test Kit (Self-test) Registration in Peru Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N 60601-2-34 Electrosurgery interference Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Self-test minimum requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
H Regarding the validity of EMC & Safety test reports without NABL & ILAC-MRA mark. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z Implement methods of Round Robin test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D 62304 code review, unit test, integration test example IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D DOD First Article Test Plan & Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Stoic Details of Operational Qualification (OQ) test design for plastic extrusion processes, effect of material property noise, and GHTF/SG3/N99-10 US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Earth (ground) leakage current routine test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Audit & Agreements for "Test Laboratory" Supplier? US Medical Device Regulations 4
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
K Looking for a tape to perform cross hatch test on powder coating parts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Change Control for Test Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
MaHoDie Summative Usability test Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Pressure vessels hydraulic test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Spinal implant predicate device test results 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Statistical Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Ed Panek Looking for Test Resource General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Microbiological test (USP61, USP62, USP71, ISO 11137.1, ISO11137.2) --- Testing flow chart Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Discussion on OBL and OEM test data for submission as per new EUMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Vader22 5 Why RCA for failure to test Contingency Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Knee-Patella wear test CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L PFMEA for test procedures (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A Direct vs. Post-License Investigational Test Authorization (ITA) Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3