Earth leakage current test for Permanently installed Large scale MEE

Hello,
Is there any option to get a waiver for “Earth leakage current test”(per 60601-1) in case of a large scale, permanently installed , light ion beam accelerator where floating the device is almost impossible?
(The large-scale cyclotron is grounded by multiple points through the structure. It is almost impossible to float it even when the main ground rod/bar is disconnected.)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Do you want to skip the earth leakage test completely? This may be hard, but you can have higher earth leakage currents than 5mA/10mA for permanently installed equipment:

cl. 8.7.3
d) The allowable values of the EARTH LEAKAGE CURRENT are 5 mA in NORMAL CONDITION and
10 mA in SINGLE FAULT CONDITION. For PERMANENTLY INSTALLED ME EQUIPMENT connected to
a supply circuit that supplies only this ME EQUIPMENT, a higher value of EARTH LEAKAGE
CURRENT is allowed.
The problem is, that the standard does not state this "higher value", because it depends on the site of installation. If the supply circuit of your device supplies only your device, and no others, than you should evaulate, how high the maximum earth leakage current can be (also in SFC!) and evaluate the risk, that can the supply circuit is harmed in some way.

Additionally you should consider local regulations regarding the electrical installation! Maybe there are also special exemptions for such large-scale devices.

TNX for your answer,
the allowable values are not an issue, the problem is that we can not perform this test since we cant float the whole accelerator...
I want to understand what can we do in such case?

Avidan.

Benjamin Weber

OK, I see your problem. You have multiple points, where leakage currents will flow to earth, either real conductors or conductive connections to earth via the structure itself. Maybe it is possible do perform a differential measurement? Determine the incoming current in the supply line (or currents in case of multiphase supply) and the returning currents in the neutral line. If you have dedicated protective earth, measure the current here as well. The difference would be the amount, flowing to earth across the other connections.

The standard does not give more details, the manufacturer has to come up with a suitable measurement configuration:

cl. 8.7.4.5 c)
For FIXED ME EQUIPMENT that can have connections to earth through the building structure, the MANUFACTURER specifies a suitable test PROCEDURE and configuration for measurement of EARTH LEAKAGE CURRENT.

Benjamin Weber

That is roughly my idea. But you inserted ampmeters, measuring the current directly. 60601 specifies a measuring device (fig. 12). It is actually a low-pass used as a shunt and measuring the voltage drop across the shunt. I am not sure, if this is really feasable for the phases and neutral line, due to high currents/power.

I assume you are / work for the manufactuer of the device? Do you already have contact to a test lab for final testing? If so, I highly recommend to get in touch with them and discuss possible testing problems with this proposal!!! Testing like this is not an everyday job for the most test labs!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
M ISO 13485 - Are Earth Leakage Tests Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C USB, Clearances and Earth Leakage - Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Potential Equalization Conductor vs Functional Earth Terminal IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Secondary circuits and protective earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
L IEC60601-1-11 Home Healthcare + IEC60601-1-2 EMC (Functional Earth allowed?) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
J IEC 60601-1 Electrical Safety testing - Class 1 ME externally powered - Earth resistance testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Sidney Vianna The Future of Spaceship Earth - The UN Sustainable Development Goals Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Marc Google Earth Timelapse update shows Earth from 1984-2016 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
A Insulation between Secondary Accessible Parts and Earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
U Protective vs. Functional Earth Differences IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R Is protective earth connection regarded as a part of the applied part? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
A Medical Device Protective Earth (PE) issues IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Separation requirement for Class II equipment with functional earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
Richard Regalado Our Beautiful World courtesy of NASA - Photos of Earth Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
marmotte Adding a Funct. Earth. to a class II / BF device...retest needed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R What is the meaning of "Highest RATED Current" in Protective Earth Impedance Test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
S Protective Earth Test in IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P Is it true? Mars closer to Earth in August Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Ted Schmitt Earth Hour - Sat March 28, 2009 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 27
Marc Google Earth in 4D with Historical 'Overlay' Maps After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
I Google Earth Hacks Web Site Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc Google Earth v4 Released: Mac and Linux Support at Last After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Wes Bucey Google maps and Google Earth satellite photos - WoW! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 28
D QMS - Could someone give me a down to earth explanation of QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
W Regarding Requirement for Hi pot & Leakage Current test Station Set-up IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
T Tests IEC 60601-1 - Grounding Resistance, Leakage Current and Dielectric Rigidity in an automated way IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Leakage Current test and Dielectric strength for Battery operated ECG device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Leakage current measurement with non-frequency-weighted device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E IEC 60335-1 leakage current measurement Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Measuring Leakage Currents with IEC 60601 defined Measurement Device (MD) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
P Humidity Pre-Conditioning before leakage current and dielectric strength tests IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
W How can I test the Patient Leakage Current of an Infusion Pump? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
A Accuracy Calculation of Leakage Current for an Electrical Safety Analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Exceeding the DC Leakage Current Limit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Leakage Current Measuring Instrument - IEC 60601-1 Requirement IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D Patient Leakage ISO 7176-14 vs. IEC 60601-1:2005 Reporting Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M IEC60601-1 Battery Powered Body Worn Device Leakage Currents IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R IEC 60601-2-49 - Touch Current (Enclosure Leakage Current) requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Defining Expected Oxygen Leakage for Safety Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
A Medical Device Leakage Current Measurement with External Power Supply IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Understanding DC Patient Leakage Failure from 0.3VDC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Why DC limits more stringent than AC limits for Leakage Current Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Whether some paths exist for leakage to get outside the LCD? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Pre-Conditioning Leakage Current IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
M Operator/Patient Leakage Current IEC 60601 - Battery Charger IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
P Leakage Currents and Patient Auxiliary Current under IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2