E-Commerce - Use standard ISO units of measure

R

Ray Culver

We have a e-commerce site that we are going to upload a catalogue to, for customers to order our product from...

We are requested by the vendor to "Use standard ISO units of measure", for pricing of product (by unit of measure) in this "e-catalogue".

Question: What is ISO unit of measure?
[email protected]

J

Jim Biz

Just a far out guess
Is the Vender within the Euro marketplace?
if so I would think they are expecting pricing to be shown in not only canadian but Equivilent Euro dollar amounts

R

Ray Culver

Jim,
the vendor is not in Euro but rather not too far from you in the U.S.....

You're not aware of any standards dealing with "each", "pair", "set", etc, etc. For example $1.00 per set. Is there a standard for unit of measure as illustrated that you are aware of?
Ray

J

Jim Biz

Not that I'm aware of - still thinking along the lines of ISO meaning "equal" in this case xxxx Canadian xxxx equivlant US dollars.

Regards
Jim

M

Michel Saad

I am not sure either, but I would guess the IS (international standard)of measure (grams, meters, Amps, Atmospheres, seconds, etc...)instead of others (pounds, feet, torrs, etc...)

Hope it helps.

A

awk

Ray,

You may want to try a search engine and use the following key words or phrases:

9 scheduling module - this is used so there are no conflicting interpretations

Systems International Units (SI) - these are base units & supplementary units. I believe this is ISO/IEC 10744:1997

ISO 3166 - this is for vocabulary

ISO/TC 12 identifies Units of Measures as relating to base & derived units using the International Systems of Units.

ANSI includes any units to which a price may be applied, such as package units, industry specific units, decimals, etc. UN ECE Trade Facilitation Recommendation 20.

I recently began looking this up for one of my clients. To tell you the truth this is out of my field.

awk

A

awk

Ray,

Since my previous post I have narrowed down the information I provided.

Try the following:
www.iso.ch then click on Products for your Business. Click on SI Guide. This takes you to ISO Handbook - ISO 31. This is Quantities and Units that constitutes the body of International Standards covering the measurement of anything.

awk

R

Ray Culver

Awk, your a friend in the waiting! Thank you!

For those following the thread, ISO has a document (SI 31) available on-line at: http://www.iso.ch/markete/siguide.htm

Here is a brief description:
"The ISO Handbook, Quantities and Units has proved its worth. It contains the 14 parts that go to make up ISO 31, Quantities and units, and that constitutes the body of International Standards covering the measurement of anything. Now we have a pocket version with just the essentials of the International System of Units in a handly manual of 32 pages.

The SI is built in such a way that only one unit is used for each kind of quantity, which makes the system very simple. But, of course, this SI Guide contains conversion factors for other common units, in order to make it easy to calculate numerical values expressed in SI units."

This invariable, would be the starting point for e-commerce application when selling both domestic and internationally.

More to come......

Top Bottom