ECR (Engineering Change Request) process - Please critique / review

93ramvert

O.K. I'm having serious problems with my engineers following the ECR procedure, They're saying this isn't how they have ever done it. I have rewritten procedures I have used and combined them with some other procedures that I have researched and made it work with what we have to use at this company. Can you review the process below and tell me if it's me or if it's just people not wanting to get on board. The One person that follows this procedure has no issues with it and everything flows smoothly. Feedback good or bad is welcome!!!! I know ECR may not be the ideal term to use but it's what we use here.

5.4.2.1 Personnel on all levels are encouraged to identify the need for, and purpose changes to engineering drawings. Personnel are also encouraged to critically evaluate the drawings they use and request revisions to correct errors and inconsistencies or to provide improvements.

5.4.2.2 The originator of a change request will obtain a copy of the documentation that is to be revised from the “Released” folder on the drafting server so as to obtain the most current revision level.

5.4.2.3 The originator will then Mark-up drawing as required and completely fill out section 1 of the ECR form and forward the package to the Quality Manager or his/her designee.

5.4.2.4 The Quality Manager or his/her designee will assign an ECR Control Number from the ECR Log. The number assigned will contain the current calendar year and a consecutive number ex. ECR-2007-06, where ECR stands for Engineering Change Request, 2007 stands for the year 2007 and 06 stands for the sixth ECR assigned in that year.

5.4.2.5 As part of assigning an ECR Control Number, Quality is to watermark the drawing in the released folder as “Under Revision, ECR No.” so personnel pulling the drawing are aware that the there is a pending change.

5.4.2.6 The ECR will then be converted to PDF Format and be saved in the Engineering Change Request folder in the following location on the Kronus server: \\Kronus\QUALITY_SYS|AS9100 TDI Quality Management System\Engineering Change Requests, under the current calendar year.

5.4.2.7 The Quality Manager will then notify the Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee that the ECR is in the folder.

5.4.2.8 The Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee will fill out section 2 and review the ECR for the following:

5.4.2.8.1 The technical impact of the change on the affected processes, drawings, and or product

5.4.2.8.2 Other necessary reviewers, to include customer engineering.

5.4.2.9 When the Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee is satisfied the change is acceptable, he/she shall electronically sign and date Section 2 of the ECR Form and distributes it to a designer/draftsmen for change implementation.

5.4.2.10 The designer/draftsmen will make the necessary changes to the drawing as required: enter the change information into the revision block to include ECR #, change revision number and date.

5.4.2.11 Once the change to the drawing is complete, the responsible designer/draftsmen will sign-off the ECR Form on the “Document Prepared By” line in Section 3. The drawing is saved as a “B” sized PDF File in the Job folders “Not Released” folder.

5.4.2.12 The ECR will then be forwarded to the Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee for review and approval.

5.4.2.13 The Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee will review the newly revised drawing(s) for accuracy and completion per the intent of the change requested and to ensure it meets the technical requirements. If acceptable he/she will check the appropriate box in Section 4 of the ECR Form, electronically initials and dates the form, and checks the approved box. The ECR is then forwarded to Operations along with the newly revised drawing(s).

5.4.2.14 The V.P.O or his/her designee will review the newly revised drawing(s) for accuracy and completion per the intent of the change requested.

5.4.2.14.1 The Technical impact of the change on the affected processes, drawings, and or product.

5.4.2.14.2 Issues that pertain to production

5.4.2.15 When operation’s is satisfied the change is acceptable, he/she electronically initials and dates section 4 of the form, checks off the approved box and then forwards the ECR to Quality.

5.4.2.16 The Quality Manager or his/her designee will review the newly revised drawing(s) for accuracy and completion per the intent of the change requested. When quality is satisfied the change is acceptable he/she electronically initials and dates section 4 of the form, checks off the approved box.

5.4.2.17 If for any reason any of the “Not Approved” boxes is checked, the person not approving the change will set up a meeting to discuss required changes and form will be updated to show change.

5.4.2.18 If ECR is not signed by all required parties up to the “Quality Initials” portion of section 4 the ECR will be rejected by Quality and returned to engineering.

5.4.2.19 Once all “Approved” boxes have been checked and all signatures and initials are gathered up to the “Quality Initials” point on the ECR, quality shall watermark the revised drawing as “APPROVED” and place it in the appropriate “Released” job folder in the drafting server. The replaced revision will be moved to the archive folder of the job file. All “Controlled” copies of the old document / drawing shall be collected and destroyed and the Master Document List will be updated to show newest revision(s).

5.4.2.20 The Quality Manager or his/her designee shall file the completed ECR Form numerically in a closed ECR file. The ECR Log will be updated to show that the status of the ECR as complete.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: E.C.R. process

O.K. I'm having serious problems with my engineers following the ECR procedure, They're saying this isn't how they have ever done it.
Is there a reason why the procedure isn't written to document how they actually perform the task. I don't mean to sound harsh - but it sounds like you are enforcing how you think the process should work. But the current process may work just fine "as is" for your company.

I would suggest starting over, interviewing the Engineers to see exactly how they perform their job, review against the requirments, and write a procedure that reflects what is actually done.

93ramvert

Is there a reason why the procedure isn't written to document how they actually perform the task. I don't mean to sound harsh - but it sounds like you are enforcing how you think the process should work. But the current process may work just fine "as is" for your company.

I would suggest starting over, interviewing the Engineers to see exactly how they perform their job, review against the requirments, and write a procedure that reflects what is actually done.
Absolutely because no one ever did it, prior to my coming on board. Drawings would get handwritten changes as they were being manufactured and the drawings were then thrown into a file. So when the company would repeat the job the mistakes would have to be gone through again and something different was done, A because the same guy didn't build it, and B because the guy who would be building it a second time doesn't know it had been previously built.

I didn't come in and change the ECR process that they worked with. They just didn't have one so I put one in place. The ones complaining have come in after the fact "New Hires" and say this is not how I've ever done it. So would you suggestion be to change a process every time I hire someone new to accomadate the way they did it in another company?

RickRay

Registered Visitor
It looks pretty typical to me. The new hires are probably used to doing it a certain way and maybe they have some ideas for this. I would ask them, OK what exactly is different or what is not working. Whining and complaining is not helpful at all. Since one of the engineers is working the system successfully you may want to recruit this person to help train the others.

A

andygr

Sounds like a perfect Lean event for a implementing your LP training:cool:
At the very least try and get the disenting engineers to actualy define what they do and get once you have that ask the obvious questions that are probable there. Expect the "this is the way I have always done it" and push for the why behind their response. See if you can get them to admit that they just do not want to change or be held accountable. :2cents:

93ramvert

Sounds like a perfect Lean event for a implementing your LP training:cool:
At the very least try and get the disenting engineers to actualy define what they do and get once you have that ask the obvious questions that are probable there. Expect the "this is the way I have always done it" and push for the why behind their response. See if you can get them to admit that they just do not want to change or be held accountable. :2cents:
I think you hit the nail on the head. :bonk: It causes them a bit of work.

D

ddunn

5.4.2.8 The Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee will fill out section 2 and review the ECR for the following:

5.4.2.8.1 The technical impact of the change on the affected processes, drawings, and or product

5.4.2.8.2 Other necessary reviewers, to include customer engineering.

5.4.2.9 When the Engineer in charge of the project or the Engineering Manager or his/her designee is satisfied the change is acceptable, he/she shall electronically sign and date Section 2 of the ECR Form and distributes it to a designer/draftsmen for change implementation.
What is the process if the requested change is not acceptable? I've run into cases where a change was requested because the originator misread a drawing or where the requested change would have anegative impact on the product.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I didn't come in and change the ECR process that they worked with. They just didn't have one so I put one in place. The ones complaining have come in after the fact "New Hires" and say this is not how I've ever done it. So would you suggestion be to change a process every time I hire someone new to accomadate the way they did it in another company?
Sounds like you have a problem with buy-in. That was why I suggested interviewing the engineers to see how they actually do it. One of the challanges I face is that each one of our engineers does things just a little different. The enginneering group has worked to standardize these differences.

C

COM_DC

ECR (Engineering Change Request) process

At my company, we currently have an ECO (engineering change order) process without having to create/approve an ECR (engineering change request). I know large company's have both a change request prior to actually creating/implementing the ECO. What do any of you believe is the advantage of having the ECR process.

A

alspread

Comments::2cents:
1.) A flow chart might help to better understand exactly what's going on in all of these steps. I'm getting a little lost in all of the text. Maybe it's just me, but I like things a little more visual.
2.) The process is set up in series rather than in parallel in a couple of areas (i.e. this guy gets it and reviews for x, then this guy gets it and reviews for y, then this guy gets it and reviews for z). Can some of these steps be done in parallel or can they be moved down the command change to the lowest responsible level?
3.) I never saw any place where the originator knows whether or not his/her request was accepted, approved, or implemented (feedback to originator).

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q ECR (Engineering Change Request) or NCR (Nonconformance Report) in Fabrication? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Formula for Prioritizing Engineering Change Requests (ECR)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q ECR?s (Engineering Change Requests) in Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K When to use an Engineering Change Request (ECR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
U Advice on Engineering Change Request (ECR) software Software Quality Assurance 4
sardonyx ECR (Engineering Change Request) Flowchart - Is this a work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Engineering Change Request (ECR) / Notice (ECN) - Seeking Example Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
N Engineering Changes (ECR, ECO, ECN) and how they should be Structured Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Filtering ECR/ECO by quality management? Managing Engineering Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Electronic ECO/ECR Process - Software recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Drowning in ECR/ECO/ECN Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J ECR to ECO to ECN Procedure and numbering system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S ECR - meaning of "Control Item Affected: Yes or no" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L How to control some Documents and Records (ECN's and ECR's) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Help with ECR/DCR Document Change Control Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A ECR & ECN - Looking for advice and Spreadsheet Example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V ECR/DCR Process Flow - What changes require an ECR vs. a DCR Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M CAR vs ECO/ECN - How do I merge CAR with ECO or ECR/ECN procedure seemlessly Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Acronym ECR - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Engineering Technician - X-ray Imaging - Suspense 30 Nov 2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
I Good resources for learning statistics (quality engineering related) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
B Lessons Learned Implementing ISO 50001 (Chemical Engineering Progress) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Engineering Specifications - APQP APQP and PPAP 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
I Document templates required for ISO ISO 45001 - Engineering Construction company Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
R The alignments and contradiction in Quality Engineering and management between the Automotive and Aerospace industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Creating WIs for a Heavy Civil Engineering Services company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
S Ballooned Drawings and Engineering Changes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D Are detailed engineering requirements Design Inputs or Design Outputs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14