ECR & ECN - Looking for advice and Spreadsheet Example

A

AlanSox

I just starting working for a start-up company and have been tasked with setting up a ECR / ECN spreadsheet to track problems. I have worked with ECR and ECNs in my past jobs but it was with a automated systems. I have some questions for the experts here

1. Should the ECR and ECN be listed in separate worksheets or spreadsheets ? I know a ECR can result in a ECN but a ECN can be created by itself. Any advice on how to separate the two ?

2. Advice on what should be listed on the spreadsheet.
For ECR - I was going to list the following
Description of Problem
Serverity
Actions Taken
Owner
Next Action

3. I'm looking for any sample spreadsheets for ECR / ECN tracking

Thank You for any assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I know a ECR can result in a ECN but a ECN can be created by itself. Any advice on how to separate the two ?
How can an ECN be created by itself. There must be some driver for a change, and it can include a design or engineering error also.
Once an engineering specification is released, any change requested by anyone including the engineering approver has to follow the ECR >>> ECN route, when you talk a system.
Just separate them, as simple as two sheets in an MS excel file, or two pages in a MS word file.
One is a request anyone can raise, the ECR., and this must be easily available to everyone across the organization.
Also look at the similar discussion threads down this page...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Engineering Change Request (ECR) / Notice (ECN) - Seeking Example Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S ECR - meaning of "Control Item Affected: Yes or no" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
V ECR/DCR Process Flow - What changes require an ECR vs. a DCR Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q ECR (Engineering Change Request) or NCR (Nonconformance Report) in Fabrication? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Formula for Prioritizing Engineering Change Requests (ECR)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q ECR?s (Engineering Change Requests) in Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
9 ECR (Engineering Change Request) process - Please critique / review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
K When to use an Engineering Change Request (ECR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Advice on Engineering Change Request (ECR) software Software Quality Assurance 4
sardonyx ECR (Engineering Change Request) Flowchart - Is this a work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Acronym ECR - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
R Parts included/not included in ECO/ECN Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A AS9100. 7.1.3 Configuration Management. PCB production. ECN. Revision Control. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
C DCN or ECN for Initial Release of FMEA & CP and subsequent changes? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M ECN Required for Customer Labeling Change Request? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Function of a Change Number in our ECN / document vault program as a tie-in Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
M Is ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Necessary for Part Number Change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Looking for an ECO/ECN logging software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
pammesue Managing ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Blueprints Database..any solutions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R What's the difference between Engineering (ECN) and Process (PCN) Change Notes? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S ECN Procedure or Work Instruction (WI) for Product Changes example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Marc Acronym ECN - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
Raffy ECN (Engineering Change Notice) / ECO (Engineering Change Order) System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
V ISO 50001 - looking for a generic checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Looking for a template SOP for UDI implementation for EU Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A New to QC, looking for resources Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
A We're currently looking for any studies performed on various PPE materials Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2