ECR (Engineering Change Request) Flowchart - Is this a work instruction

S

sardonyx

Does ECR flowchart considered a work instruction?
Can I submit an ECR flowchart by itself? or should I put this as attachment of a procedure? I'm thinking of submitting an ECR flowchart to use it as a visual aid for engineers just in case they forget the process. Is this possible?

Please help.:confused:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
What information is on the flow chart? If enough information is present, a flow chart can be sufficient.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

sardonyx said:
Does ECR flowchart considered a work instruction?
Can I submit an ECR flowchart by itself? or should I put this as attachment of a procedure? I'm thinking of submitting an ECR flowchart to use it as a visual aid for engineers just in case they forget the process. Is this possible?

Please help.:confused:

I think as many procedures and instructions as possible should be in the form of a flowchart. Easy to read, easy to post, easy to follow! All good things.

--QG

S

sardonyx

Sorry I forgot to put, it's an ECR Process Flowchart, from create/update, submit, review, approve document to its release. I put the title as ECR process flowchart, does it have to go under quality process? This is a supporting document of a control of document procedure. Or maybe change the title?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
In my mind the form is a work instruction in itself and does not need any additional documentation. Build the form so it drives the people to do all the actions in the correct sequence. Why do you need more?

M

mikoyan

When I create procedures, I try to use flow charts as much as possible. In the little boxes and what not, I try to put as much information as possible to show what needs to get done. Something visual like a flow chart is alot easier to follow than a bunch of words.

To answer you question, it can be whatever you want to call it.

S

sardonyx

Thanks for all your responses. :thanx: I was just confused if what level is a flowchart in a QMS pyramid like Quality policy is the top one, followed by procedures, and then work instruction as the 3rd level (correctly me if 'm wrong) and so forth. Is flowchart the same level as work instruction? or can be the same level as procedures? :bonk:

AndyN

Moved On
Howard Atkins said:
In my mind the form is a work instruction in itself and does not need any additional documentation. Build the form so it drives the people to do all the actions in the correct sequence. Why do you need more?

Pure wisdom! Thanks Howard!

If the form is designed correctly then it becomes the instruction itself. A bit like the IRS tax forms - designed for 'most' folks to be able to follow, so your ECR should be good for a smaller population....

Andy

S

sardonyx

We already have an ECR form, I'm trying to create a flowchart to show the procedure from creating a new document/updating existing document to approving the document. I'm sorry for the confusion but I guess my flowchart is not about an ECR process it's more on how to get a document approve before submitting it for an ECR. We have a little bit of confusion here when submitting documents and I'm trying to simplify the flowchart so that non-technical requestor can easily understand the procedure through a flowchart. And my question is, "does the flowchart fall under the work instruction? or does flowchart is another type of document (same level of work instruction)? Can I just include this flowchart under Doc. Control Procedure? Or can I submit this as by flowchart by itself? Thanks for any help.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Call it what you like

As document control is a Shall for procedures then the flowchart should be part of the procedure or all of the procedure.
See this thread Formats: Text Procedures vs. Flow Charts and search for other similar threads.

You seem to be getting hung up on the name, this is not important apart from the mandatory procedures. As long as it works call it what you like, for example Controlled Document is a neutral term that explains exactly what it is.:agree1:

Top Bottom