Each ISO9000:2000 requirement has intent?

Q

qsmso

Hello all Cove friends,
I try to do some search about intent of each ISO9K2K requirement (clause by clause) and benefit from doing thing right the first time. Because to motivate or make people awareness, they should realize the reason why they must follow each "Shall"

Can anyone please suggest?

QSMSO

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

noboxwine

Left of center but it works, etc.

Though this could be a very, very lengthy reply. I’ll hit only the important parts that have proved beneficial for my companies and me. First, don’t do anything for ISO; do it for your company. ISO stinks. 3rd party certification bodies stink more. But, you can use it as a vehicle for improvement. The standard is so broad that you can run your business they way you want, add value under almost all clauses and still easily meet the intent. People get scared by this ISO term or they laugh, as it is now a joke in industry. Eliminate the fear and laughter. Do it for the company. Solicit input from all people at all levels. They are running this system so make them an integral part of it. Don’t mandate. Ask for help. Create positive energy. Don’t read anything outside or into the clauses themselves. Read it and see how it can benefit you and show examples as you begin to sell the system. If it doesn’t improve quality of product or life or it costs too much, try again. The spirit of this new standard is Continual Improvement. That can’t be achieved if you are not getting a return on your investment. Next, in your documentation efforts, if the guy on the floor can’t understand it, throw it in the trash. If you don’t need it, don’t document it. Pictures and flow charts and small words add value. Lastly, manage your registrar. They are supposed to audit you to the minimum intent of the clause, but most will try to audit you to their opinion on business practices. Don’t let ‘em do it. Most of these clowns are rigid control freaks that add no value to society anyway. Let them understand this is your system and don’t be intimidated. Good luck ! :bonk:

Q

qualitymanager

If you're looking for how the 8 Quality Management Principles relate to the ISO 9001:2000 standard, a good place to start is the Whittington & Associates e-Newsletter, May 2002 issue section 6 "ISO 9001:2000 and Quality Management Principles"
http://www.whittingtonassociates.com/v2/newsletter/back_issues/e2002_05.shtml

I agree with the Smurf that the real benefit of the ISO 9001 standard is how you can use its requirements to help your organisation - if you are looking for 3rd party registration other factors may be prioritorised by management.

Good Luck,

qualitymanager

F

florin pirvulescu

Noboxwine you are perfectly right. I like it very very much. Unfortunately in my 9k2k experience I used two measures: first I did it for our company improvement and then I adapted a little for the sake of dear external auditor.
Florin Pirvulescu, Romania

Q

qsmso

Thank you very much for your response. I, completely, agree with all comments without any doubt.

However, I have the problem about how to interprete each "shall" in term of its intention such as "Why the standard says we need to have at least 6 procedures?, or "Why we have to create quality objective? for example.

I took ISO9K2K internal audit course, but that cannot help me clearly enogh to explain or teach my operators.

I don't know if someone might suggest or have some pdf file(s) or resources.

Thank you.
QSMSO

C

Chris May

qsmso,

Once you have identified your processes and process relationships, flow chart some examples that travel through all processes.

I did some by product. Select one product and then map it through the whole system. I found this useful to both myself and the people that I was trying to bring on board.

Also, maybe instead of trying to explain why they should comply with all the "shalls", tell them or even better show them, what can happen if they don't comply.

I am sure that you can find some scenarios that would be useful as an example of doing things wrong.

At the end it all comes down to waste/cost etc;

Regards,

Chris

M

msrazak

hie there! i would agree with noboxwine totally. we did certain things the way we WANT to do them, but these 3rd and 2nd party auditor will come and say they are not quite right because they don't follow the way they (the auditors) want.

of course there are 1001 routes to get to a destination. any route we take still takes us there, isn't it? sometimes i get this attitude from the internal auditor too!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Q Project Tracker - Something that shows the status of each project Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Retained samples from each batch of spinal implant medical screws that we make ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
I QMS documents required at each stage of Software development IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
L Help me to decide which test to use - If each proportion belongs to the same population Using Minitab Software 7
M Informational Links to recognized / harmonised / consensus Standards for each market Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
Q IATF 16949 - Product audit - Must each product be audited? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Do we need to make a new OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) for each document/form we update? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
A Is a Manufacturing Process Sheet required for each Component? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
O Clean room performance qualification (pq) - How many times can I do each test? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D 5% IATF surcharge for each audit day IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S IAF Codes - Examples of what falls under each code General Information Resources 2
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Is a different 510k is required for each (stand alone) software configurations? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
P Quality Assurance and Quality Control - Which clauses of ISO 9001 deal with each? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Procedure Pack - KIT - Each has its own CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Metric/Way to show how Internal DPPM and External DPPM relate to each other Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
shimonv 21 CFR 820.20(d) says: Each manufacturer shall establish a Quality Plan 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
S Problem Solving Database for Each Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Counting Bolts & Nuts to Pack - Each quantity is NOT fixed Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Excel Charting - Graphing each trainee's length of time in training Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
S Measuring OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) for each Job, not for Machine Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Reporting Supplier Scores to each Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S How does each element of OHSAS contribute to management of work place safety & health Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 7
C Document Revision for each new Preventative Maintenance Checklist? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K COTS Validation: Should we validate Windows after each Update? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S Should there be a SME (Subject Matter Expert) for each element? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
W PPAP MSA for each new customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Z A DOE in Minitab - 3 factors and 3 levels for each factor Using Minitab Software 12
M Is a Corrective Action required for each major/minor Tool Repair? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
M Is it possible to have two QMSs? One for each or our two products EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Checksheet for each QC department to record their daily tasks on an hourly basis Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
R Is ISO 13485 required at each different location? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
CalRich Retention of First Piece from each Production Run IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L I have four groups to compare, and each group has three samples Using Minitab Software 4
J Project Management - "Quality Check" at each phase of a Project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Requirement for each Company Plant to be AS9100 Registered? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Certificate of Free Sales (CFS) - Need to attach to each lot of exported product? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Is policy required for each procedure in ISMS ? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
C What's the sampling plan I need to inspect for each lot? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
Q Management Review Presentation Duration by each Presenter Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7