EC Certificate - EC certificates are issued for CE Marking

sriramsl

Involved In Discussions
Dear all
Our sales people are facing some stupid questions from customers. As you know the certificate issued by NBs for CE marking in English will always have the title as "EC Certificate"

Instigated by some of the competitors our customers are saying that this is not CE certificate this is EC certificate. I have trained our sales people to educate the customers saying that there is no CE certificate, it is only CE marking and CE stands for Conformite Europeenne in french and in English it is European Conformity, hence the certificate will always be as EC certificate.

But some of our customers do not agree and reject our certificate. Can anyone help to identify a European Commission document or even web link wherein it states clearly that EC certificates are issued for CE marking

I know I am asking a stupid question, but unfortunately we have adamant but stupid customers

Regards
Sriram

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Re: EC Certificate

Hi,

Honestly, I'm not sure where the title "EC certificate" came from. I just know it's been there since forever. I can't recall a clause in the MDD where "EC certificate" is called out, it's usually just "a certificate" IIRC. Perhaps it was in some early MEDDEV or the like. I can't remember.

Which is your NB? Perhaps you can find something on their website, or otherwise ask them to provide a letter clarifying the issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Ronen.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

hence the certificate will always be as EC certificate.

Do you mean, in English? Because the problem is the language.

Using the example of the EC declaration of conformity (it's the same for the EC certificate)

In English, the term is "EC DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY".

In French, it is "DÉCLARATION CE DE CONFORMITÉ".

IN Portuguese it is "DECLARAÇÃO CE DE CONFORMIDADE".

And so on, for all the official EU languages.

So, one possible "solution" to your problem is to have a certificate in another language in which it's is CE. You may ask your NB for that, they probably can issue the certificate in more than one language. Then you will have a CE "certificate"(a CE certificat in French or a Certificado CE in Portuguese for example).

sriramsl

Involved In Discussions

Hi,

Honestly, I'm not sure where the title "EC certificate" came from. I just know it's been there since forever. I can't recall a clause in the MDD where "EC certificate" is called out, it's usually just "a certificate" IIRC. Perhaps it was in some early MEDDEV or the like. I can't remember.

Which is your NB? Perhaps you can find something on their website, or otherwise ask them to provide a letter clarifying the issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Ronen.
Thanks Ronen for your reply.
Our Notified Body is UL (UL international UK Ltd).
yes I will write to UL about it
Regards
Sriram

sriramsl

Involved In Discussions

Do you mean, in English? Because the problem is the language.

Using the example of the EC declaration of conformity (it's the same for the EC certificate)

In English, the term is "EC DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY".

In French, it is "DÉCLARATION CE DE CONFORMITÉ".

IN Portuguese it is "DECLARAÇÃO CE DE CONFORMIDADE".

And so on, for all the official EU languages.

So, one possible "solution" to your problem is to have a certificate in another language in which it's is CE. You may ask your NB for that, they probably can issue the certificate in more than one language. Then you will have a CE "certificate"(a CE certificat in French or a Certificado CE in Portuguese for example).
Thanks Marcelo for your reply.
Yes in English, the certificate we get from our Notified Body UL is "EC Certificate"
Earlier our NB was SGS, it was the same case and it is to do with the language as you mentioned.
Thanks anyway
Regards
Sriram

L

LFZR88

Hi,
We have a manufacturing site in France certified by LNE and interestingly (which may help you) they call it Attestation CE/EC Certificate - proving it is the same thing.

sriramsl

Involved In Discussions

Dear LFZR88
Thanks for the reply. Can you send me the certificate, it will surely help
Regards
Sriram

Top Bottom