EASY Chicken Enchilada dish

smryan

Perspective.
Not the typical "blog" type topic, but when one knows a good thing and doesn't share its almost like being bad. This was yummy dinner last night and yummier lunch today. And I can't continue testing till my samples cool, so....

Need:
* Leftover or rotisserie chicken, chop or shred
* Large can of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (Old El Paso is the only kind I can find around here - green taco sauce or salsa is NOT a valid substitute)
* Shredded cheese
* Pkg of corn tortillas
* Can of Refried Beans (omit if you don't like)
* Glass baking dish of appropriate size.

Amounts depend on your clan size. My 8x8 casserole will make 4 hearty servings. Start with a layer of sauce. Then single tortilla layer - break 'em up to fill the corners. Another sauce layer. Another tortilla layer. A light sauce layer. A bean layer. A meat layer. A cheese layer. repeat. Top with one last sauce/tortilla/sauce/tortilla layer. The sauce between the tortillas is very important - its what turns them so soft and yummy. Not enough sauce and you get a dry enchilada... I like the tortillas to get really moist - almost like tamale insides. Mmm... I miss Truzillino's Tamales.

Because you have it in a glass pan you can bake @ 350F for 30 min or microwave it for around 10. It goes together fast with very little mess.

H

Hodgepodge

We make something similar. We add green chilies to the chicken and use Monterey Jack cheese. Fast and good. Good blog!

smryan

Perspective.
Thanks =) The MJack or Mex Blend are the "usuals" but I find using an extra sharp cheddar gives it a nice twist, too. Now I'm craving my Mom's "Tamale Pie" from my childhood - but Mom can't recall how she made it.

H

Hodgepodge

Arios,
My Mexican Amigo!!! Please share. I'm always looking for something new to try.

Top Bottom