ECR (Engineering Change Request) or NCR (Nonconformance Report) in Fabrication?

Q

QAMTY

Hi all
I ´d like to hear from you about about the ECR´s
Focusing on ISO , what is the purpose of ECR´s?
In my opinion, it is to have evidence (records) of changes
To documents in Engineering after they have been approved for construction.
This way we can see how many changes are occurring and what other issues arise in the changes (change of scope, some cost involved, etc.)
But recently I had a case where there was not an ECR exactly, what it happened , was that we forgot to include one mechanical part for a fabrication, that required to Create a new drawing to include the forgotten part.
But really it was not an ECR, how do you consider this case?
As a NCR or an ECR?

Thanks for your help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all
This way we can see how many changes are occurring and what other issues arise in the changes (change of scope, some cost involved, etc.)
But recently I had a case where there was not an ECR exactly, what it happened , was that we forgot to include one mechanical part for a fabrication, that required to Create a new drawing to include the forgotten part.
As a NCR or an ECR?

Thanks for your help

ISO 9001 does not prescribe ECR, it is up to the organization how to do to manage change and related records.
To respond to your question, if there was a deviation or non compliance to an internal procedure, this could carry to a non conformity , so to a corrective action or as you said NCR. You shall fix the root cause and then activate the corrective action.
Hope this helps.

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all

Thanks for your help
Qamnty; Gusys is right but also incorrect in a sense. ECNs are used to record and describe required changes. The important point is the reason for the ECN.

If they are customer driven then, in my view, they would not be a non conformance. This may even apply internally where the need or desire to change is centered on the customer and is suggested to the customer for their benefit.

Two jobs ago I worked for a company who made transportable accommodation units and some ECNs were for these sorts of reasons so in a nutshell I'm saying that wether or not its an NC or an improvement depends on the reason why.

S

ssz102

i think ECR&O is a way of manage and control document and product change;
and this method had got approvaled the public, so it's the easy way before if you didn't find out the better way than this method

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi all
As a NCR or an ECR?

Thanks for your help

QAMTY,

As I read it you say the item was built to conform to engineering dwgs but the dwgs were incomplete.

The ECR can be used to stop shipment of the incomplete item while the ECR ensures the missing part is designed, verified and validated (see 7.3.7).

Then you may decide to whether to issue a CAR to determine and eliminate the root causes of issuing incomplete design information.

Issuing an NCR on the item when it conforms could undermine confidence in the management system.

In this case use the ECR and update the design change control procedure to show how the ECR can also be used to stop processing or shipment of incomplete items that conform to incomplete designs.

John

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Qamnty; Gusys is right but also incorrect in a sense. ECNs are used to record and describe required changes. The important point is the reason for the ECN.

If they are customer driven then, in my view, they would not be a non conformance. This may even apply internally where the need or desire to change is centered on the customer and is suggested to the customer for their benefit.

Two jobs ago I worked for a company who made transportable accommodation units and some ECNs were for these sorts of reasons so in a nutshell I'm saying that wether or not its an NC or an improvement depends on the reason why.
Hi kgott.
I have understood your right point.
However, the organization could use both ECR and NCR. ECR to modify the drawing to include the right part ( as QAMNTY said) and then also decide to go for a corrective action ( NCR) given that the organizatin would like to fix the corrective action based upon identified root cause.:bigwave:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi all
As a NCR or an ECR?

Thanks for your help

QAMTY,

As I read it you say the item was built to conform to engineering dwgs but the dwgs were incomplete.

The ECR can be used to stop shipment of the incomplete item while the ECR ensures the missing part is designed, verified and validated (see 7.3.7).

Then you may decide to whether to issue a CAR to determine and eliminate the root causes of issuing incomplete design information.

Issuing an NCR on the item when it conforms could undermine confidence in the management system.

In this case use the ECR and update the design change control procedure to show how the ECR can also be used to stop processing or shipment of incomplete items that conform to incomplete designs.

John
If I read the OP correctly, a product was found to be missing a required component with the reason being that the component was inadvertently omitted from the documentation. The product was made according to the available specifications. This is one of those "The operation was a success but the patient died" situations, and certainly involves a nonconformities,one in the final product and another in the product development process.

Calling a nonconformity something else doesn't alter reality. There might be a situation in the OP's company where NCRs are used only for nonconforming product, and some other medium is used for process nonconformities. I don't know why this would be the case, but the way I see it there are two nonconformities and an engineering change (ECR, ECN, whatever) will be need to fix one of them, and something else (CA, perhaps) will be need to fix the process problem.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Your NCR when analysed must have a CA in such a case.
One of the CA (or correction) is the ECN which will include the forgot part.
Another CA is why it was forgot, so that you do not have missed parts again in the future.

Q

QAMTY

Thanks to all

It really clarified me the point.

First to raise the NCR, then the CA and the ECR.

Thanks again

Q

QAMTY

Thanks Gusys

Well, it is not found exactly as ECR, but It is the same concept
stated in 7.3.7 dont you think so?

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Formula for Prioritizing Engineering Change Requests (ECR)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q ECR?s (Engineering Change Requests) in Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
9 ECR (Engineering Change Request) process - Please critique / review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K When to use an Engineering Change Request (ECR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Advice on Engineering Change Request (ECR) software Software Quality Assurance 4
sardonyx ECR (Engineering Change Request) Flowchart - Is this a work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Engineering Change Request (ECR) / Notice (ECN) - Seeking Example Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S ECR - meaning of "Control Item Affected: Yes or no" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A ECR & ECN - Looking for advice and Spreadsheet Example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V ECR/DCR Process Flow - What changes require an ECR vs. a DCR Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Acronym ECR - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Engineering Technician - X-ray Imaging - Suspense 30 Nov 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14