Effective Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Unused Devices

M

mark parent

During an Audit they found that the process for ensuring that test equipment is calibrated or verified at specified intervals is not entirely effective.
The OE was thread gages are not being calibrated on annual cycles as established by our company.

I encase the tread gages in a coating of plastic dip after it has been Calibrated. If the seal is not broken when it comes time to re-cal then I just roll it over due to lack of use (which is proven by the unbroken seal). Is this accecptable Method.

K

KwalityWonk

Hey Mark-

I have used a similar method for thread gages and set rings, depth mic rods, etc. The key is to ensure that your procedures are clear that the "clock" starts when the gage is issued for use,(or the seal is broken) and that all appropriate records and labeling are updated accordingly. As long as you have procedures and records to support your actions, an auditor should not have an issue.:agree1:

M

mark parent

During our Audit, the Auditor pulled a thread gage and the gage was calibrated over a year ago and it was not used, so I updated the sticker and in my system and recorded that the gage was not used no work done and put a new sticker on it. They said that I would have to re-cal even if the gage was not used.

M

mark parent

Is there anything in a spec that I can use for back up to use this method? or would my procedure take care of that.

K

KwalityWonk

Mark,

I do not believe there is a direct page and paragraph in any of the specs that would be a definitive support of this method, however there are various areas related to Calibration Intervals and Interval anaysis that would support your position. As long as your procedures are clear on HOW you are going to accomplish it, and you are following your procedures, you should be fine.

Another way to look at thread gages is to set the interval by number of uses, since after all, wear occurs only when used. If never used, it would never require Calibration/Verification. The key is to get you procedures right and ensure you maintain records.

The pertinent specs would be ISO 10012, ANSI/NCSL Z540.3, and my personal favorite NCSL RP-1. (recommended practice for calibration interval analysis). Ahhhh.... skip that last one and just go find a piece of FREE SOFTWARE from Integrated Sciences Group call A3 Interval Tester.

Hope this helps!

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
During our Audit, the Auditor pulled a thread gage and the gage was calibrated over a year ago and it was not used, so I updated the sticker and in my system and recorded that the gage was not used no work done and put a new sticker on it. They said that I would have to re-cal even if the gage was not used.

The auditor raised up the non conformity becuase even if it was not used, the environment could have influence on it...so you shall recalle and calibrate again:bigwave:

R

rclanzillotto

Perhaps the auditor overstepped its bounds a bit. I've contacted the test equipment manufacturer for their recommendations regarding calibration, when the requirement was unclear to me. It would be difficult for an auditor to refute manufacturer's recommendations

M

mark parent

The Thread gage was dipped in wax so the gage was safe from damage and use, do you still think in need to re Calibrate or can I just re-sticker it?

Top Bottom