ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report

O

orionz06

Hello,
I am new to the forums, and fairly fresh into the field. I have been asked to work on a project that would take a paper trail ecr-ecn to a database where they can be stored and edited. The flow is to be
idea-->
ECN-->
email to list A-->
approve--> or revise--> email to list A-->approve (revise repeats)->
approval criteria met (ie, president signs off)
sponsor generates ECN-->
email to all parties effected (effectively list B)

i have a form that is in excel format, and that is about it...

does anyone have suggestions or a template in access that may make this an easier task, especially for an access newb (opened it for the first time in my life 3 minutes ago)

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: ECN to ECR database with email report

It's possible in Access but it depends how much time you have to master it! It is not the quickest thing to master but once you learn the basics it is very useful! But it takes time.

The only trouble is things coming in and out the database. It quite feasible and easy to to email people data from Access, it uses a simple macro, but what's emailed? A report (generated by Access?) a file? a simple piece of text? How is this updated back into the database and then back out again.

Please remember Databases are there to store data, so anything you design must have this as there primary focus. All other things such as reporting and emailing etc... are nice bits to facilitate the communication of the data.

If the spreadsheet works well, use it. But if you really want to explore Access (and it is very good once you know how to use it) then visit this forum, which I find invaluable:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/

Access is an excellent tool which can eliminate so much manual administration and cetralise many administration processes, but you need to design it correctly to start with!!!

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin

Acess is an 'add on' (costs extra), isn't it? Or is it part of Microsoft Office like Excel is?

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource

Acess is an 'add on', isn't it? Or is it part of Microsoft Office like Excel is?
Access is part of the office suite, at least up to 2003. In fact 2007 is the same as I have demo'd it! (actually that may not be true, but upto 2003 Access has always come with office.)

A

andygr

Re: ECN to ECR Database with Email Report

concider looking at other options also such as having someone create what you need. I willl never be as good as some of those who love to create code because they like to. I only do it because I have to.
Look at this for coding help. I would sugest MySQL/SQL data base and PHP or ASP coding to get what you want.
getafreelancer.com
:2cents:

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

FYI: There is a free office suite which has nearly 99% of the features of Microsoft Office, including a database like Access and a spreadsheet like Excel which is completely compatible with each of the Microsoft counterpart modules, including the ability to convert files to pdf files. The software is called Open Office and is downloadable for free from [SIZE=-1]www.openoffice.org/

I'm pretty sure we have several discussion threads about the software here in the Cove.

I have no personal connection to Open Office other than having a copy on my own computer in addition to Microsoft Office.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Also FYI and more on topic:
Depending on the size and complexity of the organization, and especially on the ability and availability of code writers within the organization, it is often better to buy off-the-shelf solutions than to re-invent the wheel in-house.

I've written on this topic throughout the years here in the Cove. Most recently, I wrote[/SIZE] http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=203251&postcount=3)
I've written and made presentations on EDM (electronic document management) for at least the last seven years. Here's one link that describes the basis of what is available. The organization needs to balance features with those they NEED (not just want) against the cost and ease of implementation. Remember, many organizations survived very well for years on relatively efficient paper-based systems.
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.ph...9&postcount=15
Also, look at this one
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.ph...24&postcount=7
I have seen several web-based systems that seemed to have a good mix between security and wide availability.

Almost ANY of the modern systems will send electronic notice to pertinent parties at various stages in the development of a document. Further, they should keep an audit trail of responses and acknowledgments. Most importantly, once the new version of a document is approved and published, the previous, obsolete version is no long available to the casual viewer, only to a select few with review security clearance.
I hope this helps you get perspective on the situation you face.

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hello,
I am new to the forums, and fairly fresh into the field. I have been asked to work on a project that would take a paper trail ecr-ecn to a database where they can be stored and edited. The flow is to be
idea-->
ECN-->
email to list A-->
approve--> or revise--> email to list A-->approve (revise repeats)->
approval criteria met (ie, president signs off)
sponsor generates ECN-->
email to all parties effected (effectively list B)

i have a form that is in excel format, and that is about it...

does anyone have suggestions or a template in access that may make this an easier task, especially for an access newb (opened it for the first time in my life 3 minutes ago)

Thanks
Take a look at a program called Qualtrax it's a document control program but it also lets you use a feature called "workflows".

al40

B

barbt

Hi OrionZ06

we designed our ECN exactly as you described using Lotus Notes. After every change to the initial document, an email is generated describing the change, and it can be sent to anyone in the company. works just fine.

good luck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M Is ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Necessary for Part Number Change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Managing ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Blueprints Database..any solutions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R What's the difference between Engineering (ECN) and Process (PCN) Change Notes? FMEA and Control Plans 4
G Engineering Change Request (ECR) / Notice (ECN) - Seeking Example Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Raffy ECN (Engineering Change Notice) / ECO (Engineering Change Order) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Parts included/not included in ECO/ECN Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C DCN or ECN for Initial Release of FMEA & CP and subsequent changes? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ECN Required for Customer Labeling Change Request? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A ECR & ECN - Looking for advice and Spreadsheet Example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Function of a Change Number in our ECN / document vault program as a tie-in Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Looking for an ECO/ECN logging software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S ECN Procedure or Work Instruction (WI) for Product Changes example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Marc Acronym ECN - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
Bev D Essential References for Practical Quality Engineering Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Marc Engineering Technician - X-ray Imaging - Suspense 30 Nov 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
J Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
2 First Article Requirements for Revision Changes of Engineering AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0